U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM

7 posts, read 22,009 times

Advertisements

I don't even live in Omaha yet, but on our scouting trip, my fiance and I went to California Bowl, a hole in the wall Mongolian BBQ place in Old Market and loved it! Not the fanciest, most presentable place to eat, but great food and good price. If you're looking for flavor rich Asian cuisine, gotta try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:03 PM

536 posts, read 1,950,611 times
Dave and Buster's has pretty good food an "adult" arcade. It rocks when you have a couple of beers in you, I think I played trivia for about 3 hours one night.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitalATL View Post
I don't even live in Omaha yet, but on our scouting trip, my fiance and I went to California Bowl, a hole in the wall Mongolian BBQ place in Old Market and loved it! Not the fanciest, most presentable place to eat, but great food and good price. If you're looking for flavor rich Asian cuisine, gotta try it.
If you like Mongolian, try one of the 3 HuHot mongolian grills in Omaha. They're the best Mongolian restaurants anywhere.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 AM

119 posts, read 386,971 times
Best place to eat... wow, there are so many, depending on your tastes... but here goes...

Lo Solo Mio's, Bella Vita, or Nicolla's for Itallian. Lo Solo Mio's is a midtown classic, I love their chicken parmesean! Bella Vita is a newer place in Elkhorn, but its in an old building and is very charming, and the food is also terrific and reasonably priced! We had a waiter there whose voice sounded like a young Christopher Walken, but smoother... he was super cool! Nicolla's is downtown near the old market. Its a tiny place that has an outdoor courtyard to eat in. Their bruchetta is fantastic! I only ate their once, and had the pasta arrabiatta... which is a spicy marinara. I was suprised when they asked me how spicy on a scale of 1 to 5... never had an itallian restaraunt ask this. I got a 3, which was almost too spicy for my taste to obscure the taste of the sauce. But the sauce was still so good and the meatballs, even better... it all tasted very fresh and I can't wait to take my dad their sometime (he grew up with an Itallian mother and they both complain that too many itallian restaraunts in Omaha aren't as good as they were "back in the day")

Hector's for Mexican. I'm sure its up for debate how Hector's holds up to the Mexican restaraunts in South Omaha (which I haven't ventured to). I'm a picky eater and really only eat tacos as far as mexican-type food is concerned. Their carne asada is very tasty.... as are the margaritas. The mariachi's are a lot of fun to watch on the weekends. My fiance and I go to the newer one around 156th and Pacific because the atmosphere is nicer. The old one on 84th just looks like its stuck in 1985...

Mama's Pizza for Pizza! I grew up eating Godfather's Pizza (a regional chain which I LOVE) and my fiance grew up eating Mama's on Saddlecreek Rd, back when it still had shag carpet on the walls. I am a convert now. Compared to similar bar style pizza joints like Big Fred's and Sortino's, I think its way better... Nice thick cheese, excellent sauce, excellent crust. The Saddlecreek Mama's seems a bit better than the new one out on 156th and Pacific.

Just a short list... I should probably do some work now!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,478,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Dave and Buster's has pretty good food an "adult" arcade. It rocks when you have a couple of beers in you, I think I played trivia for about 3 hours one night.
been to dave and buster's

they got good food

havent been to Petrows or Gorat or Bohemian Cafe but want to try those places

is Gorat or Bohemian Cafe any good

(lived here in Omaha my whole life, almost 30 years and I havent been to Gorat or Bohemian Cafe (shame on me)

as omaha rocks said: the Jazz Kitchen is good down there by sullivan's

(another good place to eat downtown)

Doozy's is a great sandwich shop. it is near 16th and Farnam near Quinzo's downtown

Los Compayes at 33rd and Q street is good

tacos, and nachos I have had there and it is good food.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,478,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpandora View Post
Best place to eat... wow, there are so many, depending on your tastes... but here goes...

Lo Solo Mio's, Bella Vita, or Nicolla's for Itallian. Lo Solo Mio's is a midtown classic, I love their chicken parmesean! Bella Vita is a newer place in Elkhorn, but its in an old building and is very charming, and the food is also terrific and reasonably priced! We had a waiter there whose voice sounded like a young Christopher Walken, but smoother... he was super cool! Nicolla's is downtown near the old market. Its a tiny place that has an outdoor courtyard to eat in. Their bruchetta is fantastic! I only ate their once, and had the pasta arrabiatta... which is a spicy marinara. I was suprised when they asked me how spicy on a scale of 1 to 5... never had an itallian restaraunt ask this. I got a 3, which was almost too spicy for my taste to obscure the taste of the sauce. But the sauce was still so good and the meatballs, even better... it all tasted very fresh and I can't wait to take my dad their sometime (he grew up with an Itallian mother and they both complain that too many itallian restaraunts in Omaha aren't as good as they were "back in the day")

Hector's for Mexican. I'm sure its up for debate how Hector's holds up to the Mexican restaraunts in South Omaha (which I haven't ventured to). I'm a picky eater and really only eat tacos as far as mexican-type food is concerned. Their carne asada is very tasty.... as are the margaritas. The mariachi's are a lot of fun to watch on the weekends. My fiance and I go to the newer one around 156th and Pacific because the atmosphere is nicer. The old one on 84th just looks like its stuck in 1985...

Mama's Pizza for Pizza! I grew up eating Godfather's Pizza (a regional chain which I LOVE) and my fiance grew up eating Mama's on Saddlecreek Rd, back when it still had shag carpet on the walls. I am a convert now. Compared to similar bar style pizza joints like Big Fred's and Sortino's, I think its way better... Nice thick cheese, excellent sauce, excellent crust. The Saddlecreek Mama's seems a bit better than the new one out on 156th and Pacific.

Just a short list... I should probably do some work now!

is Hector's on 156th and Pacific open on Sundays

cause I will be out there some sunday in a couple of weeks

maybe I will go there for lunch

Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM

481 posts, read 1,153,746 times
The Bohemian Cafe is wonderful! The liver dumpling soup is one of my favorite things in the world. The roast duck is top notch, as well as the svickova. The more I think about it I love everything I've ever had there. If you are a vegetarian do not go! Get the saur kraut and dumplings as your sides. I recomend this place twice.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:25 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,189,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
The Bohemian Cafe is wonderful! The liver dumpling soup is one of my favorite things in the world. The roast duck is top notch, as well as the svickova. The more I think about it I love everything I've ever had there. If you are a vegetarian do not go! Get the saur kraut and dumplings as your sides. I recomend this place twice.
I shudder to imagine what your breath smells like when you walk out of there!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM

481 posts, read 1,153,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I shudder to imagine what your breath smells like when you walk out of there!
Simple. I refer to it as the IFF

1. Iron
2. Flesh
3. Fermentation

Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 AM

119 posts, read 386,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
is Hector's on 156th and Pacific open on Sundays

cause I will be out there some sunday in a couple of weeks

maybe I will go there for lunch
Like many mexican restaraunts, they are closed on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha