U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 PM

152 posts, read 317,320 times

Advertisements

Boy - you are really failing to to read those maps correctly -- the default is on those sites is for a one week range -- if you broaden the week range - you get lots of incidents (especially in the blighted area surrounding Creighton). Do you think you are doing someone a favor by telling them that this area is just as safe as anywhere else (especially if safety is a criteria for their apartment search)?

People -- if you are following this thread --play with those links yourself and come to your own decision - don't listen to the 'gumdrops and lollypops' version -- rose colored glasses only block the truth.

Last edited by tones; 06-12-2010 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 11:43 PM

13,909 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
Boy - you are really failing to to read those maps correctly -- the default is on those sites is for a one week range -- if you broaden the week range - you get lots of incidents (especially in the blighted area surrounding Creighton).
Yeah, I can work a crime map just fine, thank you very much.

Open the date range up to over a month and look at the area around Creighton. You still have no real major crimes save for a couple thefts to the north of the area.

Better yet, tell me how often you see crimes in downtown reported on the news. Very, very rarely. Hell as a matter of fact, earlier this year their was a story about a Creighton student getting assaulted and almost every person interviewed mentioned how shocked they were because the area around Creighton is so safe.

Quote:
Do you think you are doing someone a favor by telling them that this area is just as safe as anywhere else (especially if safety is a criteria for their apartment search)?
I tell people the truth. Nothing more and nothing less.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:11 AM

As Dr. Evil would say, "Riiiiiiiiiiiiight."

Now I think you just being a liar. Go to this link and do the date range for May 2010. Note that the area in question is DROWNING in crimes.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map/ne/omaha

Last edited by tones; 06-13-2010 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: problems with photo link

Old 06-13-2010, 12:41 AM

Dude, that is NOT Downtown, it's the entire eastern half of the city.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:01 AM

Do you even see the Creighton campus (borders protected by campus security) peeking out from the heaviest concentration of crime on the map?

Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
Do you even see the Creighton campus (borders protected by campus security) peeking out from the heaviest concentration of crime on the map?
And do you see that at the elevation you have that map set to that a single one of those icons covers roughly a city block? Why don't you stop trying to misrepresent the facts and focus directly on Downtown (which for the Geographically challenged like yourself, is 20th to the river and Leavenworth to Cuming) or better yet, focus specifically on Creighton?

Hell, I'll do it myself, using the exact same date range you used.

Kinda blows your "drowning in crime" bull**** out of the water, doesn't it?

Old 06-13-2010, 03:02 AM

You totally left out Dodge to Leavenworth -- the very neighborhood that you would have this young lady walking through to get to and from the campus. My suggestion is for people to go to the link -- play around with it -- put in several different date ranges -- look at it with several different zoom settings - People who don't want to deal with the humanoids will come to the same conclusion-- that area of town is a SCHITHOLE!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 AM

Default A comparison from the same map

Here we have different sections of the map. Same date range 5/01/2010 to 05/31/2010. Same zoom level.

No area is totally free of crime, but keep in mind that every month a new set of "balloons" goes up at about the same distribution. Where would you go if you didn't want to "be a balloon"?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,690,173 times
My brother and sister both live downtown. Neither has ever experienced a crime. Yeah we joke about it but nothing has ever happened to them.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM

736 posts, read 1,663,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
My brother and sister both live downtown. Neither has ever experienced a crime. Yeah we joke about it but nothing has ever happened to them.
I bet they live in Riverfront Condo's with underground indoor parking with access control doors, CCTV systems, door man, well lighted sidewalks and perimeter.

I know they have not ever experienced any crime.

The fact of the matter is the area around Creighton and DT is a toilet. Day or night it's just plain bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or