U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 04:02 PM

124 posts, read 270,067 times

Advertisements

'ello 'ello again.

Well, I'm currently working at PetSmart, where I'm getting next to no hours (I got one 6 and a half hour shift next week, and I'm trying to provide for myself, my boyfriend, and two cats..) so I've been job hunting. I've been looking at careerlink almost daily and per my title I'm actually more interested in the hospitality industry for two reasons.

One being that I worked at Hyatt for a year and a half (the res center out on 98th and Q) so I have decent experience with a lot of aspects of it, except for actually working at a hotel. I've of course been looking at Marriott pretty much since I quit Hyatt (which was for personal reasons, otherwise I really enjoyed the job) but they haven't been hiring. I actually have a friend whose mother is a supervisor there and she said they probably wouldn't be hiring until 2010.

Anyway, long story short, I was just curious if anyone knows of any hotels in the area hiring (pretty much any position, except valet parking, I don't have a license) or at the very least, if anyone has worked at any of the hotels, and any information you could share from that. If you liked it, what you did, how much you got paid, etc.

My only saving grace right now is the fairly large tax return I got, but instead of being able to save it or spend it on other things, it's just going towards rent and other bills since the no hours thing has been going on for a few months. It's really very disappointing, especially since I had kind of hoped to move out of Omaha within the next year or so, and now I won't be able to afford it.

If anyone is looking for a job, don't bother with any of the PetSmarts, they're cutting hours like crazy at pretty much every store (but mainly mine, near NFM) despite the fact we were one of the few companies to actually make more last year than we did the year before, so we're not hurting one bit. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 PM

187 posts, read 582,609 times
Try the newer areas of town where hotels are being built. I know that Southport area (126th and Giles) just built an Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn. Maybe they are hiring since they're newer hotels. I think there is also a Courtyard By Marriott in the area as well.

Also at Midtown Crossing at 33rd and Dodge Street, an Element By Westin hotel is in the works for the fall. I'm sure they're hiring as well.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 AM

736 posts, read 1,668,288 times
Hotels and Motels have such high turnover. You should not find it hard to find work at any of them.
Remember that Hotels/Motel are customer service jobs, and if you need to present yourself in a clean well polite way. Wear clean new clothes to the interview, cover up any tatoos, and take out the pearcings do those things and you should not have any problem getting work.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:49 AM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Night audit positions are always coming available. Generally, there is 2-3 hours of work a night BUT you do have to stay awake.

I believe that Marriott still has a reservation center in Omaha.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,709,718 times
Yeah the hotels in Southport have quite a few jobs.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:06 AM

124 posts, read 270,067 times
omahajosh, thanks for that info. even though it's a bit into the future, that would be a perfect location. I live on 34th and dodge..

@happygolucky, while my only hospitality industry experience is strictly phone job, I think I'd be pretty qualified for face to face. My only tattoos are on my back, and since I went to the hospital this past October, all of my piercings have been removed, except for my tongue which no one usually notices, and if they do it's an easy piercing to take out.

'Southport' is a new name to me, I live on 34th and Dodge so that's a bit of a journey, but I suppose if they pay well it might be worth the travel.

@jlawrence, I have been trying to get a job at the Marriott res center for quite awhile, but it doesnt seem hopeful until next year. It's honestly not my desired position, I'd rather work at a hotel and be face to face with guests, for some reason over the phone jobs are just too awkward and nerve-wrecking for me.

I applied at the Hilton downtown so fingers crossed that works out for me. I really think I'd enjoy being either front desk or concierge but we'll see.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,129 times
I may have to move back to Powder Springs,Ga. Currently working in Florida but I own a house there and can not continue to afford paying a mortgage payment and rent. Does anyone know of any hotels hiring. I have an associate degree in Hospitalty Management, but no experience in this field. Ihave worked as Administrative/Executive Assistant.

I would appreciate your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or