U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,199,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I'm going to forwarn you, and please don't take offense. I'm guessing he is referring to the Southern baseball fans.

I have a blast every year and appreciate the out of town money that is spent.
Yes. I love that we host the event but I don't fool myself that having 20,000 people camped out in someones lawn is prestigious. When I've gone out of town I've hardly met anyone that even knew there was a CWS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Yes. I love that we host the event but I don't fool myself that having 20,000 people camped out in someones lawn is prestigious. When I've gone out of town I've hardly met anyone that even knew there was a CWS.
I agree in part. They call it a family friendly event, but what is so family friendly about thousands of drunks pissing on people's cars?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,542,642 times
Usually go to 2-3 games every year... I split between reserved and general admission... I like the comfort of reserved, but the atmosphere of general.. so just end up doing both...

I like the atmosphere of the stadium amongst the residential - will be interesting to see how the enviornment is once it goes downtown...

Go Royals! (oops that's a different forum)...

Old 06-12-2009, 06:19 PM

193 posts, read 591,438 times
I think at first a lot of people aren't going to like the change. However, when north downtown is fully developed and (hopefully) street cars are in place, I think it will blow the current location away.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawJ View Post
I think at first a lot of people aren't going to like the change. However, when north downtown is fully developed and (hopefully) street cars are in place, I think it will blow the current location away.
You are absolutely right. Every aspect of it should prove to be better. Being able to watch a game and WALK to bars, restaurants, and your hotel is a much better plan. Everyone goes downtown after the games, anyway.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:08 PM

736 posts, read 1,667,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post

That's Funny, cause when I've gone out of town I've hardly met anyone that even knew there was an "Omaha, Nebraska". Go Figuire......

Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,651,238 times
Well, pretty much anyone I've met outside of the state know Omaha for 3 things: Warren Buffett, the CWS, and Omaha Steaks.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,199,776 times
Buffet, Yes. Steaks, sometimes. CWS, rarely.

Maybe I just go to swankier towns.

My boyfriends mom lives 2 blocks from the stadium and we were down there today. I don't get how all of these people were complaining about parking problems DT. Having to park 2 neighborhoods over is not what I'd call an ideal situation.

I will like the CWS so much better once it's DT.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 AM

119 posts, read 386,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I agree in part. They call it a family friendly event, but what is so family friendly about thousands of drunks pissing on people's cars?
Thousands of drunks committing public urination? I've never seen a single person do this at the CWS. I'd probably say more like hundreds of drunks (not everyone in the crowd of thousands is drunk) and the worst thing they do for the most part is litter and swear. Although, on the shuttle I rode last night they kicked a couple of people off in the middle of tenth street for nearly getting in a fight on the bus. Some people were yelling at them to calm down because their were kids in the back of the shuttle... but they didn't listen. I think that is the only time I've ever seen a fight at the series. I've been to far fewer college football games and have seen more conflict at those than the CWS.

The only time I've seen public urination was a regular weekend in the Old Market Parking garage near 10th street -- and that was a drunk girl who was using my car to brace herself against as she was peeing!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM

187 posts, read 582,228 times
I think I'll like the CWS more when it moves downtown as well. More of a prestigious location. And people will be able to park in parking stalls instead of in yards. I think it'll just be better.

I was reading somewhere (can't remember where) that the exterior of the stadium will be modeled to look like the old warehouses downtown, just with the dark brick and everything. I thought that was pretty cool. I sure hope the 13th street area continues to do well though.

That being said, I love the College World Series. It's definitely one of my favorite Omaha traditions. I try and go every year. It helps when my favorite team makes it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or