Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:08 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times

Advertisements

What do you think will become of Omaha in 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,565,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What do you think will become of Omaha in 10 years?
It's poised and positioned for major growth.

Big in higher education.
Big in medical enterprise.
Diversity in jobs.
Good infrastructure.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 AM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Big in higher education.
Diversity in jobs.
Good infrastructure.

I agree. Cities like Omaha and Des Moines will likely grow much faster in percentage terms compared to Kansas City. Omaha and Des Moines offer a lower cost of living, a less stressful medium sized metro setting, and a much better economy compared to many other places around the country.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Big in higher education.
Diversity in jobs.
Good infrastructure.
What kinds of jobs do you think would go to Omaha in particular?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
What kinds of jobs do you think would go to Omaha in particular?
What kind of jobs will be drawn to Omaha?

I'm not really sure, but I'd bet that pretty much anything related to the medical industry might come. There are 12 major hospitals in the metro area, and all of them are expanding.

I don't know that it's a tech hot-spot, because those kinds of jobs can pretty much spring up anywhere.

Downtown Omaha is becoming more and more urban, with an increase in the arts. The new QWest Center continues to draw major events, so anything connected to that is a good bet.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
What kind of jobs will be drawn to Omaha?

I'm not really sure, but I'd bet that pretty much anything related to the medical industry might come. There are 12 major hospitals in the metro area, and all of them are expanding.

I don't know that it's a tech hot-spot, because those kinds of jobs can pretty much spring up anywhere.

Downtown Omaha is becoming more and more urban, with an increase in the arts. The new QWest Center continues to draw major events, so anything connected to that is a good bet.
Don't get me wrong. I think the medical industry can be a great thing. I had to have a major spine surgery last year(Broken spine). I had a great surgeon. With that said, not everyone is going into the medical industry(me especially). There should be other jobs for those who do not choose the medical industry.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I think the medical industry can be a great thing. I had to have a major spine surgery last year(Broken spine). I had a great surgeon. With that said, not everyone is going into the medical industry(me especially). There should be other jobs for those who do not choose the medical industry.
Right.

But think about all the ancillary jobs that accompany a major medical area - complete with all those who do work in the medical field. Somebody is going to be selling these people cars. Somebody will be selling them furniture. Somebody is going to be building them homes and/or remodeling them. You get the idea...

In addition, think about all the money that goes into a community when, for instance, the Lied Medical Research Center does a multi-million dollar expansion.

Also... I just found this on Emporis.com.
Quote:
http://www.emporis.com/files/blackbar.gif (broken link) Biggest city in Nebraska and the port of entry and seat of Douglas county. Omaha is situated in the eastern part of the state and on the west bank of the Missouri River, opposite Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Major industries include food processing, insurance, and telecommunications.

Omaha is one of the nation's hotbeds for the telecommunications industry. Over 50,000 people go to work each day at a telecommunications related job in Omaha.

Omaha is currently undergoing a major construction boom in its downtown that will change and advance its skyline over the next several years.

Omaha is also known as the 'Big O' or 'River City' by its hometown citizens.

Founded in 1854 and incorporated in 1857.

I do think that great times are ahead for Omaha.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Right.

But think about all the ancillary jobs that accompany a major medical area - complete with all those who do work in the medical field. Somebody is going to be selling these people cars. Somebody will be selling them furniture. Somebody is going to be building them homes and/or remodeling them. You get the idea...

In addition, think about all the money that goes into a community when, for instance, the Lied Medical Research Center does a multi-million dollar expansion.

Also... I just found this on Emporis.com.

I do think that great times are ahead for Omaha.
I read the part about telecommunications. I forgot that Omaha is the big hub for telemarketer calls. I used to be a telemarketer(hated it like crazy). I hear Con-Agra foods is in Omaha.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I read the part about telecommunications. I forgot that Omaha is the big hub for telemarketer calls. I used to be a telemarketer(hated it like crazy). I hear Con-Agra foods is in Omaha.
Yes, Omaha is the world headquarters for Con-Agra. It's right along the river, just south of the Qwest Center, east of the Old Market area. Very nice campus. They've also got several sites scattered around Omaha.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,997,708 times
Telemarketering is not really considered part of the telecom industry. Telecom companies are Cox, Qwest, AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner, DishNetwork, and DirectTV to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: