Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 AM

152 posts, read 364,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Wrong.

South Omaha...just like Florence, Dundee, Benson, East Omaha, Saratoga, etc...was once an independent city that was annexed into Omaha and as such it's borders are already defined. South Omaha's boundaries are 42nd to the river and Vinton to Harrison/county line.

Even if you use the CoC's more liberal definition of South Omaha (which they admit does not follow the traditional boundaries) this burglary is almost a mile north of there.

Project South Omaha - Study Area (http://www.omahachamber.org/sodp/boundaries.html - broken link)

Your "modern boundaries" of South Omaha are also downright laughable as that would include a significant portion of Midtown.

Honestly, if you're going to sit here and try to tell people what parts of town are bad or good, you should acquire at least a rudimentary understanding of the city's history and the neighborhoods and districts contained within it, lest you get pounded by those who do.

It's funny how you've gone from putting down South Omaha due to violent crime, and then when that was blown out of the water, it went to arrest warrants for those wanted for probation violation and hit and run, and now it's about dirty homes with too many animals. Just like with the Downtown/Creighton argument, which you also lost miserably, this is a perfect example of the futility of your position.

Seriously, you reach more than Al Davis on draft day.
Whatever! South of Leavenworth is close enough to South Omaha to be lumped with it. 100 years ago was a 100 years ago. We are talking about NOW. You can live there if you want to. But have fun with the high frequency of hit and run drunks, stabbings, rapes, burglaries, shootings, and the close proximity to thugs. Which the cat (the news) will continue to drag in on a daily basis. If some of that area is technically mid-town -- then part of mid-town (the part that borders South-Omaha) is a shyte-hole too!

Oh and all that money you speak of - flushed .

Last edited by tones; 07-10-2010 at 01:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
Whatever! South of Leavenworth is close enough South Omaha.
LMAO. "Close enough!"

Could there be a greater admission of failure? I think not.

Quote:
100 years ago was a 100 years ago. We are talking about NOW.
I am talking about now, and the boundaries of South Omaha haven't changed. I'm not sure where you got the impression that people would go "well such and such part of town used to lie between these boundaries, but now we're going to say it's between this different set of boundaries" but that's just not how things happen, especially with a place with such established history as South Omaha.

Quote:
You can live there if you want to.
I'm glad I have your permission Tones, but unfortunately I will probably settle somewhere in Midtown or Benson when I buy a house.

Quote:
But have fun with the high frequency of hit and run drunks
There is no connection between these incidents and the different parts of town. Case in point, Josie Bluhm. Died after someone ran a stop sign and hit her parent's minivan. That happened at 180th and West Center.

Hey, isn't that just about a mile west of you, Tones?

Quote:
stabbings, rapes, burglaries, shootings, and the close proximity to thugs.
We've done this dance already, and you came out on the losing end.

Quote:
If some of that area is technically mid-town
No technicality about it. It is Midtown.

Quote:
-- then parts of mid-town are sheeeeit- holes too!
Hardly surprising. Midtown is a very large area, so it's bound to have some rough patches. It's also home to some of the most beautiful parts of Omaha.

Quote:
Oh and all that money you speak of - flushed .
That's what they said about 15 years ago when they started pumping all that money into Downtown. Now it's thriving.

Last edited by McBain II; 07-10-2010 at 02:41 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 02:41 AM

Just to drive the final stake through Tones' fear-mongering, allow me to show you some of these "horrible" parts of town. Thanks go out to Brad and Josh (from EOmaha) for sharing these pictures with us.

Downtown

Creighton Campus

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

South Omaha

Sure looks like a bunch of dangerous ghettos to me!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
LMAO. "Close enough!"

Could there be a greater admission of failure? I think not.

I am talking about now, and the boundaries of South Omaha haven't changed. I'm not sure where you got the impression that people would go "well such and such part of town used to lie between these boundaries, but now we're going to say it's between this different set of boundaries" but that's just not how things happen, especially with a place with such established history as South Omaha.

I'm glad I have your permission Tones, but unfortunately I will probably settle somewhere in Midtown or Benson when I buy a house.

There is no connection between these incidents and the different parts of town. Case in point, Josie Bluhm. Died after someone ran a stop sign and hit her parent's minivan. That happened at 180th and West Center.

Hey, isn't that just about a mile west of you, Tones?

We've done this dance already, and you came out on the losing end.

No technicality about it. It is Midtown.

Hardly surprising. Midtown is a very large area, so it's bound to have some rough patches. It's also home to some of the most beautiful parts of Omaha.

That's what they said about 15 years ago when they started pumping all that money into Downtown. Now it's thriving.
It's not at all an admission of failure. South of Leavenworth and only a couple of blocks west of 24th is the crime addled '24th street corridor' as far as I'm concerned. Sure incidents happen in other areas of town as well- they just happen more frequently in south-0. The incident you mention along 180th and Center involved an illegal immigrant -- they do manage to get out of South Omaha from time to time.

So you admit to the blighted parts of midtown -- (example: the areas that border South-Omaha). Thank you for supporting my case. While there are some beautiful areas amongst the rough patches -- they remain "nice places to visit, BUT...." you know how the rest goes.

There's a big difference between the investment in Downtown from 15 years ago and the proposed/current money flushes in South O. Downtown was not that heavily populated. Lots of buildings that went empty at night. I only jumped in on this thread again because moby asked an honest question and deserved an honest answer. Is it of no concern that a big majority of the most wanted on Omaha's crimestoppers board are from South Omaha? Those mugshots may be self-pleasuring fodder for YOU, but for the rest of us they are evidence of the crime wave that has taken over that area.

Question-- do you have low reading comprehension? I've noticed in many of your posts you do this "line-by-line" quoting. Are you unable to read an entire paragraph and give a response? Maybe we can get you to try "hooked on phonics" or something --

Last edited by tones; 07-10-2010 at 05:32 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 07:30 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Quote:
It's not at all an admission of failure. South of Leavenworth and only a couple of blocks west of 24th is the crime addled '24th street corridor' as far as I'm concerned. Sure incidents happen in other areas of town as well- they just happen more frequently in south-0. The incident you mention along 180th and Center involved an illegal immigrant -- they do manage to get out of South Omaha from time to time.

So you admit to the blighted parts of midtown -- (example: the areas that border South-Omaha). Thank you for supporting my case. While there are some beautiful areas amongst the rough patches -- they remain "nice places to visit, BUT...." you know how the rest goes.

There's a big difference between the investment in Downtown from 15 years ago and the proposed/current money flushes in South O. Downtown was not that heavily populated. Lots of buildings that went empty at night. I only jumped in on this thread again because moby asked an honest question and deserved an honest answer. Is it of no concern that a big majority of the most wanted on Omaha's crimestoppers board are from South Omaha? Those mugshots may be self-pleasuring fodder for YOU, but for the rest of us they are evidence of the crime wave that has taken over that area.

Question-- do you have low reading comprehension? I've noticed in many of your posts you do this "line-by-line" quoting. Are you unable to read an entire paragraph and give a response? Maybe we can get you to try "hooked on phonics" or something --
Ok even IF South Omaha was awful, gentrification happens in those places all the time, and 15 years from now you will probably be praising the reinvestment in South Omaha and complaining about the 1 or 2 murders a year in.... i dunno 120th and dodge.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
It's not at all an admission of failure. South of Leavenworth and only a couple of blocks west of 24th is the crime addled '24th street corridor' as far as I'm concerned.
So now you're not even going to argue facts eh? Just say "hey, that area is high crime in my opinion!"?

Well that's one way to cop out I guess, but did you realize that those first two pictures of South Omaha is the "crime addled" 24th Street Corridor?

Once again, your opinion and the facts are playing on different teams here.

Quote:
If that supports your case, then your case is also that West Omaha is "nice place to visit, BUT..." as there are several parts west of 72nd that are pretty rough as well.

Quote:
There's a big difference between the investment in Downtown from 15 years ago and the proposed/current money flushes in South O. Downtown was not that heavily populated. Lots of buildings that went empty at night.
Umm, ok?

Quote:
I only jumped in on this thread again because moby asked an honest question and deserved an honest answer.
Actually you didn't jump in this thread until Lauren showed up asking for advice, at which point you tried telling her that the area surrounding Creighton was "blighted" which as we all know now, was either an outright lie or just downright ignorant.

Quote:
Is it of no concern that a big majority of the most wanted on Omaha's crimestoppers board are from South Omaha?
Are they? Because they don't list the addresses of those who are wanted and at best they'll give the address the crime occurred at, a couple of which you posted actually occurred outside South Omaha. Maybe you just think Hispanic = South Omaha.

Quote:
Those mugshots may be self-pleasuring fodder for YOU, but for the rest of us they are evidence of the crime wave that has taken over that area.
What the hell would you know about it? You don't live anywhere near South Omaha, and don't even know what South Omaha actually is, yet you feel qualified to comment on this supposed crime wave that has supposedly taken over the city?

That takes some nerve.

Perhaps you should tell the thousands upon thousands of families who visit the Zoo, Rosenblatt, and the many long standing restaurants in South Omaha. I'm sure they'd be glad to know they're taking their life in their hands every time they enter that part of town.

Quote:
I do it because it's easier to respond to individual points rather than jumbling it all together in a single paragraph. I have no idea how the hell you equated that to low reading comprehension but....oh, wait. I forgot who I was talking to here.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
WOW!!! Your CRAZY!! In this town??!?! Wow, your just begging to get robbed.
No Brian, I live in North Omaha. I'm not paranoid, nor am I a racist. What I do know is that it's safe living here. I'm not involved in a gang, and I neither buy nor sell drugs. I am no more apt to get robbed than you are. In fact, I am less apt to get robbed than people living in the West half of Omaha.

In fact, I'm beginning to pull my keys and lock my vehicles when I go out into West Omaha - and it's beginning to look like even doing THAT isn't safe! http://www.action3news.com/global/story.asp?s=12783833 (broken link)

It's kind of shocking, when you look at the Omaha crime map, how much burglary, car theft, breaking & entering, assaults, and armed robbery is taking place. It's a veritable war zone over there!

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 07-10-2010 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenellharrell View Post
I am visiting Omaha, NE in 3 weeks with family. I wanted to take a tour, and see Warren Buffets Home. Where is it located in Nebraska and address, I cant believe he still lives in the same house. My uncle told me somewhere on S 55 ST or so. Hope someone can help
You're going to be a little disappointed when you roll by Ole Warren's house. It's on the Southwest corner of 55th & Farnam. It's a nice house in the Dundee neighborhood, but there is NOTHING about it that says, "Hey, the richest man in the world lives in this house!"

Don't plan to spend an afternoon there.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
No Brian, I live in North Omaha. I'm not paranoid, nor am I a racist. What I do know is that it's safe living here. I'm not involved in a gang, and I neither buy nor sell drugs. I am no more apt to get robbed than you are. In fact, I am less apt to get robbed than people living in the West half of Omaha.

In fact, I'm beginning to pull my keys and lock my vehicles when I go out into West Omaha - and it's beginning to look like even doing THAT isn't safe! Carjackers Hold Victim at Gunpoint - Action 3 News - Omaha, Nebraska News, Weather, and Sports | (http://www.action3news.com/global/story.asp?s=12783833 - broken link)

It's kind of shocking, when you look at the Omaha crime map, how much burglary, car theft, breaking & entering, assaults, and armed robbery is taking place. It's a veritable war zone over there!
Ummm.... i believe he was being sarcastic.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 AM

Default South Omaha - "There goes the neighborhood"

What nice area of town.....

Mom Allegedly Helps Daughter In Fist Fight, Then Records Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha