U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,155,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
My family goes to bakers, which is a local grocery store based in the City and I think No-Frills is too, Bakers always has good produce and it primarily uses the Kroger Brand, meats and fish are good, Hyvee is good too, they have some very interesting things, and if you want a good Mexican grocery store, Jacobos on 24th and L (South Omaha) has incredible Chips and Salsa, made right in the store, and of course they have everything for Carne asada good pork its all just amazing.
Bakers used to be local - fantastic quality when it was local; however...

It was bought out by Kroeger which besides Kroeger and Bakers has the Fred Meyer, Dillons, King Soopers, and Ralphs brands...

Whey they got bought by Kroeger quality of both products and services went way down.

When they were local, Bakers was the only place we shopped... once they became part of Kroegers and we saw the quality drop we have not shopped there since.

HyVee and Fareway are like to old Bakers...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,229,870 times
Thanks all! Sounds like hyvee will be my main place... We have frys here in Tucson which is another kroger brand... Only good for some things, quality of others suspicious. I wish I could remember the name of that farmers market/grocery store... It looked really cool.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 PM

171 posts, read 528,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
When they were local, Bakers was the only place we shopped... once they became part of Kroegers and we saw the quality drop we have not shopped there since.

HyVee and Fareway are like to old Bakers...
A some of the upper level management from Baker's back when it was Baker's now own No Frills.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 PM

148 posts, read 370,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Thanks all! Sounds like hyvee will be my main place... We have frys here in Tucson which is another kroger brand... Only good for some things, quality of others suspicious. I wish I could remember the name of that farmers market/grocery store... It looked really cool.
is this what you are talking about?
Papillion farmers market – June-August 2009

or this?
http://www.omahafarmersmarket.com/

Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,229,870 times
I think I found it!

Wohlner's Grocery
2289 S 67th St
Omaha, NE 68106

Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM

148 posts, read 370,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I think I found it!

Wohlner's Grocery
2289 S 67th St
Omaha, NE 68106

yeah that is in Aksarben......I mentioned that area in my first post.
It's like a "neighborhood" grocery store.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 AM

119 posts, read 421,628 times
Wow, a lot of good suggestions from everyone in this thread! I am an Omaha native living in La Vista, and even though I know about most of these things already, just mentioning them makes me itch to get out and do stuff (but I am stuck at work). I didn't know about the Papillion Farmer's market... I'll have to go check it out tonight!

Here is something I don't think anyone has mentioned yet... there are a few free art galleries in the downtown area if you are into that. Hotshops, Bemis Center, Artists Cooperative Gallery, and Jackson Street Gallery are the bigger ones. Often when they have a new show opening, they'll have a reception where hors'devores and wine are free (but donations are GREATLY appreciated). Its an awesome option when you are broke but want an excuse for a nice night out.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,155,034 times
I thought I mentioned this, but don't see it when I look back at the thread.

FREE concert every Sunday night at Papillion's Shadow Lake Towne Center mall
LINK TO SCHEDULE (http://www.shadowlakeshopping.com/calendar.asp - broken link)

FREE concerts and free movies on various nights at Papillion's Sumtur Amphitheatre:
LINK TO SCHEDULE (http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/papillion/published_documents/Parks%20and%20Recreation/amphitheater/documents/2009%20Sumtur%20Event%20Brochure.pdf - broken link)

Old 06-22-2009, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 21,496 times
I'd say take advantage of the music scene. We have a lot of good bands that come through here.
There are alot of good little Mom and Pop restaurants that have been around for years (leavenworth cafe, leo's diner, etc) Don't just stay out in West O. It gets boring real quick. I think if you make really good friends here it just enhances Omaha.
Oh, the zoo is amazing-erm, thats about it.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

171 posts, read 528,937 times
Bridge anything but ordinary

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: Metro/Region - Bridge anything but ordinary

Quote:
Tim Rohwer
WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICEIt's been almost a year since the pedestrian bridge opened, and it is making a name for itself both locally and nationally.

The bridge this week was awarded “Project of the Year” by the American Public Works Association.

The bridge won in the structures category for projects built in the $5 million to $25 million price range, Foster said.

Its unique design was a factor in the selection, said Foster, who represented the Omaha-Council Bluffs area at the awards ceremony Monday night in Columbus, Ohio.

“The one thing I don't think people anticipated was the bridge becoming a destination spot on its own,” Foster said. “It's not just a connector between the two communities, and it's more than just a beautiful place to show off. It's becoming its own destination.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha