U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

13,919 posts, read 19,098,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Aren't we facing a budget problem shouldn't all issues be on the table? I personally don't think that's the place to start but it needs to be open to discussion right?? That's a huge part of the budget.
The city sets aside a budget every year, so I would gather that his voting against the funding 3 times means 3 years in the past he voted against it. This budget problem came about in the last year.

Also, OPD is very short handed. Trust me, I'm coming back to Omaha to pursue a career with them and I follow them very closely. They have something like 100 or more sworn positions that go unfilled.

A top notch police force is, in my opinion, one of the most important "core" factors to a great city. Great cities usually have great police departments. They are dependent on each other. Daub built OPD back up into a great agency by getting lots of officers on the street and giving them the tools to do their jobs, like helicopters. I don't trust that Suttle will make the police department a high priority. To be fair, at least he wouldn't have been as bad as Vokal in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,273,469 times
Quote:
Aren't we facing a budget problem shouldn't all issues be on the table? I personally don't think that's the place to start but it needs to be open to discussion right?? That's a huge part of the budget.

BTW ... I don't work for Suttle. I'm just offended by Daubs attempts to scare people into thinking if Suttle is mayor their will be more Mexicans in their neighborhoods, preety shameful if you ask me.
Really? Daub said that?! What a racist **** if he did.

Why don't you link us all up to that quote.....

and btw, I would be willing to bet that you either work for or volunteer for Suttle.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 PM

605 posts, read 1,058,774 times
Hal Daub IS slimey, that's why all his campaigns are slimey. Suttle wants to build a bridge, Hal Daub has a history of burning bridges!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,075,704 times
Hal Daub was a pretty good mayor. Everything I've heard about him is that he's abrasive, hard to work with, etc....but he does get things done. I found it telling when my wife's uncle, who is a lifelong democrat told me the thing he likes about Suttle is that he's not Daub. He had nothing good to say about Suttle...other than he's not Daub.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 PM

605 posts, read 1,058,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Hal Daub was a pretty good mayor. Everything I've heard about him is that he's abrasive, hard to work with, etc....but he does get things done. I found it telling when my wife's uncle, who is a lifelong democrat told me the thing he likes about Suttle is that he's not Daub. He had nothing good to say about Suttle...other than he's not Daub.

I did some phonebanking for Suttle the other day, its funny how anyone that is voting for Suttle hates hal Daub. Their number one issue in this election is that the slime that is Hal Daub never becomes Mayor again!!! LOL

Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I did some phonebanking for Suttle the other day, its funny how anyone that is voting for Suttle hates hal Daub. Their number one issue in this election is that the slime that is Hal Daub never becomes Mayor again!!! LOL

In your opinion, is that a good reason to vote for Suttle? Was Daub that bad of a mayor? I happen to think he was pretty decent as a mayor. Of the 2 of them, I'd think Daub would have more ability to get funding/help from Washington to improve our community.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:27 AM

704 posts, read 1,614,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Really? Daub said that?! What a racist **** if he did.

Why don't you link us all up to that quote.....

and btw, I would be willing to bet that you either work for or volunteer for Suttle.

You're right that quote never happened. It just seems to me that's the tactic he's using. Make people scared of something that he actually has no control over.

I wish I had the time to volunteer for any politician, time is a luxury I don't really have. I guess I wouldn't mind being paid by him, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 AM

704 posts, read 1,614,580 times
I just want to clarify my issue with the Hal Daub Ad that I consider to be out of line. We are electing a mayor for our city who will have nothing to do with ending the problem of illegal immigration. Sure he can talk the talk about getting illegal immigrants out of town but the fact is he can't AND it would be stupid to try. Sure he could tell the police department to stop everything and go round up illegal immigrants but that would be a collossal waste of manpower and would not solve any of the issues that this city faces.

The fact is illegal immigration is a hot button issue that people are passionate about for good reason. But there is nothing that either mayoral candidate could do positively or negatively about it. Jim Suttle made a remark that, lucky for Hal Daub was videotaped, where he sounded like he was taking a common sense position on Illegal immigration that many Americans share. Specifically that it is a better use of time and resources to find a way to bring illegal immigrants into the fold of legal society than to throw the baby out with the bath water trying to deport people. Until the Federal government secures the border any efforts on the local level to curb illegal immigration are a waste of money. It would be like beavers trying to stop a flood on the Colorado River if Hoover Dam collapsed.

It's just not an issue in this race but he wants to make it an issue because he has a video clip where Jim Suttle does not sound like Captain America. If he had a clip of Suttle saying that he thought torturing prisoners was wrong, would he be using that implying that is Jim Suttle is mayor you'd be less safe? Because that is what is is doing taking a macro issue and applying it at the micro where there is no relevance to scare people. So he can come out looking the candidate that would protect the flag, baseball, and apple pie.

But then again I could have it all wrong.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I just want to clarify my issue with the Hal Daub Ad that I consider to be out of line. We are electing a mayor for our city who will have nothing to do with ending the problem of illegal immigration. Sure he can talk the talk about getting illegal immigrants out of town but the fact is he can't AND it would be stupid to try. Sure he could tell the police department to stop everything and go round up illegal immigrants but that would be a collossal waste of manpower and would not solve any of the issues that this city faces.

The fact is illegal immigration is a hot button issue that people are passionate about for good reason. But there is nothing that either mayoral candidate could do positively or negatively about it. Jim Suttle made a remark that, lucky for Hal Daub was videotaped, where he sounded like he was taking a common sense position on Illegal immigration that many Americans share. Specifically that it is a better use of time and resources to find a way to bring illegal immigrants into the fold of legal society than to throw the baby out with the bath water trying to deport people. Until the Federal government secures the border any efforts on the local level to curb illegal immigration are a waste of money. It would be like beavers trying to stop a flood on the Colorado River if Hoover Dam collapsed.

It's just not an issue in this race but he wants to make it an issue because he has a video clip where Jim Suttle does not sound like Captain America. If he had a clip of Suttle saying that he thought torturing prisoners was wrong, would he be using that implying that is Jim Suttle is mayor you'd be less safe? Because that is what is is doing taking a macro issue and applying it at the micro where there is no relevance to scare people. So he can come out looking the candidate that would protect the flag, baseball, and apple pie.

But then again I could have it all wrong.

You don't think that Omaha is affected by illegal immigration? We are not a border town...but we've got plenty of folks that are here illegally.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,464,006 times
one good thing hal daub did for omaha

he helped pave the way as mayor for the qwest center being bulit and created for omaha

but other than that, I cant think of anything he did as mayor.

BTW, I am rooting for suttle to win.

BTW, I would be worried for our firefighters if Daub wins.

If I recall right, Hal forced a fire chief out of his job years ago cause the guy refused to be bullied by hal daub
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha