U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,694 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My wife and I want to relocate from Las Vegas to Omaha at some point and I have an Associate of Applied Science in Computer and Information Technology, but don't have any experience. Does anyone work in an IT field in the Omaha area that can answer some questions for me. What I really need to know is what are the chances of finding an IT job in Omaha while living out of state and having no experience with my education level? I've already looked at that CareerLink website and see plenty of jobs but they all want experience. Thanks for all the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
852 posts, read 1,197,320 times
Reputation: 350
I work as a Business Systems Liaison (Sr. Business Analyst) for a large bank. I started with the bank three years ago as a Fraud Analyst while I was finishing up my bachelor's degree. One year ago, I was promoted to the Business Analyst position and I graduated in six months ago. So while I think it's possible, I'm probably one of the few exceptions (at least in regards to Business Analysts). I've noticed that most look for considerable experience. You may want to go back to school to finish you degree while you get for your foot in the door at a company that interests you (Con Agra, Mutual of Omaha, etc). That's the route I took and seemed to have worked out but I definitely had to take a pay cut. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 11:40 PM
 
4,669 posts, read 4,092,133 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb30 View Post
Hello everyone,
My wife and I want to relocate from Las Vegas to Omaha at some point and I have an Associate of Applied Science in Computer and Information Technology, but don't have any experience. Does anyone work in an IT field in the Omaha area that can answer some questions for me. What I really need to know is what are the chances of finding an IT job in Omaha while living out of state and having no experience with my education level? I've already looked at that CareerLink website and see plenty of jobs but they all want experience. Thanks for all the help in advance.
I started with an Associate's Degree...but it was almost 10 years ago. My first job was as a Network Ops guy--I rebooted computers and called someone if it didn't fix it.

There are plenty of jobs in this area for a help desk type position, or tech help that require some knowledge of computers, but aren't necessarily $70k/year jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 PM
 
28 posts, read 60,901 times
Reputation: 48
Smile help

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I work as a Business Systems Liaison (Sr. Business Analyst) for a large bank. I started with the bank three years ago as a Fraud Analyst while I was finishing up my bachelor's degree. One year ago, I was promoted to the Business Analyst position and I graduated in six months ago. So while I think it's possible, I'm probably one of the few exceptions (at least in regards to Business Analysts). I've noticed that most look for considerable experience. You may want to go back to school to finish you degree while you get for your foot in the door at a company that interests you (Con Agra, Mutual of Omaha, etc). That's the route I took and seemed to have worked out but I definitely had to take a pay cut. Good luck.

By any chance do you know of anyone hiring? My son was laid off from DTN after almost 13 yrs. He has a BS in business and is starting ITT Tech in just a few weeks. He hasn't been able to find anything and he is getting depressed. Thanks, Kathytom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
852 posts, read 1,197,320 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytom View Post
By any chance do you know of anyone hiring? My son was laid off from DTN after almost 13 yrs. He has a BS in business and is starting ITT Tech in just a few weeks. He hasn't been able to find anything and he is getting depressed. Thanks, Kathytom
Unfortunately, I don't but feel free to have him check here for BA jobs:

Jobs Employment: Business Analyst Jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 PM
 
28 posts, read 60,901 times
Reputation: 48
Thanks. The problem is they want an IT Degree or lots of yrs experience.

Once he starts ITT Tech, they say they will help him find work, even while in school.

Anyone have any ideas please post.
Thanks,
Kathytom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top