Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwander View Post
I think the original poster was asking about a good place to find a home that could be turned into a B&B. I think one of the most important things to look at is a neighborhood that is close to an attraction for out of town guests.
What are the reasons people visit OMaha? the Ball park? Quest Center? Old Market? The Zoo? To visit their kids at one of the universities? (Creighton University and UN-Omaha)
B&B's also seem to cater a lot to newlyweds.... so perhaps being near a church might be a good thing. There are some magnificent old homes near the Cathedral.
I love the Dundee area.
I love the area just south of the old Market where all the new condo's are being built. some really interesting old homes in the block or two just south of that.
I do think the original poster would be wise to visit and see for themselves what things are like. Lots of wonderful neighborhoods in Omaha to think about.
Right. The OP was regarding purchasing a house and turning it into a B&B. That, of course, gave opportunity for the West O folks to start in with their relentless bashing of anything East of 90th Street. The oh-so-predictable bunch of White Fright Flight lies and BS.

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this way, but when I think of a Bed & Breakfast, I think of a big older - probably historic - house that rents out rooms to people who want to enjoy the old-style charm. The "old" is the draw. If you want drywall, vinyl-clad windows & no wood trim, you'd stay in a new motel.

That said, the big old houses in Omaha - with charm, history and character - will inevitably be in the older part of Omaha, which is to the East part. Midtown, Bemis Park, Gold Coast, Happy Hollow, Dundee, and the Field Club neighborhoods are all FULL of these kinds of houses. As I see it, the primary question is whether or not neighborhood zoning ordinances would allow a home-owner to turn their house into a Bed & Breakfast.

Further, it is absolutely stupid and false to suggest that these are high-crime areas of Omaha. They aren't. Only somebody that is totally ignorant and/or a bold-faced liar, would suggest that they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Right. The OP was regarding purchasing a house and turning it into a B&B. That, of course, gave opportunity for the West O folks to start in with their relentless bashing of anything East of 90th Street. The oh-so-predictable bunch of White Fright Flight lies and BS.

Folks? There is only one person in this entire thread who has bashed North Omaha or anything east of 72nd. Happygolucky. Not me nor anyone else. I looked through the entire thread, and everyone else has been arguing with happygolucky through the entire thread. Get your facts straight.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:06 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Folks? There is only one person in this entire thread who has bashed North Omaha or anything east of 72nd. Happygolucky. Not me nor anyone else. I looked through the entire thread, and everyone else has been arguing with happygolucky through the entire thread. Get your facts straight.
Yeah, you're right about him being the only one in this thread. But we like to use exaggeration as a form of humor. It just seems like the mentality sometimes between a handful of people you talk to and especially the media is that 72nd street is some kind of line between everything good and everything bad in the city.

The local news is especially pathetic. When a crime is committed it seems like it gets very little attention unless it's in north Omaha. Then, they are all over it like flies on stink. They make sure that you know it's north Omaha. Then they always make it sound like the person that got shot was just minding his own business and was the victim of some heinous act of random violence. Nevermind it was 3:00AM, he was snooping around someone else property, has a record 3 miles long, and is involved in drugs and gangs. They somehow forget to include those details. . I don't know if they are jealous of the crime in other cities or what, but it's almost like they are trying to make it out to be worse than it is.

I saw a story about a restaurant in Florence. They were talking about how it really is possible for a business to survive in north Omaha. Yes, ok technically it's in the north part of the city, but they make it sound like it's amazing for a business to be here and not be robbed, or riddled with bullets from the warzone going on outside. It's just insulting to paint the entire north side of town with the same brush, when there are many fine businesses, homes, and people in that part of town.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM

^^ Sorry, but humor eludes people living in West O. There truly does seem to be a delusional paranoia going on out there. It's just like Council Bluffs, but with less Trailer Parks.

I also find it interesting that Warren Buffet - the richest man in the world - lives in Dundee, which is one of the areas that HappyGoYucky condemned as a gang & crime riddled ghetto. Go Warren!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 AM

6 posts, read 13,398 times
Hey everyone....

I'm headed to Creighton for nursing school this coming January from california and I need some help on good places to live. I'd like to be close to campus, but I'm not really into the party scene. Is "downtown" really that "downtown"ish, i.e clubs and nightlife going into the early morning hours? I plan to be in my room studying the majority of my time and want to be somewhere fairly quiet. I don't really care about amenities, other than having a washer and dryer in my unit, I don't want to deal with laundry facilities. Any advice on complexes to avoid would be great! I'm trying to stay within the $500-$550/month price range for a studio or 1 bdrm.

Also, I will be there from January to December...can someone give me kind of a play-by-play as far as weather?? Will I be dealing with snow? tornados? Thanks for your help! It's kind of nerve racking moving someplace you've never been!!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:56 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Lauren View Post
Hey everyone....
Hi Lauren. You must be the one I referred here from Yahoo Answers.

Quote:
I'm headed to Creighton for nursing school this coming January
Congrats!

Quote:
from california and I need some help on good places to live. I'd like to be close to campus, but I'm not really into the party scene. Is "downtown" really that "downtown"ish, i.e clubs and nightlife going into the early morning hours? I plan to be in my room studying the majority of my time and want to be somewhere fairly quiet. I don't really care about amenities, other than having a washer and dryer in my unit, I don't want to deal with laundry facilities. Any advice on complexes to avoid would be great! I'm trying to stay within the $500-$550/month price range for a studio or 1 bdrm.
The Old Market and NoDo (North Downtown) is where the nightlife is, and although it's been 8 years since I moved away from Omaha, I can say with considerable certainty that you won't find too many $500 a month apartments there.

Personally I would recommend either The Conant (19th and Farnam) and Union Plaza (16th and Jackson). These are the two places I'm looking at for when I move back to Omaha next year. Both are in your price range and within a mile/mile and a half of Creighton, plus they're close to (but not in) the areas with lots of nightlife.

Quote:
Also, I will be there from January to December...can someone give me kind of a play-by-play as far as weather?? Will I be dealing with snow? tornados? Thanks for your help! It's kind of nerve racking moving someplace you've never been!!
The weather is not too bad. In winter, you'll get a few weeks of really bad cold and snow but the rest of the time it's pretty manageable. The spring and fall seasons are great, and Omaha looks great in the fall IMO. The summers can get pretty hot, but not really anymore so than most parts of America. Being from California, it probably won't be too big of a change for you.

Also, don't worry about tornadoes. Omaha hasn't had any significant tornado damage since 1975.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Lauren View Post
Hey everyone....

I'm headed to Creighton for nursing school this coming January from california and I need some help on good places to live. I'd like to be close to campus, but I'm not really into the party scene. Is "downtown" really that "downtown"ish, i.e clubs and nightlife going into the early morning hours? I plan to be in my room studying the majority of my time and want to be somewhere fairly quiet. I don't really care about amenities, other than having a washer and dryer in my unit, I don't want to deal with laundry facilities. Any advice on complexes to avoid would be great! I'm trying to stay within the $500-$550/month price range for a studio or 1 bdrm.

First of all, congrats on the impending move!

Depending on what part of California you're coming from, the Nebraska winter IS going to be a shock to your system. We can have sub-zero temperatures and lots of snow - and sometimes simultaneously. But don't worry about it. Everyone is in the same boat, and we just deal with it. In addition, most of the time the winter weather is just kind of chilly. Nothing crazy.

One area in which you might want to look for an apartment is "Midtown." It's just to the west of the Creighton Campus, and there are a LOT of student rentals available. Roughly speaking, I'm referring to Midtown as 25th to about 45th Street - and a couple blocks north & south of Dodge St. I can't say for sure, but you might be pushing it to get an apartment for the price you mentioned.

Do NOT listen to the inevitable cacophony of West Omaha folks who will talk as though everything east of 72nd Street is a war-zone. They're either intentionally lying, joking, or are completely deluded and ignorant.

I'll suggest to you what I've suggested to several people in your situation. Hit us up with specific apartments/houses you're thinking of. We can weigh in with our opinions of the area. We can also help make sure your car is ready to handle winter.

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 06-11-2010 at 06:43 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Do NOT listen to the inevitable cacophony of West Omaha folks who will talk as though everything east of 72nd Street is a war-zone. They're either intentionally lying, joking, or are completely deluded and ignorant.

To reiterate, there is one person in the entire forum who bashes everything east of 72nd. ONE. Its gotten ridiculous and I'm sick of it.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,851 times
Quote:
To reiterate, there is one person in the entire forum who bashes everything east of 72nd. ONE. Its gotten ridiculous and I'm sick of it.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:18 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
To reiterate, there is one person in the entire forum who bashes everything that isn't Southwest Omaha
Fixed your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha