U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,793 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm relocating from NY to Omaha this month and very excited about it. I'm debating on service providers for cable/internet. Any experiences with Direct TV vs. Cox? My one concern is in regard to service interuptions with Direct TV during storms.
Oh and any general advice on Omaha for an outgoing 25 year old female also appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 PM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times
We were always very happy with Cox when my family and I lived in Omaha and Council Bluffs. I'm more than likely going to stick with them when I move back there.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM

148 posts, read 338,373 times
go with cox, no contract

Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 AM

119 posts, read 386,971 times
Go with Cox. My apartment complex is a dead zone... the apartment complex would have to pay Cox to wire us, so our only choices are Direct TV, Dish network, or some company out of Michigan associated with the apartment complex (only 22 channels - dirt cheap but severly lacking).

I can't remember if it is direct tv or dish that we have, but we do not like it because of the interruptions during storms. We haven't had any this year, but we had trouble even during heavy rain within the area. Its very frustrating. We've also had trouble as far as needing to re-set the receiver which is a pain, when you have to dig behind the tv to unplug the power cord, wait 5 seconds, plug it in, and then let the tv update for a few minutes...

As far as fun stuff... Omaha Bars & Clubs, Dining, Events, Concerts, Live Music, The Arts, Movies, Photos, Media, Models, Limos has a lot of links and info you might be interested in. You will also get some good info on events hosted by radio stations like KQKQ - Homepage. They've brought in a lot of rising artists and regularly have free concerts, as well as station sponsored events like pool parties at waterparks, cruises on the River City Star...

Also, when you get to town, in many restaraunts and bars (especially ones downtown) you can pick up a free copy of the Omaha Reader or Omaha City Weekly... they have a lot of ads for restaraunts, bars, clubs, and notices of events and articles featuring local happenings.

If you look, you will definitely find stuff to do. And welcome to Omaha! Glad to hear you are looking forward to the move!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 17,275 times
I agree, go with Cox

Old 06-22-2009, 12:08 PM

12 posts, read 19,434 times
Dish is cheaper.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:49 PM

72,044 posts, read 83,719,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurore1 View Post
Hi! I'm relocating from NY to Omaha this month and very excited about it. I'm debating on service providers for cable/internet. Any experiences with Direct TV vs. Cox? My one concern is in regard to service interuptions with Direct TV during storms.
Oh and any general advice on Omaha for an outgoing 25 year old female also appreciated!
Thanks!
can't give you much advise, I do wonder if you are ready for the cutural shock? For me, it would be heaven, but for some, it would be HELL. Now, as for COX versus Direct, the service interuptions exists here in NWA and did in NM as well as Texas, so, yes, you will have them occassionally. Other than that I would take Direct anyday over Cox. Just my personal opinion for what it is worth.

Nita

Old 06-22-2009, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,793 times
Thanks for the advice!

vpandora I will definitely check out the links and look into the free papers! Sounds like Omaha has a lot going on this summer.

I'm not too worried about the culture shock. I grew up in the Midwest in a very small town, so I am looking forward to coming back. I've been away living life in the big cities for 5 years, time to settle some roots again!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 AM

49 posts, read 144,179 times
i don't know about the rest, but cox has always done an outstanding job for me. i have had their 'techies' out many times and they have always provided outstanding service.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,218,263 times
The biggest downfall of Dish is during severe weather. During almost all thunderstorms the service will go out and you will not be notified of severe weather alerts including tornado warnings. (thats kind of an important peice of info to have!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or