U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Grand Island, Nebraska
736 posts, read 1,667,808 times
Reputation: 327

Advertisements

It started a bit late this year , but the shooting and murder season in North O is in full swing right now. 19 separate shooting, 13 wounded and 5 killed in the last two weeks.

Question to the North Omaha Community leaders and Omaha City Council.

What does it take for you all to open your eyes and do something about this?

What to "you" think needs to be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2009, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,220 posts, read 3,421,851 times
Reputation: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
It started a bit late this year , but the shooting and murder season in North O is in full swing right now. 19 separate shooting, 13 wounded and 5 killed in the last two weeks.

Question to the North Omaha Community leaders and Omaha City Council.

What does it take for you all to open your eyes and do something about this?

What to "you" think needs to be done?
Would I be correct in assuming that north O is a... well, you know... "diverse" area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 02:35 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,176,970 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Would I be correct in assuming that north O is a... well, you know... "diverse" area?
Yes. And you would be correct in assuming that SOMEBODY on this forum is a racist. Guess who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
 
15 posts, read 72,568 times
Reputation: 18
Why would you assume someone is racist because of that? It is definately a poorer section of the city and yes there are more minorities. Only makes sense right? I am sure the "white" people in that are of the city are contributing to the shootings just as much...only there aren't as many of them. You don't have the shootings and high crime in the "nicer" areas of the city. People need to get over their sensitivities to so called racism when it is what it is....less advantaged people commit more crimes instead of taking advantage of the opportunities that are provided. Quit thinking like a hooligan and become a productive member of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
193 posts, read 591,614 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss03 View Post
Why would you assume someone is racist because of that? It is definately a poorer section of the city and yes there are more minorities. Only makes sense right? I am sure the "white" people in that are of the city are contributing to the shootings just as much...only there aren't as many of them. You don't have the shootings and high crime in the "nicer" areas of the city. People need to get over their sensitivities to so called racism when it is what it is....less advantaged people commit more crimes instead of taking advantage of the opportunities that are provided. Quit thinking like a hooligan and become a productive member of society.
I don't know if I'd call Happy racists, but you might want to read Happy's other posts to see where Omaha Rocks is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 05:16 PM
 
187 posts, read 582,411 times
Reputation: 80
Shootings in Omaha are not and have never been confined solely to north Omaha. Yes, there is more violent crime there statistically, but it does happen elsewhere. It happens in west Omaha, Lincoln, Plattsmouth, ELKHORN! Who knew?!

Omaha Rocks is certainly not a hooligan; he is a contributing member of society who happens to live in north Omaha, and loves it there.

Anyway, the local paper (who we all know can be trusted all the time) states that extra officers are posted in the "hot spots" where the numerous shootings have occurred over the past few weeks, but I really don't know if that's helped. I have much respect for the Omaha Police Department, but I really think more needs to be done. I just don't know what that is. The issue goes to a much deeper level than just having look-outs in street corners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 05:19 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,176,970 times
Reputation: 3889
Almost 100% of the shootings in North Omaha are gang & drug related. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,234 posts, read 7,268,097 times
Reputation: 6700
One thing I always wondered when I worked as a Corrections officer at the Nebraska State Pen was; Why would anyone who was planning on a career in crime or a member of a gang want to tatoo their bodies with tatoos alluding to the fact they were criminals?

Sometimes the bad guys just make it too damn easy.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 PM
 
5,239 posts, read 6,764,665 times
Reputation: 11326
how was happys comment racist? if quoting stats for shootings and their locations, how does that make one racist? where are most of the gang related shootings occurring? would it be racist to point that out also? would the world herald or tv news be considered racist for giving facts on shootings that happened over the weekend and their locations? its simply stating a statistic, not an opinion about color.

so we know the primary source of the problems, what needs to be done to stop the gang crime in these areas? i cant see there has been much progress over the years to stop these problems. dont pple in the area have to present a strong organized uniform front if they ever expect to rid the area of this kind of crime, or is it to late for that? there are shootings in other areas as mentioned, but the numbers dont lie. these same problems occur in other cities in similar areas and there doesnt seem to be an end to it. always so sad to read of some coward shooting out of a speeding car and hitting an innocent bystander, but it happens over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,176,970 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
how was happys comment racist? if quoting stats for shootings and their locations, how does that make one racist? where are most of the gang related shootings occurring? would it be racist to point that out also? would the world herald or tv news be considered racist for giving facts on shootings that happened over the weekend and their locations? its simply stating a statistic, not an opinion about color.

so we know the primary source of the problems, what needs to be done to stop the gang crime in these areas? i cant see there has been much progress over the years to stop these problems. dont pple in the area have to present a strong organized uniform front if they ever expect to rid the area of this kind of crime, or is it to late for that? there are shootings in other areas as mentioned, but the numbers dont lie. these same problems occur in other cities in similar areas and there doesnt seem to be an end to it. always so sad to read of some coward shooting out of a speeding car and hitting an innocent bystander, but it happens over and over again.
Read more of Happy's drivel. You'll understand.


And by the way, unless you live in Omaha and actually pay attention, you don't know what's really going on. There is all kinds of crime taking place in West Omaha. It's just that there are enough people with enough money out there that they keep it quiet - and that's coming from a friend of mine who is a black lady living in West Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top