U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,345,868 times

Advertisements

[quote=Omaha Rocks;9466049]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post

Doesn't sound like much of a church. Sounds more like you're trying to make mountains out of molehills.

So what is the name of this tiny little church? Did you get that?
Your attempts to diminish this doesn't make it any less real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,292,671 times
[quote=smithy77;9466169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Your attempts to diminish this doesn't make it any less real.
Did you get the name of the church?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:46 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,112,710 times
I'm not looking to be a victim. I don't feel victimized. If those guys wanted to be there then I'm fine with that. If they want to stand there and tel me I'm going to hell awesome. It's america.

It's just frustrating that you're so down on what I said about the assault.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I'm not looking to be a victim. I don't feel victimized. If those guys wanted to be there then I'm fine with that. If they want to stand there and tel me I'm going to hell awesome. It's america.

It's just frustrating that you're so down on what I said about the assault.
All I'm looking for is some evidence of it, because you initially claimed that the rioters were screaming at this guy in the white shirt because he didn't keep his friend from assaulting a woman.

A protester assaulting a woman at a Gay Rights Parade would be BIG NEWS, and if he got arrested for doing that there's not a news outlet in the city that wouldn't love to get a piece of that story.

As I've said all along, I think you ought to be ashamed of the way your friends were behaving on the video. I also think that a lot of viewers on YouTube - even as wacked out as it is - will find their behavior reprehensible as well.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,769,680 times
Omaha,

I am going to have to agree with you as far as the protesters behavior is concerned. The video shows a lot of immaturity on the protesters part. Ya, I'm sure they strongly disagreed with the guy, but the whole point about living in a country that allows a plurality of ideas is to disagree and argue in a way that shows at least some amount of respect.

Looking at the video all I see is a guy preaching and about 5 young people screaming at him and taunting him.

While there may or may not be more to the situation, the video makes the protesters look petty, immature, and out of control.

One has to ask yourself what would the reaction be if a group of 4 or 5 anti-gay protesters were behaving this way towards a pro-gay advocate??

And this is coming from someone who supports the pro-gay marriage movement.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Omaha,

I am going to have to agree with you as far as the protesters behavior is concerned. The video shows a lot of immaturity on the protesters part. Ya, I'm sure they strongly disagreed with the guy, but the whole point about living in a country that allows a plurality of ideas is to disagree and argue in a way that shows at least some amount of respect.

Looking at the video all I see is a guy preaching and about 5 young people screaming at him and taunting him.

While there may or may not be more to the situation, the video makes the protesters look petty, immature, and out of control.

One has to ask yourself what would the reaction be if a group of 4 or 5 anti-gay protesters were behaving this way towards a pro-gay advocate??

And this is coming from someone who supports the pro-gay marriage movement.
Thank you. That has been my point all along.

I'm not making any kind of statement about homosexuality, homosexual rights, or anything of the sort. I'm saying that people who want to be taken seriously need to behave in a way that earns that respect.

I personally know the guy in the white shirt. He's an incredibly nice guy. Part of me is extremely surprised to see him on that video, because he's just not a combative guy, and doing something like that seems very contrary to what he's like. Personally, I think there are probably far better ways to communicate to homosexuals than what he was doing, but I don't fault him for following his convictions.

The bottom line is that the Gay Pride people lost a LOT of my respect, simply due to the childish behavior displayed on that video. I don't understand how they can fail to see how their behavior actually hinders their cause.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Thank you. That has been my point all along.

I'm not making any kind of statement about homosexuality, homosexual rights, or anything of the sort. I'm saying that people who want to be taken seriously need to behave in a way that earns that respect.

I personally know the guy in the white shirt. He's an incredibly nice guy. Part of me is extremely surprised to see him on that video, because he's just not a combative guy, and doing something like that seems very contrary to what he's like. Personally, I think there are probably far better ways to communicate to homosexuals than what he was doing, but I don't fault him for following his convictions.

I find it interesting that you're willing to jump to conclusions about the people razzing the guy in the white shirt. By your own admission, you stated that we don't have all the facts yet, so why are you taking sides and criticizing these people? You don't know what transpired just before this video was taken. How do you know they're gay? Maybe they were just watching the parade from the sidewalk. Maybe they're straight (we know DTO's grandmother was). Maybe DTO's grandmother is a nice lady, too. You're mighty quick to criticize before the facts are in. You keep asking for proof of an attack, but you're willing to make judgments about people before the facts are all in. You can't have it both ways. DTO was right---your bias is showing.

The bottom line is that the Gay Pride people lost a LOT of my respect, simply due to the childish behavior displayed on that video. I don't understand how they can fail to see how their behavior actually hinders their cause.
Maybe there was "childish behavior" on the part of these church guys before this video was shot. If it turns out that these folks were all straight, does that mean you'll lose respect for straight people?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM

I find it interesting that you're willing to jump to conclusions about the people razzing the guy in the white shirt. By your own admission, you stated that we don't have all the facts yet, so why are you taking sides and criticizing these people? You don't know what transpired just before this video was taken. How do you know they're gay? Maybe they were just watching the parade from the sidewalk. Maybe they're straight (we know DTO's grandmother was). Maybe DTO's grandmother is a nice too. You're mighty quick to criticize before the facts are in. You keep asking for proof of an attack, but you're willing to make judgments about people before you know everything that happened. You can't have it both ways. DTO was right, your bias is showing.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Maybe there was "childish behavior" on the part of these church guys before this video was shot. If it turns out that these folks were all straight, does that mean you'll lose respect for straight people?
Yes, I would. Obviously.

You keep acting like this is some anti-homosexual thing. It's not. It's an anti-childishness and hatred thing.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I find it interesting that you're willing to jump to conclusions about the people razzing the guy in the white shirt. By your own admission, you stated that we don't have all the facts yet, so why are you taking sides and criticizing these people? You don't know what transpired just before this video was taken. How do you know they're gay? Maybe they were just watching the parade from the sidewalk. Maybe they're straight (we know DTO's grandmother was). Maybe DTO's grandmother is a nice too. You're mighty quick to criticize before the facts are in. You keep asking for proof of an attack, but you're willing to make judgments about people before you know everything that happened. You can't have it both ways. DTO was right, your bias is showing.
You're right. I don't know what transpired just before, or after, the video. And neither do you. Maybe the hateful gay pride people were spitting on the guy in the white shirt, moments before DTO turn on the camera. Do you know for a fact that that DIDN'T happen? No, you don't.

What I do know is that I am responsible for my behavior, regardless of what somebody else does. That's part of being an adult. I don't have to act like an imbecile today, because somebody did something really nasty to me yesterday. I don't have to blindly hate the Church, because my ancestors were run out of their homeland by the Church.

I am responsible for me. Maybe you should pass that bit of information along to your friends, before next year's Gay Pride Parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha