U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 PM

262 posts, read 875,625 times

Advertisements

What ever happened to the amusement park that was supposedly going to be built in Council Bluffs? I think there was also some guy that bought the naming rights to "Peony Park" and opened some crappy little park with picnic tables near Wahoo. This area needs an amusement park badly. If friggin' Des Moines can support one, why can't Omaha/Lincoln/Council Bluffs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 PM

13,912 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Here are some pictures, as promised. Some of the photos are from the book "Images of America Omaha's Peony Park an American Legend" by Carl D Jennings.

Peony Park pictures by pheaton - Photobucket

Enjoy the nostalgia.
Thanks man. There is some good stuff in there that brings back lots of memories.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
What ever happened to the amusement park that was supposedly going to be built in Council Bluffs? I think there was also some guy that bought the naming rights to "Peony Park" and opened some crappy little park with picnic tables near Wahoo. This area needs an amusement park badly. If friggin' Des Moines can support one, why can't Omaha/Lincoln/Council Bluffs?
It fell through. I can't remember if it was the Peony Park guy that wanted to build there, or if it was the Port Nebraska guy that wanted to get something going, but it never made it too far.

The Peony Park guy is Carl Jennings. He has a place called Peony Park, but right now it's not much. Home - Peony Park . I think he wants to make it into an amusement park, but probably lacks funds, and I think there was an issue with zoning rights, or being on a flood plain or something like that, issues he will have to overcome or try to get a new location. Hopefully something will develop, but at the moment it doesn't look too promising. He mentioned somewhere a few years back that the Omaha location wasn't always an amusement park, that it started small like this and eventually turned into something. So we'll see. I give the guy props for basically starting something from scratch that took so long to build up.

I agree, we really need something. As I mentioned I think many parks need tourism funding from the state, Nebraska doesn't really pump much money into tourism. Steve Minard the Wild Escape/Port Nebraska guy mentioned in a few e-mails I exchanged with him about a year ago that he was hoping that legislation would be introduced and passed and was going to try to encourage it in the next session of the unicameral, but I suppose that the financial situation of the state really hampered that plan.

You can locate and contact your local senator senator here:
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/senators/senator_find.php

You can encourage him or her to create a bill and/or get behind one supporting increased tourism funds, specificially those needed to develop, construct, and maintain an area amusement park. I throw them an e-mail every now and then mentioning how we must be losing money to Des Moines and Kansas City. Many senators support the idea, but they need more encouragement. .

According to the Port Nebraska website, LB500 was the one we were supposed to be supporting for this, but they seem to have changed this bill to something totally different now.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,461,703 times
Quote:

cause Omahans care more about Huskers than caring about what is best for Omaha

Des Moines even has it's own broadcast stations for ION (see) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFPX

and meanwhile that broadcast channel 48 KOHA (see) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOHA-LP

is still being un-used thanks to Daystar not really caring about having their network on KOHA 48.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:48 PM

216 posts, read 680,467 times
Default Peony Park

I'm pretty sure the one that Carl Jennings wanted to build in Wahoo fell through. It was supposed to be called Peony Park 2, and he wanted to buy back some of the rides that was sold, including the roller coaster. I miss the place, spent many a times there when I was younger. Indian Hills was a cool theater, too bad it was torn down to make a parking lot. Very few theaters were built like that, and this was the last one left in the world. The Ranch Bowl was a ok place to go for bands, same for the OP (but small) Fat Jacks was better, and just across the river. I remember when David Letterman occasionally had some guy on his show giving reports about Fat Jacks. It was funny since I'm originally from Omaha.

If you want to see many pictures of Peony Park, join a group on FB called - I Miss Peony Park, there's some cool ones from many different years. Here's a few I have.
Attached Thumbnails
What Happened to Peony Park-indian-hills-theatre.gif   What Happened to Peony Park-pool.jpg   What Happened to Peony Park-peony-parks-empty-pool..jpg  

Old 08-05-2010, 02:59 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,461,703 times
song in honor of Indian Hills and Stockyard 8 theatres which were both great in Omaha (and I liked btw)

and I am not being sarcastic, I really do miss both Indian Hills and the Stockyards 8 theatres

Old 08-05-2010, 03:43 PM

13,912 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Give me a break dude.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM

262 posts, read 875,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

Des Moines even has it's own broadcast stations for ION (see) KFPX-TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and meanwhile that broadcast channel 48 KOHA (see) KOHA-LP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is still being un-used thanks to Daystar not really caring about having their network on KOHA 48.
What does any of the above crazy ranting have to do with an amusement park?

Any way, I did a little research and discovered that the peony park roller coaster was relocated to Maine and it still operating at some place called "Palace Playland". It is called the "Galaxi Coaster" - Palace Playland - Old Orchard Beach, Maine (http://www.palaceplayland.com/galaxi.htm - broken link)

Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,294 times
Quote:
What does any of the above crazy ranting have to do with an amusement park?

Any way, I did a little research and discovered that the peony park roller coaster was relocated to Maine and it still operating at some place called "Palace Playland". It is called the "Galaxi Coaster" - Palace Playland - Old Orchard Beach, Maine (http://www.palaceplayland.com/galaxi.htm - broken link)
You didn't research my post on page 5. .

http://www.city-data.com/forum/15319933-post42.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha