Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post

If I recall right, Hal forced a fire chief out of his job years ago cause the guy refused to be bullied by hal daub

Can you say that Suttle would handle the firefighter and police unions better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I just want to clarify my issue with the Hal Daub Ad that I consider to be out of line. We are electing a mayor for our city who will have nothing to do with ending the problem of illegal immigration. Sure he can talk the talk about getting illegal immigrants out of town but the fact is he can't AND it would be stupid to try. Sure he could tell the police department to stop everything and go round up illegal immigrants but that would be a collossal waste of manpower and would not solve any of the issues that this city faces.

The fact is illegal immigration is a hot button issue that people are passionate about for good reason. But there is nothing that either mayoral candidate could do positively or negatively about it. Jim Suttle made a remark that, lucky for Hal Daub was videotaped, where he sounded like he was taking a common sense position on Illegal immigration that many Americans share. Specifically that it is a better use of time and resources to find a way to bring illegal immigrants into the fold of legal society than to throw the baby out with the bath water trying to deport people. Until the Federal government secures the border any efforts on the local level to curb illegal immigration are a waste of money. It would be like beavers trying to stop a flood on the Colorado River if Hoover Dam collapsed.

It's just not an issue in this race but he wants to make it an issue because he has a video clip where Jim Suttle does not sound like Captain America. If he had a clip of Suttle saying that he thought torturing prisoners was wrong, would he be using that implying that is Jim Suttle is mayor you'd be less safe? Because that is what is is doing taking a macro issue and applying it at the micro where there is no relevance to scare people. So he can come out looking the candidate that would protect the flag, baseball, and apple pie.

But then again I could have it all wrong.

I think that it is equally fair to say that Suttles opinion is not shared by many Americans concerning lax immigration.

Because while it may sound soft and inclusive to say 'lets bring them out of the shadow of illegality and give them citizenship" that does nothing but compound the problem i.e. encourages more illegals who are betting for yet another mass amnesty. After all, did the Reagan amnesty stop illegal immigration? No, it did not.

What you are attempting to sugar coat is Suttles explanation that he does not think that businesses who hire illegals should be held criminally responsible. In other words, who does Suttle represent -- the people, legal citizens and immigrants of Omaha or does he represent the businesses that would hire illegals in order to pay subpar wages and no benefits?
That imo is pretty damn sleazy. And that is something Suttle has yet to address.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:46 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
one good thing hal daub did for omaha

he helped pave the way as mayor for the qwest center being bulit and created for omaha

but other than that, I cant think of anything he did as mayor.

BTW, I am rooting for suttle to win.

BTW, I would be worried for our firefighters if Daub wins.

If I recall right, Hal forced a fire chief out of his job years ago cause the guy refused to be bullied by hal daub
As I mentioned, he was the driving force behind many improvements that brought OPD up to par with other departments it's size.

Hal Daub is the reason OPD has the Abel 1 helicopters.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
As I mentioned, he was the driving force behind many improvements that brought OPD up to par with other departments it's size.

Hal Daub is the reason OPD has the Abel 1 helicopters.
I agree Bosco..

Daub was also integral in establishing a successful push to the revitalization of downtown. It was Daub who was the mayor when Omaha started to bring in jobs, including Union Pacific who was at the time based out of Dallas and Daub was integral in pursuading them to come 'back' to Omaha. And they did..

I would be afraid of a mayor who is hard to talk to for many reasons, but when mayor is hard to talk to because he is good at what he does while the council don't see it.. Then I have faith in that mayor..

I am a registered Democrat is a swing voter, that votes GOP when a good candidate comes around, and I really feel that Daub loves this city and worked very hard at reviving our city from its slowly sinking sinkhole we were in.

I read his vision if he became mayor, and it has me drooling at the prospects of what this city can become. Suttle needs to provide more input into his campaign, but he seems to have some hollow promises as there isn't enough substance to his campaign.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:27 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Hal Daub IS slimey, that's why all his campaigns are slimey. Suttle wants to build a bridge, Hal Daub has a history of burning bridges!!!
Your kidding right?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Your kidding right?
Hal Daub is creepy!!! RECOGNIZE!!!

Democrats are about people! Republicans are about businesses! Hal Daub is about Hal Daub! Jim Suttle wants to build bridges!!! Hal Daub has a history of burning bridges!!!

Don't let Omaha go to HAL in a handbasket!! Vote for Jim Suttle!!

To Go Ne: I canvass and phonebank for Suttle! Get over it!!!! LOL

Old 05-11-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Hal Daub is creepy!!! RECOGNIZE!!!

Democrats are about people! Republicans are about businesses! Hal Daub is about Hal Daub! Jim Suttle wants to build bridges!!! Hal Daub has a history of burning bridges!!!

Don't let Omaha go to HAL in a handbasket!! Vote for Jim Suttle!!

To Go Ne: I canvass and phonebank for Suttle! Get over it!!!! LOL
You're a real tool, you know that?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You don't think that Omaha is affected by illegal immigration? We are not a border town...but we've got plenty of folks that are here illegally.

Of course we are affected by illegal immigration. We just are not able to do anything about it with the resources we have until something is done at the federal level. It would be a huge waste of resources for us to even try.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,055 times
I think we are fairly luck that whoever wins is going to be competent and has Omaha's best interest at heart. My concern as I have tried to staate time and again in this thread is that by playing the iimigration Daub is unfailry diverting away from issues that are really on the table. Everyone keeps thinking I am saying that Illegal immigration is not an issue. completely wrong, it is a huge issue, but one that we cannot not tackle at the city level with our resources.

Therefore I think the campaign tactic of trying to incite fear over illigal immigration is a little slimy and inderhanded. I do think that Daub would be a fine mayor, as would Suttle. For me they both know how to do the job so I personally will vote for the one I respect more.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I think we are fairly luck that whoever wins is going to be competent and has Omaha's best interest at heart. My concern as I have tried to staate time and again in this thread is that by playing the iimigration Daub is unfailry diverting away from issues that are really on the table. Everyone keeps thinking I am saying that Illegal immigration is not an issue. completely wrong, it is a huge issue, but one that we cannot not tackle at the city level with our resources.

Therefore I think the campaign tactic of trying to incite fear over illigal immigration is a little slimy and inderhanded. I do think that Daub would be a fine mayor, as would Suttle. For me they both know how to do the job so I personally will vote for the one I respect more.
Ask DTO if Suttle "knows how to do the job" and see what he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha