Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's okay for him to protest his property tax rate, but it's not okay for me to gripe about mine?

Hmmmm...
Again, two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Again, two different things.
No, it's not.

He's smarting off to me about not wanting my taxes to go up.

But when his taxes were going to go up, he protested to the city so that they wouldn't.

In other words, "I want YOU to pay more taxes, but I refuse to pay more myself!"

It's unabated hypocrisy.

But I digress... The OP is about the fact that our city council and mayor are typical of people who manage publicly-funded entities. Typical of those who are spending somebody else's money.

When, through poor fiscal management they find themselves in a pinch, they just take more money.

And guess what? They're going to turn around and do it again and again and again and again. Why? Because just taking more money is easier than prudent fiscal management.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
No, it's not.

He's smarting off to me about not wanting my taxes to go up.

But when his taxes were going to go up, he protested to the city so that they wouldn't.

In other words, "I want YOU to pay more taxes, but I refuse to pay more myself!"

It's unabated hypocrisy.
It's not the same thing, no matter how much you claim otherwise. He's not protesting his taxes going up. He's protesting the valuation of his home as is his right. Once that was sorted out, you didn't hear any bitching about taxes from him, did you?

My point exactly.

Quote:
But I digress... The OP is about the fact that our city council and mayor are typical of people who manage publicly-funded entities. Typical of those who are spending somebody else's money.

When, through poor fiscal management they find themselves in a pinch, they just take more money.

And guess what? They're going to turn around and do it again and again and again and again. Why? Because just taking more money is easier than prudent fiscal management.
So again, what would you have done about the budget? You mentioned the Qwest Center, but what else would you do?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
It's not the same thing, no matter how much you claim otherwise. He's not protesting his taxes going up. He's protesting the valuation of his home as is his right. Once that was sorted out, you didn't hear any bitching about taxes from him, did you?

My point exactly.

So again, what would you have done about the budget? You mentioned the Qwest Center, but what else would you do?

Ummmm, hello. The whole point of bitching about the valuation of his house is because his taxes would go up markedly. That is the ONLY reason to protest the assessed value of your house. Otherwise, you'd want it assessed higher, because many banks use the assessed value of a home when figuring what they'll allow on second mortgages and home equity lines of credit. In addition, assessed valuations of homes are a basis by which appraisers often arrive at a market value.

He protested the assessed valuation of his house because he didn't want to pay more property taxes. Period. There is absolutely no other reason to protest it.

Then he turns around and smarts off to somebody else who doesn't want to pay more property taxes.

By the way, are you a home owner? Do you pay property tax in Omaha?

The state of Nebraska's tax rate (figured as a percentage) is 17th in the nation - considerably higher than all the states around us. Omaha's property tax rate is already over 4x as high as Colorado Springs - a city of comparable size. Are we really going to make believe that this play no role in businesses deciding to come to Omaha and/or stay in Omaha?

Regarding the budget... I already answered that in another post.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Ummmm, hello. The whole point of bitching about the valuation of his house is because his taxes would go up markedly. That is the ONLY reason to protest the assessed value of your house. Otherwise, you'd want it assessed higher, because many banks use the assessed value of a home when figuring what they'll allow on second mortgages and home equity lines of credit. In addition, assessed valuations of homes are a basis by which appraisers often arrive at a market value.

He protested the assessed valuation of his house because he didn't want to pay more property taxes. Period. There is absolutely no other reason to protest it.

Then he turns around and smarts off to somebody else who doesn't want to pay more property taxes.
I guess we just see it differently. Looks to me like he's fine paying taxes as long as they're fair.

Quote:
By the way, are you a home owner? Do you pay property tax in Omaha?
I'm stuck in Florida right now.

I should be back in Omaha next year though.

Quote:
The state of Nebraska's tax rate (figured as a percentage) is 17th in the nation - considerably higher than all the states around us. Omaha's property tax rate is already over 4x as high as Colorado Springs - a city of comparable size. Are we really going to make believe that this play no role in businesses deciding to come to Omaha and/or stay in Omaha?
As DTO mentioned, business get some pretty inviting tax incentives to come to Omaha.

As far as Colorado Springs, I've never been there. I have no idea what they get for the money spent.

Quote:
Link? I haven't seen it.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Link? I haven't seen it.
Bump. I'd actually like to discuss this.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Bump. I'd actually like to discuss this.
What can we do to hold the line on city government spending?

1. Change the way publicly-funded entities spend money.
It never ceases to amaze me how POORLY these publicly-funded entities manage their finances! There is NO private business that could operate that way. They spend money like drunken sailors because they know that, when the money runs out, they just demand more money via more taxes.

An Example:
- Why does Metro Community College start building a 16.3 million dollar Culinary Arts Building, then come back to the City, demanding more tax revenue? And this is in light of record enrollment - which itself brings in record money! This makes no sense! If you can't afford to build the building, while running your programs, don't build the building!

2. In Tough Times, You Cut Back. And you most certainly do not increase spending! Every family has to do this. Every private business has to do this. Why not publicly-funded entities? It doesn't mean the cut-backs are permanent. But they ARE necessary.

3. Spend public money on necessary infrastructure, but not on optional entertainment. We need paved streets. We need utilities. We need schools. But we do NOT need golf courses. We do NOT need The QWest Center, or The Holland Center, or a new Ballpark. So... While things like golf courses, civic centers, etc are really nice, they need to fund themselves. If they can't fund themselves, then so be it.
- User Fees should fund places like The QWest Center, etc. It should NOT come from public money.

4. Completely overhaul MAT. Do you EVER see more than 2-3 people on ANY of those lumbering giant buses? Do they EVER run on time? Does MAT provide good, clean, user-friendly service? And how many millions of taxpayer dollars are wasted on MAT every year?
- My sons live in Minneapolis. Their relatively new Light Rail System is actually making money - turning a profit. Their city buses are on time, and are usually at least half full - usually more.
- MAT is a horribly run public entity because it is allowed to be.

That's a start. I'll rant more later, but right now I need to get ready for a meeting - a meeting I'll go to in my own vehicle, having bought my own gas for that vehicle.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
What can we do to hold the line on city government spending?
An Example:
- Why does Metro Community College start building a 16.3 million dollar Culinary Arts Building, then come back to the City, demanding more tax revenue? And this is in light of record enrollment - which itself brings in record money! This makes no sense! If you can't afford to build the building, while running your programs, don't build the building!
This is a project that was announced back in early 2006 and from what I've read, a very big requirement for the school's curriculum.

Quote:
2. In Tough Times, You Cut Back. And you most certainly do not increase spending! Every family has to do this. Every private business has to do this. Why not publicly-funded entities? It doesn't mean the cut-backs are permanent. But they ARE necessary.
But they have cut back. What more cuts could you possibly want?

Quote:
3. Spend public money on necessary infrastructure, but not on optional entertainment. We need paved streets. We need utilities. We need schools. But we do NOT need golf courses. We do NOT need The QWest Center, or The Holland Center, or a new Ballpark. So... While things like golf courses, civic centers, etc are really nice, they need to fund themselves. If they can't fund themselves, then so be it.
- User Fees should fund places like The QWest Center, etc. It should NOT come from public money.
Nice idea, in theory. In the real world it just don't work that way and for a variety of reasons. Did you know most major sport stadiums and arenas are owned by their respective city?

And for what it's worth, I personally don't mind paying taxes to get those things. They are GREAT additions to this city.

Quote:
4. Completely overhaul MAT. Do you EVER see more than 2-3 people on ANY of those lumbering giant buses? Do they EVER run on time? Does MAT provide good, clean, user-friendly service? And how many millions of taxpayer dollars are wasted on MAT every year?
- My sons live in Minneapolis. Their relatively new Light Rail System is actually making money - turning a profit. Their city buses are on time, and are usually at least half full - usually more.
- MAT is a horribly run public entity because it is allowed to be.
Agree completely there.

Quote:
That's a start. I'll rant more later, but right now I need to get ready for a meeting - a meeting I'll go to in my own vehicle, having bought my own gas for that vehicle.
Should have worked for the city.

I kid. I kid.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:07 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,720 times
There is no reason for anyone to complain about paying for the Qwest Center. There was a citywide bond vote in 2000 to ask the people of the city if THEY wanted to pay for it. The votes said yes.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
There is no reason for anyone to complain about paying for the Qwest Center. There was a citywide bond vote in 2000 to ask the people of the city if THEY wanted to pay for it. The votes said yes.
That's actually not true.

The sale of QWest Center BONDS was approved by voters in 2000. It was NOT going to be paid for by Property Taxes. Voters were told that the building of the QWest Center would NOT increase property taxes.

Everything about the funding of the QWest Center is crap - outright fraud and lies. THIS is a perfect example of the outright lies public officials slip by taxpayers. This is a PERFECT example of why Fahey had to slip the approval of the new ballpark through without it going to a public vote. He KNEW that the people of Omaha are sick of this crap.

And THIS is a PERFECT example of why there was a serious push to have Fahey recalled and thrown out of office. Had Fahey still been in office when these new tax increases were proposed, there is no doubt he would be in the process of being thrown out of office right now.

The whole point is that Omaha taxpayers were told that Property Taxes would NOT be used to fund the QWest Center. Then, after its building was completed, the Administration simply changed its mind. In addition, the QWest Center COULD pay its own way! So why are we, the taxpayers, being pegged to foot the bill?

Should Property Taxes Cover Qwest Debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha