Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM

370 posts, read 1,353,233 times

Advertisements

Read 60-6,123 and 60-6,159 and see if those help or hinder your understanding of the issue. Not really clear in either of those.

I know I was taught in driver's ed to wait behind the crosswalk to make your left turn.

You definitely cannot block the crosswalk while waiting, but whether or not you can wait in the intersection under state law is a little unclear.

Of course, that is state law, and most large municipalities (like Omaha) use city code to enforce traffic. I'm too lazy to look up Omaha's city ordinances on traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 AM

119 posts, read 437,856 times
When I was first getting my license (14 years ago) in Sarpy County, I remember learning in drivers ed something about pulling into the intersection to wait for a gap to turn. I was probably taught, however, that it was illegal to go thru when it was red. This confusion led me to doubt what to do during my actual test with the DMV. I was too afraid to enter the intersection, so I sat through 2 light cycles because I did not find any clear gaps. The test administrator then told me to pull into the intersection and turn when the light had turned yellow and oncoming traffic was stopping. He failed me for the road test because of this.

FWIW, I do not usually pull a whole car length into the intersection to wait so I am not completely blocking the intersection for emergency vehicles. Additionally, the cars that are to your left of the intersection are already stopped and aren't going to just go thru the intersection when their light turns green if you are in the way. As the light is turning yellow you can usually see oncoming traffic coming to a stop. Unless someone in the oncoming traffic is running their red light, you are usually able to turn in the gap that is created as that car is coming to a stop, before your light turns red.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 AM

306 posts, read 712,815 times
I usually stay back behind the crosswalk for a couple reasons:

1) Omaha drivers are getting worse with regards to running red lights. I don't want to risk getting hit by a red light runner while making a left turn on yellow. I'll just wait 2 more minutes for the arrow and avoid an accident.

Although, I probably make the two people behind me mad because its now apparently customary for 2-3 cars to turn on yellow now.

2) I'm a short guy and drive a car, which sits low, inhibiting me from seeing around vehicles in the opposite turn lane. Sitting back further gives me a better chance to see around the other cars.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:41 PM

109 posts, read 256,658 times
In Michigan, where my wife is from, instead of the light turning green after the left arrow clears out, the light starts flashing red, which at first confused me but I guess, according to my wife, you treat it as a Stop until the intersection is clear and then you can make a left. I have not seen that in any other State.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,702,859 times
I have noticed A LOT of drivers just run red lights. On another note, about rules...we have a roundabout that has YIELD signs on all four streets, yet, I am the only one that yields. There have been times when I am still waiting and 3 cars have just gone through it ignoring the YIELD sign, what is up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: