U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2010, 06:06 PM

10,963 posts, read 9,823,491 times

Advertisements

The Capitol Hill apartments is probably be a bit nicer area than the Rorick, being right next to Central High and the Joslyn Art museum. Also, it looks like there is going to be a pretty major development happening there soon as well.

More housing for downtown? - Omaha.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 AM

2,915 posts, read 4,088,067 times
I would stay away from 114th and West Center Rd

unless I need a good laugh from it's locals there

"Adolph Hitler Made Me Grow It"

Omaha man gives police a unique excuse for growing marijuana

Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,285,728 times
^^ You must mean 14th & Grover, because nothing like that could POSSIBLY be happening as far west as 114th & Grover!

On the other hand, the presence of white supremacists...

Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM

2,915 posts, read 4,088,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
^^ You must mean 14th & Grover, because nothing like that could POSSIBLY be happening as far west as 114th & Grover!

On the other hand, the presence of white supremacists...
if that happened in the "14th and grover" area. people would have smelled the stuff from the nearby Hendry Doorly zoo and also the CWS.

they are blocks from the area on 14th.

btw: considering that big rotating statue at 114th and center it could be why the guy was growing marijuana there since

that would be the least odd thing going on in that area

song in Honor of 114th and center area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidmtatKjyc

Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 6,758 times
how much should I estimate for ODDP and Black Hill energy costs? In the winter I don't use too much heat, I'm fine with blankets and electric blanets. In the summer, I do like to keep an apartment around 70 degrees. The apartment I'm looking at is only about 600 sq feet. Any ideas of potential costs? thanks!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Lauren View Post
how much should I estimate for ODDP and Black Hill energy costs? In the winter I don't use too much heat, I'm fine with blankets and electric blanets. In the summer, I do like to keep an apartment around 70 degrees. The apartment I'm looking at is only about 600 sq feet. Any ideas of potential costs? thanks!
That's going to depend largely on how well insulated and sealed your apartment is. It will also depend on the efficiency of the furnace and/or air conditioner. It will also depend on whether or not you have laundry facilities in your apartment.

As you know, different rentals handle utilities differently. In my rentals, the tenant pays everything. In other apartments, the owner will pay for everything except - say - electricity.

In Omaha, OPPD (Omaha Public Power District) is your electricity supplier. MUD (metro utilities district) provides gas, water, & sewer.

I'm going to guess that, being a single person who will be gone a lot, you should be able to pay about $100 per month for everything. However, if you want a better idea, call OPPD and MUD, give them the address of the apartment, and ask for past bills.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,357,843 times
It also depends on which floor you are on and if you have vaulted ceilings.

We used to live in Thomasville apartments and the combination of the 3rd floor, poor insulation, and poor efficiency furnace and AC made our utilities outrageous. During a hot 90+ degree summer day AC ran constantly and the apartment never dropped below 76 during the day. The furnace kept up OK I guess, but after it shut off it would only take minutes for the drafty place to drop a couple degrees and make it kick back on. The temperature by the windows was totally different than the other parts of the apartment. On a windy day the windows would howl like someone sitting in the room with a harmonica. One day when it was raining hard and windy, the windows let water in. . That was fun.

Anyways. We all had separate OPPD bills, but all the tenants in the building split the one gas bill, which was kind of jank. OPPD during the summer was around $175 dollars and the gas bill was around $20. In the winter the gas went up to around $115, and OPPD down to $50. The apartment was only about 650 square foot.

We now pay less for triple the square foot with vaulted ceilings.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM

^^ This is precisely where a lot of renters get royally screwed. UTILITIES.

The first thing that is always looked at is the price per month for rent. A lot of people will choose to rent one apartment over another, because it's $50 per month cheaper - only to find out that the utility bills are outrageous. Then you add to that the fact that, even with high utility costs, some apartments just can't be made comfortable.

I make tenants pay their own heat/utilities because that's the only way they'll be careful. But I am meticulous about energy costs. In one rental house, we have a new high-efficiency furnace, central AC & water heater, and just last fall I added insulation - taking the entire attic to R40. With all the tax credits & rebates, it makes no sense not to do that. Plus, it's just the right thing to do.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:36 AM

6 posts, read 6,758 times
thanks for all the imput =) the apartments were built about 4 or 5 years ago, so maybe that means they might be better insulated and have more energy efficient aspects

Old 07-03-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Lauren View Post
thanks for all the imput =) the apartments were built about 4 or 5 years ago, so maybe that means they might be better insulated and have more energy efficient aspects
Hopefully, yes.

Remember... You can call OPPD and MUD to get information about how much previous tenants had paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha