Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,458 times

Advertisements

Update: Satellite Dish Owners Targeted in Budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
I love this line:

"It’s not a tax, but an inspection fee to check satellite dishes."

What a bunch of lying manure-slingers!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Why does the City even have a role in inspecting a dish???? Its not a public interest or public safety issue - can't they just stay out of it?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 PM

704 posts, read 1,871,391 times
I'm not one that typically get's mad about proposed ordinances. But this is completely ridiculous. I wonder if this councilman got dinged in the head by a satellite dish...

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I'm not one that typically get's mad about proposed ordinances. But this is completely ridiculous. I wonder if this councilman got dinged in the head by a satellite dish...

Not YET.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,458 times
I am wondering if cox cable is involved in this

BTW: maybe we should tax cox cable of omaha

for allowing channels 13 or 20 or 61 to never be used

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM

5 posts, read 4,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
I am wondering if cox cable is involved in this

BTW: maybe we should tax cox cable of omaha

for allowing channels 13 or 20 or 61 to never be used

I'm guessing there's a good chance they're at least giving input.

But what do you mean about "not allowing" channels to be used? So what if they don't want to broadcast on 'em?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 PM

325 posts, read 962,585 times
Have they taken into consideration the money they will need to pay the attorney's to fight the 2 Sat companies that will sue their butts off? How about the money they will pay when they lose?

This councilman, Chris Jerram might be the stupidest man in Omaha, followed closely by the guys he convinced to vote with him.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 4,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Have they taken into consideration the money they will need to pay the attorney's to fight the 2 Sat companies that will sue their butts off? How about the money they will pay when they lose?

This councilman, Chris Jerram might be the stupidest man in Omaha, followed closely by the guys he convinced to vote with him.

How so? Stupid "fees" are big money-makers for a city. I doubt Omaha is the first.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
This one is beyond me. I do not know for sure as I don't have satellite, but don't the customers actually own the dishes? Further, for those people who own their houses the city would be charging a mandatory inspection fee for a person connecting object A to object B, both objects owned by the person.

This will almost definitely be challenged by the satellite companies. And if not then some customer will challenge on the satellite companies' dime.

I am not completely sure the city has the authority to do this, or at least there is a colorable argument that they don't. First, what is the objective? They seem pretty unclear. Is it aesthetic reasons or safety reasons? Further, is there a rational basis (which would likely be the legal standard applied) between "inspecting" the satellites and how they look? They're pretty uniform in shape and size and where they're located are limited by availability of free space on the south side of the property. Nothing the inspector does can really do anything about the way it looks. And is the inspector more qualified than the installer in terms of safety? Further, do city inspectors come and inspect my Cox connection (which sucks)? I will guarantee this will end up in court, whether the plaintiff is successful is another question, but the city will spend quite a bit of money defending it. Who dreams this crap up?

I also find it interesting that the council asked Cox Cable for an estimate of satellites?! Really?? Why wouldn't they ask the companies that are actually in the business of providing satellite service? There is certainly something going on, and I'm not one who is big on conspiracy theories.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 09-03-2009 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: