Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 PM

482 posts, read 1,328,649 times

Advertisements

I think that the huskers win this one. Oklahomas o-line is pretty bad this year and suh & co. are going to eat bradford alive. GBR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,141,408 times
Well we will just have to see about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
I think that the huskers win this one. Oklahomas o-line is pretty bad this year and suh & co. are going to eat bradford alive. GBR!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:33 PM

18,193 posts, read 25,763,135 times
Getting on topic; Just a while ago I googled in Nebraska-Oklahoma football rivalries and a good one popped up at the top of the page. It is by Bleacher Report. Some real good reading on this one; the article refers to it as college football's forgotten great rivalry.

Well, between the two states it certainly isn't forgotten, that's for sure. I put this rivalry up with any in state or out of state football rivalry going, past OR present.

A rivalry isn't a rivalry until both teams become good. And where this rivalry became nationwide noteworthy was in 1971, and became known as college football's "Match Of The Century". It certainly was, with Nebraska prevailing at the end, 35-31. It was, and is one of the greatest college football games I've ever seen, and I've been watching football for 45 years steady. Chris Shenkel called the play by play, and former Oklahoma HOF coach Bud Wilkinson done the commentary.

I remember both of them stating during the game at different times, especially during the fourth quarter, that this game is turning into the "match of the century".

It certainly was!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-13-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 12:01 AM

Thanks for sharing and I am positive that the TV was on during that game at my house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGRObEtGXY4

Out of all the rivalry teams that Nebraska played when I was a kid the "Sooners" stick out in my mind the most... How ironic that I would end up moving here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Getting on topic; Just a while ago I googled in Nebraska-Oklahoma football rivalries and a good one popped up at the top of the page. It is by Bleacher Report. Some real good reading on this one; the article refers to it as college football's forgotten great rivalry.

Well, between the two states it certainly isn't forgotten, that's for sure. I put this rivalry up with any in state or out of state football rivalry going, past OR present.

A rivalry isn't a rivalry until both teams become good. And where this rivalry became nationwide noteworthy was in 1971, and became known as college football's "Match Of The Century". It certainly was, with Nebraska prevailing at the end, 35-31. It was, and is one of the greatest college football games I've ever seen, and I've been watching football for 45 years steady. Chris Shenkel called the play by play, and former Oklahoma HOF coach Bud Wilkinson done the commentary.

I remember both of them stating during the game at different times, especially during the fourth quarter, that this game is turning into the "match of the century".

It certainly was!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,976,453 times
I rarely watch college games. The NFL is where its at.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:41 PM

I just enjoy football...period. High School, College or Pro. I kind of became spoiled in SoCal with so many pro-teams to choose from. We lived right down the street from Anaheim Stadium and we would often go to Ram games before they moved to Missouri. We also had the Raiders, Chargers, and the 49'rs... Now I am back in a State that doesn't have a pro-team so College ball is just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I rarely watch college games. The NFL is where its at.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:42 PM

and by the way... the Nebraska/Texas game was awful...

Old 10-17-2009, 10:22 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,841,110 times
I always watch the Huskers but I take them one game at a time. We lost today against a darn good Texas Tech team. OU/NU is usually a fantastic game. It may be a real shootout this year although I don't think either team is going to be the best in either the North/South. Colorado and Texas proved the Big 12 is a toss up this year.

GL2

Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 AM

...and without OU's quarterback it really puts a damper on things. Actually they did quite well today against a very good Texas team as well. Did you happen to see Notre Dame and USC? Wow, what an ending??? It was an awesome game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I always watch the Huskers but I take them one game at a time. We lost today against a darn good Texas Tech team. OU/NU is usually a fantastic game. It may be a real shootout this year although I don't think either team is going to be the best in either the North/South. Colorado and Texas proved the Big 12 is a toss up this year.

GL2

Old 10-18-2009, 06:51 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,496,575 times
I have always liked and respected Nebraska's team. I remember back in the 70s, I always thought the greatest rivalry was between NU/OU, not OU/TX,

Then in the early 90s, I got to see NU first hand when they invaded Manhattan, KS. I mean literally, the whole section of town we called aggieville was covered in red when the fans came pouring in from up north.

That was back when NU had the biggest baddest O-line I had ever seen. Those big corn-fed boys could push a mountain!

And we have family who live up in Omaha, so I always keep track of their program. Don't worry, Raelyn, there are still plenty of die-hard NU fans out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha