Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:13 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajosh618 View Post
Yes, Whole Foods is a block south of Westroads on Regency Parkway.

Going back to the restaurant talk, there's an Asian restaurant across 36th from your apartment complex called Beijing Tokyo. One of my favorite places in Bellevue for authentic Asian cuisine (a tad pricy though). Also, if you're in the mood for Mexican, travel a little bit south on 36th and take a left on Capehart, and there's a fantastic little restaurant called Lil' Burro.

I think you'll like Bellevue. It has an older feel than Papillion and LaVista but there's a new hospital going up on 25th, along with talks of redevelopment in some areas, and I think things are looking up. Plus Omaha is just a short drive away.

I'm from Arizona myself. I find Omaha a lot more enjoyable for a host of reasons. Having four seasons is a huge plus!
Sounds great! I love both Mexican and Asian.... Speaking of both, I heard a place called Azteca was really good... And where's the best place for sushi?

Another thing Ill like about Omaha... A vibrant downtown and a bunch of townlike suburbs... As opposed to Tucson which is just one giant mess of a suburb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenej4 View Post
I am so jealous you get to live in those apartments! Those are brand new and look amazing! Even though they are behind the movie theater, they seem very private. And you are close to a lot of stores in that area. Good luck!
Haha thanks! . I can't wait to check them out myself... Sounds like there's a lot within walking distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miranders4 View Post
there are a couple of dog parks...one out in west omaha that is very nice but kind of a hike from bellevue but there is one in bellevue near 26th and capehart.
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
And if South Roads mall is restored you will have a mall near you. If you plan to adopt kids, (legal?) the Bellevue schools are very good, actually all of the school districts (except perhaps council bluffs) are good.
LOL no kids.. I'm only 22! Just dogs for now .

Also another question for everyone... What's the best grocery store? Back in FL it was Publix, PA Wegmans, and in AZ I use a combo of trader joes and safeway. I'll probably go to whole foods on occasion for things I can't get elsewhere (chocolate covered banana chips... Yummy!) ...and I noticed there is a bakers really close to my complex and a hyvee just down the road... I also heard about a local 2 store (I think) chain that is farmers market-like that is really good, but I forgot the name. Is there anything like a Wegmans, Publix, Giant Eagle, or Safeway out there? What IS the best? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:06 PM

148 posts, read 386,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post

Haha thanks! . I can't wait to check them out myself... Sounds like there's a lot within walking distance?

yes walking distance.

Also another question for everyone... What's the best grocery store? Back in FL it was Publix, PA Wegmans, and in AZ I use a combo of trader joes and safeway. I'll probably go to whole foods on occasion for things I can't get elsewhere (chocolate covered banana chips... Yummy!) ...and I noticed there is a bakers really close to my complex and a hyvee just down the road... I also heard about a local 2 store (I think) chain that is farmers market-like that is really good, but I forgot the name. Is there anything like a Wegmans, Publix, Giant Eagle, or Safeway out there? What IS the best? Thanks!!!
There is no Wegmans, Publix, or Giant Eagle. Not sure about Safeway, I know theres not one in Bellevue.

Like you said there is a Bakers & Hy-Vee. Also, Target, No Frills, Aldi, & Wal-Mart are close. I'm not sure about the farmers market?

I guess all of these grocery stores are good....not sure what the best is. But I always find better produce at Hy-Vee.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
HyVee and Fareway are probably my favorite... both have midwestern roots... Fareway is probably best known for their meat counter - still has butchers behind the counter.

For a Farmers Market, one just started in Papillion last week - didn't go so not sure the quality but I did hear there were going to be 15 vendors... every Wed nite starting at 5pm in the City Park behind the American Legion.

Also a Farmers Market downtown Omaha in the Old Market

Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenej4 View Post
There is no Wegmans, Publix, or Giant Eagle. Not sure about Safeway, I know theres not one in Bellevue.

Like you said there is a Bakers & Hy-Vee. Also, Target, No Frills, Aldi, & Wal-Mart are close. I'm not sure about the farmers market?

I guess all of these grocery stores are good....not sure what the best is. But I always find better produce at Hy-Vee.
There's a Safeway, but they only sell scaffolding.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM

187 posts, read 663,801 times
Ah yes, I miss Safeway. There are no Safeways in Nebraska. I think it's primarily located in the southwest. My favorite grocery store in Bellevue is probably Baker's. I've just always found everything I needed to there. However, I like Hy-Vee better, and the closest one to you is in Papillion on 72nd and Highway 370 in the Shadow Lake Towne Center.

I've never been to Azteca. It's a little out of my way but I've always heard good things about it. If you're ever in Council Bluffs, you must go to Alvarado's. It's your typical 24 hour hole-in-the-wall dive, but I've never had better Mexican food here. It's so authentic!

As for sushi, I'm not really a fan. That being said, I've heard people talk about the sushi bars around here a lot. The ones of heard about are Blue Sushi Sake, Hiro Sushi and Sushi Japan. And I believe Kona Grill out at Village Point (168th and West Dodge Road) has sushi, along with other Asian inspired dishes.

One place I've been meaning to try is O Casual Dining and Lounge downtown. Anyone else heard of it?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 PM

171 posts, read 549,558 times
This weekend is Railroad Days. The The Historic Union Pacific 844 will be rolling in to town Friday Afternoon, then all day saturday there will be free shuttles running from the Durham Museum, to the Omaha Botanical Gardens, to the Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs, all really cool. The 844 will be at the Durham Museum.

Next Weekend is the Omaha Summer Arts Festival.

There is a free concert and firework show next friday at Memorial Park. Grand Funk Railroad is playing. Usually draws tens of thousnads of people

There is always Jazz on the Green at Josylan, Playing with Fire concert series on the River front.

Omaha Royals will be back in town soon

LaVista Days, Millard Days, Papillion days, Gretna Days and on and on and on last all summer.

The spring fever will wear off the zoo soon and will be not as crowded.

Startagic Air and Space museum/Mahoney Park/Wildlife Safari

Fontenell Forest or Neal Woods.

Saturday Omaha farmers Market.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post

My family goes to bakers, which is a local grocery store based in the City and I think No-Frills is too, Bakers always has good produce and it primarily uses the Kroger Brand, meats and fish are good, Hyvee is good too, they have some very interesting things, and if you want a good Mexican grocery store, Jacobos on 24th and L (South Omaha) has incredible Chips and Salsa, made right in the store, and of course they have everything for Carne asada good pork its all just amazing.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 PM

148 posts, read 386,469 times
Quote:

I've never been to Azteca. It's a little out of my way but I've always heard good things about it. If you're ever in Council Bluffs, you must go to Alvarado's. It's your typical 24 hour hole-in-the-wall dive, but I've never had better Mexican food here. It's so authentic!
Wasn't there an Alvarado's on Galvin in Bellevue or did that just close?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:

Only good after a night of drinking, imo. The next day isn't usually fun, tho.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM

187 posts, read 663,801 times
Yes there was. It closed about 4 months ago. It was really quite depressing for me when it closed down. I used to go there a couple times a week and now if I need my late night fix, I have to go to Council Bluffs or up to Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha