U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 AM

704 posts, read 1,613,577 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are fairly new to town and don't get to go out too often. But when we do get to go out we are really needing help finding a decent place to get a drink. We are finding that we are stuck between two generations of bar types.

We either run into the 21-22 year old single drunk and hump scene, or the over the hill blue collar crew.

We are just looking for a laid back place that would play some decent music, and offer a cool atmosphere.

We can't be the only 29 year old couple in town that wants to grab a drink somewhere cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,192,394 times
You're in luck. I know a few places.

Myth (Howard St. near 11th)
It's a Martini bar but they do have beer and wine available. It's a nice sized place without being too small. There are comfy leather couches for groups and couples as well as tables and stools for small groups. They sometimes have live, usually acoustic, music through out the week but they music is usually Jazz-esque over the speakers. The staff has been there since day 1 so they run the place well. Even on busy nights you're never waiting long for a drink.

Urban Wine Company (11th and Jones)
Obviously a wine bar but a very large bar with a patio the serves great sushi and other menu items. Weekends can sometimes bring in the younger 20's crowd but it's not the rowdy meat market crowd. It's usually the kids with mom and dad's money renting apartments upstairs that come down and play grown up. It's not that bad though. The staff has gone through a major change. Before I would have vouched for them, now I can't really say since I haven't been to the bars much.

LIV Lounge (Aksarben Village)
I haven't actually been there but my friends tell me I would love it and it's like the places above so it could be worth checking out.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
You're in luck. I know a few places.

Myth (Howard St. near 11th)
It's a Martini bar but they do have beer and wine available. It's a nice sized place without being too small. There are comfy leather couches for groups and couples as well as tables and stools for small groups. They sometimes have live, usually acoustic, music through out the week but they music is usually Jazz-esque over the speakers. The staff has been there since day 1 so they run the place well. Even on busy nights you're never waiting long for a drink.

Urban Wine Company (11th and Jones)
Obviously a wine bar but a very large bar with a patio the serves great sushi and other menu items. Weekends can sometimes bring in the younger 20's crowd but it's not the rowdy meat market crowd. It's usually the kids with mom and dad's money renting apartments upstairs that come down and play grown up. It's not that bad though. The staff has gone through a major change. Before I would have vouched for them, now I can't really say since I haven't been to the bars much.

LIV Lounge (Aksarben Village)
I haven't actually been there but my friends tell me I would love it and it's like the places above so it could be worth checking out.

All sound like they could have potential, thanks!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,192,394 times
Keep in mind I live Downtown and only go Downtown. There may be other places out there that fit the bill but I wouldn't know what to recommend.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 AM

536 posts, read 1,945,294 times
I hear Espana is Benson it pretty cool... latin/electronic music & yummy tapas... sounds good to me.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 AM

481 posts, read 1,150,376 times
I would have to say Jakes in Benson. There is a smoke/cigar/wine store with a humidor in the front. Behind that is a small scotch bar. Behind that is a larger bar with tap beers and a huge booze selection. Behind that is an indoor/outdoor smoking area. Very eclectic crowd. My fav bar in town by far.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 AM

We live near Benson and have a gift card to the Pizza Shoppe, maybe we'll have to go up there have some pie and check these spots out, thanks!!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
I would have to say Jakes in Benson. There is a smoke/cigar/wine store with a humidor in the front. Behind that is a small scotch bar. Behind that is a larger bar with tap beers and a huge booze selection. Behind that is an indoor/outdoor smoking area. Very eclectic crowd. My fav bar in town by far.

With the new smoking ban they don't allow smoking in Jake's do they? Sounds like a really cool place, in fact I've driven by and seen it before and was curious. My wife would no be down with smoking, I didn't know if there was a loophole in the ban for cigar bars.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 PM

481 posts, read 1,150,376 times
You exit the building to an area that has a heated "indoor" area with a "window" to the outside. Out another door in that same room is the outdoor patio. None of the smoke gets inside the building.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM

852 posts, read 1,194,607 times
I really enjoy hanging out at Liv Lounge. It's got a kind of cool 1930's feel to it while remaining hip. The majority of people there from what I've seen are in their 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha