Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suejoesioux View Post
how is millard and the millard west high school.....any opinions???
Millard West High School is where the metro area's ultra-rich kids (and the wannabes) go. It is a HUGE school. I believe there are 800+ students in each grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 AM

48 posts, read 103,637 times
I went to Skutt and grew up in Millard. You really dont need any pictures of it because you can just use Google to search for images of "suburban housing" or "strip mall" and you will see what it looks like. Skutt is an excellent school and I am still very close friends with many of my classmates from years ago. One thing that I would point out about the Millard area is that it is very white conservative. There is not much diversity in thought, race or culture. I did not go to school with a black person until I went to college - I am not kidding.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM

109 posts, read 257,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Milllard is a cookie-cutter suburb. Cookie-cutter malls, cookie-cutter chain restaurants, block after block after block of cookie-cutter houses that all look alike. You will find one stand-out feature about the Millard area: Arrogance.
That is not completely accurate, in Millard you get different kinds of cookie cutter houses, some from the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, and the 00's, so there is some differences.

I grew up in Millard and had a great childhood. Since High School I have lived near downtown, in midtown, and in South Omaha and thought these places were great. Now, my wife children and I live back in Millard (could not pass up the great deal on the house) and our Street is wonderful, our neighbors are great and it is the most ethnically diverse Street I have ever lived on. We have Indian, Chinese, Egyptian, Hispanic, African American, and yes, White people, within a block of our house. It all depends on the street where you live, but the demographics are true that the Millard area has more White people then the East part of Omaha.

I would rather live in a place where my neighbors are great and take pride in their community, which I believe you can find in any part of town. I think forums like these are helpful because you can talk to individual people about a specific community in which they live, instead of making broad generalizations about a part of town. For example, Millard is all white and boring and crime free, and North Omaha is crime ridden and dangerous, these statements are both generalizations and wrong.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,292 times
There are some older neighborhoods in millard that are great and look like some of the midtown neighborhoods. Unique houses and lots of trees. Unless you head far west Millard is kind of turning into an older area. The worst cookie cutter areas that you find are actually Papillion (west) and Northwest Omaha (non annexed subdivisions). The Bennington area is actually starting to get the cookie cutter style development too.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,119 times
Millard is nice. I would feel safe and secure if I lived there. UNLIKE North "O". I feel so sorry for the people on that side of town that are just trying to make a living and take care of their families all the while someone is getting shot on their front sidewalk as he walked by. So sad.....

Old 05-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
Millard is nice. I would feel safe and secure if I lived there. UNLIKE North "O". I feel so sorry for the people on that side of town that are just trying to make a living and take care of their families all the while someone is getting shot on their front sidewalk as he walked by. So sad.....
Is this a joke? Are you kidding? Really?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM

There are probably only about a dozen or so block long streets in Omaha that you couldn't pay me to walk down. But even then I would still drive down them without looking anyone in the eye. And probably drive faster than normal at night. . lol

Old 05-21-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
There are probably only about a dozen or so block long streets in Omaha that you couldn't pay me to walk down. But even then I would still drive down them without looking anyone in the eye. And probably drive faster than normal at night. . lol
There are small handful of specific streets, in North Omaha, that you don't drive through - or walk through - at night. The reason is because that's where the gangs hang out, and all the Millard people come to buy their drugs. That's just the way it is. So why go there?

Other than that, and the gang violence that occasionally spills out into other streets, there's not that much going on in North Omaha. A good friend of mine, who happens to be a Lutheran Pastor, lives on about 28th & Mary - right in what is "supposedly" a horrible neighborhood. They have no problems there. Good neighbors, and they love it.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant. Just a few gang streets, not even neighborhoods, just specific streets that you just don't go down unless you are doing something illegal.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM

119 posts, read 438,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARNYOU View Post
First, thank your Dad for not moving into the Downtown Omaha Area.

I grew up in Millard, I can say first hand that it is an All American Middle to Upper Class
Area. Crime rate is low, the area is clean if not cleaner than most area's of Omaha. Folks are hard working and take pride in themselves and homes and property, you will have no problem in the Millard Area.
I grew up in Millard and would not consider it as sparkly and perfect as you have above. You can't promise anyone they won't have any problems anywhere. It all depends on the crowd you run with and not being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And there are plenty of people that don't take pride in themselves or their homes and property.

That said, there really aren't any more concerns you should have about living in the area, other than the generalization by some that you are rich, white, stuckup, and racist because you live in Millard. There was not a *ton* of diversity in Millard schools when I was there, but I never witnessed any harrassment of minorities. The schools are big enough that a kid is likely to find some crowd to hang with unless you are truly unskilled socially!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha