U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 AM

84 posts, read 201,347 times

Advertisements

I have been offered my first job out of school and it is taking me from Wisconsin to Omaha. I love the midwest and have no problem with the move but I am left with a ton of questions. I am 22 and I will be living on my own not knowing a soul. The closest person I know will be over 3 hours away. I am looking at apartments and from reviews online, I never know what is true and every apartment I am in touch with makes things sound too good to be true considering the reviews. I will be managing an area with 4 stores in Omaha, 2 in Lincoln, 1 in Sioux City, and another 1 in Iowa. I really just want some info on where the best place is to live in your opinions for someone relocating to Omaha, not knowing anyone but still wanting to get out and about and have a social life meeting new people. I am not a huge party animal (gotta grow up sometime right?) like most people may perceive college kids so I can handle living in more of a family oriented neighborhood. I am moving by June 7 so I was hoping to get information as soon as possible. I have looked on apartment websites and e-mailed quite a few but I am looking to hear from the community themselves and everyone on here seems quite helpful.

Basically I am looking for something along the lines of:

A younger community (age wise)
An apartment within the range of anywhere from $500-$800
Nightlife/social scene
Safe neighborhood (not the biggest issue but its helpful)

I know I probably can't have everything I want but any recommendations or first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to spending the next, at least, year with people in Omaha...maybe longer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 AM

also, if anyone has any suggestions about maybe living outside of Omaha such as in Council Bluffs or if you think Lincoln would be a better fit for someone like me (someone who loves the outdoors - hunting, fishing, sports - enjoys going out for a few drinks now and then - doesn't mind driving at all) then let me know.

Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,192,394 times
If I were you I would move Downtown. Plenty of people in your age range living and working down here to get acquainted with and getting to know. There are also plenty of places to live in your price range too.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,100,440 times
^ What he said. ^

I'm actually more in the age range of your parents, so I really don't know where all the "yunguns" hang out. But I do know that there are a lot of apartments available in the downtown to midtown areas. There are also a lot of things, within walking distance, to do. And you have easy access to the Expressway, which takes you quickly to the Interstates.

I have a nephew who lives in an apartment complex over on about 50th & Dodge Street. It's an older building, so the apartments are really pretty cool - if that's a style you're into. I can check with him, if you'd like, and see about prices and availability.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 AM

481 posts, read 1,150,376 times
I would say that Dundee or downtown would be your best bets.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Omaha Rocks...that would be awesome if you could ask your nephew if he likes it there or if he has any recommendations. I have heard from a few people here doing business in Omaha...that their sales reps say the Dundee/Midtown area are the best places to live. I am still continuing to look but all of the info is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM

109 posts, read 227,396 times
Check out Aksarben Village I believe that there are some brand new apartments in that area. That area is right in the middle of town, there is a grocery store (Wholner's) cafes (Starbucks) and restaurants (Amato's) within easy (less than 2 blocks) walking distance. Also, the Keystone trail is right there which connects to almost every walking/biking trail in the metro area.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,192,394 times
AkV might be a little out of the price range from the apartments I've seen.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM

61 posts, read 160,356 times
Benson (always my response)

Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 PM

what about benson?...I honestly have no clue if you are joking or being honest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or