Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM

21 posts, read 61,450 times

Advertisements

It looks like we might be moving there soon. Husband and I are both from southern CA. We are making our decision based mostly on being near our family and a good lifestyle for children. Its either here or Las Vegas (where I have other family) but Vegas comes a close 2nd to CA so that doesnt do us any good really given the conditions of both places.

Anyway, the family I have in CB/Omaha used to live in CA too and they have adjusted well. They keep telling me winters aren't all that bad and yada yada yada. I am not really a wintery, snowy, cold type person (at least I dont think I am). But really, what can we expect aside from the obvious? I am going to miss my mountains and beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM

303 posts, read 980,239 times
Welcome to the fabulous midwest Mrs.Scott and family. I came here from El Paso Texas in 1978 and still miss the warm winters, but it is true, you get used to it. It might take a couple of winters...(or so), but you will be fine. If a Texan can do it, so can you! My wife was born and raised in Omaha, but she hates the winters here. It is up to you to make it work.

There are great schools, great people and many fun things to do here. Glad to have you.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM

187 posts, read 663,450 times
The winters generally last from November to February; at least those are the coldest months to me. There's always a couple heavy snowfalls mixed with some lighter snowfall in between. It's honestly not all that bad though.

I'm from the southwest myself (Arizona) and it took me awhile to get used to the winters. You'll find that you appreciate the other seasons more after "surviving" the winters here.

Omaha is a wonderful place with all 4 seasons, great food and wonderful people. Omaha is a great place to raise a family and have a little fun while doing it. I wish you luck finding a place to live, regardless if Omaha is your final destination or not.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM

21 posts, read 61,450 times
Thanks. Chances are we will be moving there so looks like I need to invest in a good coat.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScott View Post
Thanks. Chances are we will be moving there so looks like I need to invest in a good coat.
My family moved here from Minnesota 3 years ago. So I think winters here are pretty nice.

But yes, you'll want to invest in a good warm coat(s). Gloves. Hats. Don't buy the sissy stuff out in southern Cali. Wait till you get here, and buy real clothes.

Bottom line is that you're going to do fine. There are a lot of little things to consider, moving here from a warm climate. Just ask when you get here. There are plenty of people to help.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 AM

27 posts, read 62,577 times
Everything mentioned so far has been spot on. The dreaded "Midwest winters" aren't THAT bad here. Sure it gets nice and cold, and we get around 30 inches of snowfall a year (usually in four or five nice sized storms.) For the amount of snow we get, there's a fair amount of ice. Not too bad, but it doesn't make driving any easier, either.

One thing I usually see left out of descriptions of Omaha winters (that I wish I was given some warning about) is the wind. Good God. Some days it'll just be a stiff breeze, but other days it can cut right through your bones, it's so bitter. Definitely don't want to be hanging outside on days like that.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:54 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,231 times
Snow is not the bad part. It is the cold and the wind that will make you wonder why you moved here. But then spring comes and it makes you appreciate life again. Then in the middle of the summer the heat and humidity will crush your soul and you'll beg for the fresh cool breeze of autumn. The first cold front of September will get you excited for football games and home cookin' but then once again the ugly bitter winds of winter will come around and make you ponder your existence once again.

March - June -> are great!!

July - August -> soul crushing heat and humidity

September - November -> Lovely crisp air

December - February -> Vengeful Cold that penetrates your bones

Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Cold, Windy, and miserable. I have never been able to get used to it. Many people can, however.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Weirdly enough, where my family lives in the NE part of Omaha - near the Missouri River - we have enough hills and trees that the wind isn't too bad.

And it's a far-cry less miserable than the winter winds in Minnesota!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Weirdly enough, where my family lives in the NE part of Omaha - near the Missouri River - we have enough hills and trees that the wind isn't too bad.

And it's a far-cry less miserable than the winter winds in Minnesota!
I refuse to live any further north than Omaha. I adjust much better in the San Diego climate. Hope to be there by end of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: