U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:00 PM

2,142 posts, read 2,150,474 times
Cool What are some must see/do things around Omaha?

Hi again everyone!

So I finally found a place in the area... A beautiful, brand new apt complex in Bellevue (a gay guy living in Bellevue... This should be fun lol). Anywho, I'll probably be moving to the area not this weekend but next and I was wondering, what should I see/do in the area first? Restaurants, parks, shopping, other activities, etc.

I already know about the ice cream shop that sells a Guinness flavor... Can't wait to try that haha... And my apt will face the Keystone trail (could someone elaborate on what exactly that is and what's the best thing about it?)... Also I can't wait to go to Lake Zorinsky and the big park downtown next to the river...but what else is there?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 06:05 PM

187 posts, read 390,676 times
Cool! Congratulations on finding an apartment. I live in Bellevue as well. There are some good restaurants in the area. In my opinion, all the good restaurants are on the east side of town (more of a local flair). My favorite restaurant in Bellevue is called Stella's. They have an amazing burger and it's cheap too. As for activities, I prefer to drive up to Omaha, just because Bellevue has limited shopping, good restaurants and nightlife. My favorite part of Bellevue is the Fontenelle Forest area, which is located in the northeast corner of town. There are walking and hiking trails, as well as a nature center and golf course (Fontenelle Hills). North Bellevue Boulevard also has cobblestone streets for a stretch, which gives it an Old Market or Fairacres (neighborhood in Omaha) feel.

Moving on, if you're into baseball, I would recommend going to the College World Series, which is going on for another week and a half or so. It's a really fun environment. Downtown Omaha is one of my favorite areas of town. For me, there's always something going on. There are a lot of eclectic restaurants and bars, especially in the Old Market District. I've been told that there are a number of gay bars on the south end of downtown (if you're into that). Downtown also has three performing arts centers; The Holland Performing Arts Center, Orpheum Theatre and Rose Theatre. On the west side of downtown is the Joslyn Art Museum. On the north end of downtown (NoDo) by Creighton University, there is a new concert venue called Slowdown. It's a great place to see a show. There is also an independent movie theater, coffee shop, American Apparel, and an Urban Outfitters on the same block.

There are a number of places to shop in Omaha. Upscale, budget conscious, unique to Omaha; it all just depends on what you're looking for. As for parks, there are many as well. Memorial Park, located on Happy Hollow Blvd. and Dodge Street is my favorite park in the area. It's across the street from The University of Nebraska at Omaha. Honestly, I have never been to Lake Zorinsky, even though I have driven through that area many times. The big park you mentioned is called The Heartland of America Park. It's located just off of 10th street downtown in the ConAgra campus. It's a really cool park to walk around and there's a large fountain in the middle of the lake that changes colors occasionally. Just west of Heartland is a much smaller park called the Gene Lahey Mall. It's a nice place to sit down and relax.

Honestly, one of my favorite things to do around here is simply just drive around. It's cool to see all the different parts of town, historic districts, old buildings, and large estates. Just stay off the freeways and explore the city streets

There are a ton of fantastic restaurants in Omaha, both local favorites and national chains. I could go on and on about the food here. Again, it all just depends on what kind of food you like. You mentioned Guinness ice cream. Ted & Wally's is the ice cream place that makes that ice cream as well as many others. Definitely my favorite ice cream parlor.

I hope some of this helped. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll answer as best as I can. Send me a private message if you need to. Welcome!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 PM

141 posts, read 216,267 times
I live in Old Towne Bellevue which is close to where you are going to be. You will see lots of planes landing on the Offutt Air Force Base. When you are on the Kennedy Freeway they seem like they get really close.

Kennedy Freeway takes you to Interstate-80 which takes you to anywhere in Omaha. It also takes you to Council Bluffs, Iowa.

The Keystone trail is a biking, walking, rollerblading, etc trail that surrounds the Papio Creek (Papio is short for Papillion which is the next town going west) This trail takes you from Bellevue allllll the way to Omaha or however far you want to go. It's pretty safe.

It sounds like you are close to Highway 370 which takes you from Bellevue to Papillion and on....there is a new shopping center in Papillion called Shadow Lake and you just take Highway 370 west to 72nd Street. You will see it on the south side of 370.

Aksarben (Nebraska spelled backwards) is also a place that is starting to come alive again. They are building new restaurants, offices, private grocery stores, condos, etc...but not yet developed fully.

I know gay guys from high school that still live in Bellevue, you shouldn't have a problem.

I also agree with omahajosh that Stella's is the BEST hamburger place ever. I grew up eating there. It is in Bellevue on Galvin Road.

I agree with omahajosh that you should check out Omaha soon. You should also try the walking bridge that was just built. You walk across the Missouri River from Omaha to Iowa. Once you get into Iowa you'll just have to turn around again because it just takes you to a park area. But it's a really cool view at night.

There are also two huge yellow slides downtown. Just take some wax paper so you'll slide faster. These are located on 10th or 11th & Farnam.

Hope you have fun!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 6,134,542 times
Welcome to your new home! Where are you moving from again, I can't quite recall you.
Anyway, if you like fish theres a place called Shucks near Zorinsky in an area called Legacy on 168th and center, where there are tons of local restaurants. Westroads mall is the Cities largest mall and has several stores the others don't. I also recommend the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian bridge on the riverfront along with the Old Market and NoDo, perhaps you could even go to all the old downtowns that Omaha has annexed, Dundee, Florence, Benson, South Omaha, Millard, Elkhorn and Ralston (although Ralston was never annexed) As also said before, if you like gay bars, you would love south downtown, the most well known one is The Max. (or at least the most talked about one) We have tons of local restaurants of all types.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM

32 posts, read 87,982 times
hello, gay girl living in bellevue here. Stellas is great, not a whole lot aound bellevue beside Fontenelle but the old market in omsha is great, also I love the dundee area.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 PM

2,142 posts, read 2,150,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajosh618 View Post
Cool! Congratulations on finding an apartment. I live in Bellevue as well. There are some good restaurants in the area. In my opinion, all the good restaurants are on the east side of town (more of a local flair). My favorite restaurant in Bellevue is called Stella's. They have an amazing burger and it's cheap too. As for activities, I prefer to drive up to Omaha, just because Bellevue has limited shopping, good restaurants and nightlife. My favorite part of Bellevue is the Fontenelle Forest area, which is located in the northeast corner of town. There are walking and hiking trails, as well as a nature center and golf course (Fontenelle Hills). North Bellevue Boulevard also has cobblestone streets for a stretch, which gives it an Old Market or Fairacres (neighborhood in Omaha) feel.

Moving on, if you're into baseball, I would recommend going to the College World Series, which is going on for another week and a half or so. It's a really fun environment. Downtown Omaha is one of my favorite areas of town. For me, there's always something going on. There are a lot of eclectic restaurants and bars, especially in the Old Market District. I've been told that there are a number of gay bars on the south end of downtown (if you're into that). Downtown also has three performing arts centers; The Holland Performing Arts Center, Orpheum Theatre and Rose Theatre. On the west side of downtown is the Joslyn Art Museum. On the north end of downtown (NoDo) by Creighton University, there is a new concert venue called Slowdown. It's a great place to see a show. There is also an independent movie theater, coffee shop, American Apparel, and an Urban Outfitters on the same block.

There are a number of places to shop in Omaha. Upscale, budget conscious, unique to Omaha; it all just depends on what you're looking for. As for parks, there are many as well. Memorial Park, located on Happy Hollow Blvd. and Dodge Street is my favorite park in the area. It's across the street from The University of Nebraska at Omaha. Honestly, I have never been to Lake Zorinsky, even though I have driven through that area many times. The big park you mentioned is called The Heartland of America Park. It's located just off of 10th street downtown in the ConAgra campus. It's a really cool park to walk around and there's a large fountain in the middle of the lake that changes colors occasionally. Just west of Heartland is a much smaller park called the Gene Lahey Mall. It's a nice place to sit down and relax.

Honestly, one of my favorite things to do around here is simply just drive around. It's cool to see all the different parts of town, historic districts, old buildings, and large estates. Just stay off the freeways and explore the city streets

There are a ton of fantastic restaurants in Omaha, both local favorites and national chains. I could go on and on about the food here. Again, it all just depends on what kind of food you like. You mentioned Guinness ice cream. Ted & Wally's is the ice cream place that makes that ice cream as well as many others. Definitely my favorite ice cream parlor.

I hope some of this helped. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll answer as best as I can. Send me a private message if you need to. Welcome!
Thanks!! I probably will be there around the 27th, so I don't think I'll make it to the cws :\... I love the rest of your suggestions! In terms of gay bars... I checked those out and it seems flixx probably fits me best (I'm a dive/sports bar type of guy... Not a dance club type. I love the parks you listed... I plan to get a dog after I move there (hopefully a husky, but we'll see)... So I'm hopeful I can find a dog park too. I'm also a foodie so I can't wait to start chowing through all Omaha restaurants haha...

Anywho, thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenej4 View Post
I live in Old Towne Bellevue which is close to where you are going to be. You will see lots of planes landing on the Offutt Air Force Base. When you are on the Kennedy Freeway they seem like they get really close.

Kennedy Freeway takes you to Interstate-80 which takes you to anywhere in Omaha. It also takes you to Council Bluffs, Iowa.

The Keystone trail is a biking, walking, rollerblading, etc trail that surrounds the Papio Creek (Papio is short for Papillion which is the next town going west) This trail takes you from Bellevue allllll the way to Omaha or however far you want to go. It's pretty safe.

It sounds like you are close to Highway 370 which takes you from Bellevue to Papillion and on....there is a new shopping center in Papillion called Shadow Lake and you just take Highway 370 west to 72nd Street. You will see it on the south side of 370.

Aksarben (Nebraska spelled backwards) is also a place that is starting to come alive again. They are building new restaurants, offices, private grocery stores, condos, etc...but not yet developed fully.

I know gay guys from high school that still live in Bellevue, you shouldn't have a problem.

I also agree with omahajosh that Stella's is the BEST hamburger place ever. I grew up eating there. It is in Bellevue on Galvin Road.

I agree with omahajosh that you should check out Omaha soon. You should also try the walking bridge that was just built. You walk across the Missouri River from Omaha to Iowa. Once you get into Iowa you'll just have to turn around again because it just takes you to a park area. But it's a really cool view at night.

There are also two huge yellow slides downtown. Just take some wax paper so you'll slide faster. These are located on 10th or 11th & Farnam.

Hope you have fun!!!!
Thanks!!! . The Keystone trail sounds cool... I can probably use it to bike and walk my dog a lot when I don't want to go elsewhere. I would indeed live near 370... The apt complex is just off of it on Raynor. The walking bridge sounds awesome and the slides sound... Interesting haha. Oh and I can't wait to try stellas too! . Thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Welcome to your new home! Where are you moving from again, I can't quite recall you.
Anyway, if you like fish theres a place called Shucks near Zorinsky in an area called Legacy on 168th and center, where there are tons of local restaurants. Westroads mall is the Cities largest mall and has several stores the others don't. I also recommend the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian bridge on the riverfront along with the Old Market and NoDo, perhaps you could even go to all the old downtowns that Omaha has annexed, Dundee, Florence, Benson, South Omaha, Millard, Elkhorn and Ralston (although Ralston was never annexed) As also said before, if you like gay bars, you would love south downtown, the most well known one is The Max. (or at least the most talked about one) We have tons of local restaurants of all types.
Thanks!!! I'm moving from Tucson, AZ... so glad to get back to four seasons, green, and water haha. I love fish so I'll probably check shucks out... And definitely westroads... Whole foods is near that, right? As I said to Josh, flixx is probably most my type since I'm more of a dive/sports bar type of guy as opposed to dance clubs... From what I've seen at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miranders4 View Post
hello, gay girl living in bellevue here. Stellas is great, not a whole lot aound bellevue beside Fontenelle but the old market in omsha is great, also I love the dundee area.
Thanks!!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 AM

187 posts, read 390,676 times
Yes, Whole Foods is a block south of Westroads on Regency Parkway.

Going back to the restaurant talk, there's an Asian restaurant across 36th from your apartment complex called Beijing Tokyo. One of my favorite places in Bellevue for authentic Asian cuisine (a tad pricy though). Also, if you're in the mood for Mexican, travel a little bit south on 36th and take a left on Capehart, and there's a fantastic little restaurant called Lil' Burro.

I think you'll like Bellevue. It has an older feel than Papillion and LaVista but there's a new hospital going up on 25th, along with talks of redevelopment in some areas, and I think things are looking up. Plus Omaha is just a short drive away.

I'm from Arizona myself. I find Omaha a lot more enjoyable for a host of reasons. Having four seasons is a huge plus!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 AM

141 posts, read 216,267 times
I am so jealous you get to live in those apartments! Those are brand new and look amazing! Even though they are behind the movie theater, they seem very private. And you are close to a lot of stores in that area. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:07 AM

32 posts, read 87,982 times
there are a couple of dog parks...one out in west omaha that is very nice but kind of a hike from bellevue but there is one in bellevue near 26th and capehart.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:21 AM

3,306 posts, read 6,134,542 times
And if South Roads mall is restored you will have a mall near you. If you plan to adopt kids, (legal?) the Bellevue schools are very good, actually all of the school districts (except perhaps council bluffs) are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha