U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM

99 posts, read 273,650 times

Advertisements

I need to know from people that know all three areas which area would best fit us.

Its just my wife and I, but we might adopt one day. We are in our late thirties, we dont care much about clubs or bars. Sports teams dont mean much to us either. But we do like the outdoors, the more water the better. We have a few dogs. I can either work as a retail manager or restaurant manager. Less humidity the better, rather have colder than warmer if possible. Cost of living and crime is also important. More hills the better also.

Thanks for your info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 43,626 times
First of all why are you moving and what's the reason you've narrowed it down to those 3 locations?
Your zip code indicates you're in Utah now.
Seems like from your discription of what you want in a place to live, you're already living there. jmo

Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,068,348 times
You'll want to live just north of Omaha - perhaps in the Ponca Hills area. It's right along the Missouri River, and is very hilly and wooded.

I, of course, am not objective in this matter because I live here. But I've gotta tell ya, we love it!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:51 PM

We live in Southern Utah which is only part of Utah because some people a long time ago decided to draw the line too far south. When most people think of Utah they think hills and great snow etc. but Southern Utah -look at a map of Saint George UT. Its really part Arizona part Nevada. It can get to 116 here. Ive have seen the red paint on the curb melt off, your lucky if you get more than a year out of your car battery because the heat tears it up. We live in an nice upper neighborhood were in our thirties our average neighbor is around 70. The city was one of the fastest growing cities in the US. The county population is around 150,000 with no big cities near by. So this year alone about 7 restaurants have closed including the one I managed and my wife got a ten percent pay cut also. We like how safe it is here-one murder maybe every other year. -but no work. And Tulsas cost of living is about 25% less than our city. I heard the people in those area are nice. We pretty much grew up in San Diego so we had our big city experience so were ready for smaller less expensive living. Are city relied on Medical, Construction, and Real Estate which two out of three of those industries in this city tanked. You should see how many unfinished houses there are here. This town is great if your LDS and retired.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,126,260 times
Good luck with your search. I've lived in both OKC and Omaha. They're similar in size but culturally very different, although both are friendly. On the level, I found Omaha to be more receptive to people from other parts of the country, and OKC to be more insular. Culturally, ethnically and politically, Omaha is similar to Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Paul, and Pittsburgh, whereas OKC is similar to Wichita, Ft. Worth, Little Rock, and Memphis. Also, Omaha is one of the hilliest cities in the U.S., and it has better cookies.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,824,590 times
we do have some dang good cookies! LOL..

Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,648,210 times
Since I have lived in both areas, I probably wouldn't choose either one. Why are you moving anyway? There are many places in the Midwest to pick that are not too hot nor too cold and has mountains/hills. Oklahoma and Nebraska can be very humid at certain times of the year and very hot also. Probably not as hot as what you are living in but still hot. There are hardly any hills Oklahoma from what I hear and Omaha has hills but nothing that is impressive (to me anyway).

Have you considered Bend Oregon? It is beautiful, sunny, not too hot, not too cold.. I would move there in a heartbeat. Also, there is a place here in Oklahoma on the way to Arkansas that people tell me is beautiful. I can't remember the name but could get back to you on that.

Good luck on your research. The more you ask and look the better you will be when you make your move. Not to be disrespectful or negative here but personally I would give anything to move back to the PNW.. I really miss it.

Since you don't like sports there is really no reason for you to move to this area when you don't have kids or anything... Just a thought. The two greatest things about Oklahoma is the sports and academics.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Thanks

The two main reasons we need to move is work and cost of living. Were originally from San Diego which you cant beat the weather but my wife would call me at 5pm and say she was leaving work she would call back at 5:30pm and say she hasnt made it onto the on ramp to the freeway yet which is only a mile from her work. The day we were moving out of San Diego to UT my son came out of the garage and said "where is my dirt bike" so someone stole his dirtbike. Oregan doesnt have enough jobs and cost of living is higher. Of course Tulsa and Omaha are not as hilly, green, and as nice as SanDiego but after living in Southern UT for almost five years anything feels greener. If you look at the Saint George City website they show a picture of green rolling hills and mountains in the back ground-but they tricked me because that picture is overlooking the golf course. The first year we moved here almost every day when I drove up to my house and started to step out there would be a scorpian waiting for me. We live in a real nice established neighborhood surrounded by million dollar homes. the city attorney lives next door to me and an ex-pro baseball player lives on the other side of me..but without work it doesnt matter how nice it is. This area is great if your retired and Mormon. Plus I have read that Tulsa is business friendly and I might open my own business someday.

Even though your still being pretty negative at the start of your last post, I can tell your just trying to help..Im surprised your trying to help me when I was the one that told you that you have anger issues and cant really relax...remember were all going to die one day so does it really matter what happens..When we first moved here to UT my wife freaked out about the heat, red mountains, scorpians, bugs, etc etc but after about a year she said to me one day"i didnt realize how pretty the mountains were and thank you for getting my A/C fixed" so hopefully you to will feel the same about Tulsa.

I used to always say to my employees"life isnt always constant, enjoy the good times while you can because they will eventually change, we might get a new owner that makes work not as fun as it has been for all these years or the place might go out of business, you might have to move to another area that wasnt as great as the one your in for some reason.

If you had to move because your husband had to relocate for employment reasons-trust me he feels bad about it-but he has to do what it takes to take care of his family, so each time you complain about something, the more your spouse is going to feel bad about the situation. I am always telling my wife that I am sorry i dont make enough so that she doesnt have to work. And when she comes home and says" i hate work" or " i hate this place" it just kills me...But what can I do?? I am hoping that I can make enough in Tulsa that she doesnt have to work or only works part time.

I thought you were done posting...I knew you were still at least reading what was on here...your funny

Old 11-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Default another thing

your funny you said -there are places in the midwest that have more hills and better places to live and not as hot..but then the city that you suggested isnt in the midwest. Trust me I dont sleep and I have researched everywhere from Tulsa to Spokane to Dallas to Japan and back. OR was one of the first places my wife mentioned but again I cant afford to live there unless I get a good GM or Area Manager position.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,648,210 times
I wasn't mad at you just frustrated with some of the people on the Tulsa forum. There were many things going on long before you came to the forum. I just decided to not post on that particular forum anymore for awhile. Maybe I do seem sort of rude or blunt to some people but if you knew me you would know that I don't mean to be rude and I am really one of the most sensitive people you would ever meet. I just say it like it is and I guess I need to be careful when posting. I have actually been doing private messages so that I don't offend people. Basically I have come to realize that everyone needs to make the most out of where they live no matter where that is. I guess we all need to be thankful for having jobs and a roof over our head right now.

I completely understand your situation with the economy and the job market. That is why we moved from Washington to Tulsa. There were not any jobs in Spokane and my husband is in general/District Management as well so I kind of know what you are saying.

Omaha would be an inexpensive place to live...for me it is hard living in the midwest after the west coast because I am a visual person. My favorite places are the ocean and the mountains and this part of the country doesn't have either. I guess it wouldn't matter if you don't like those things though and some people could care less.

I do enjoy living where one can afford to live. The west coast especially California is so expensive and crowded. I guess it is a trade-off. I am just so glad that I have had the opportunity to experience different places.

Anyway, good luck in your relocation. Did you decide against Tulsa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingsucks View Post
The two main reasons we need to move is work and cost of living. Were originally from San Diego which you cant beat the weather but my wife would call me at 5pm and say she was leaving work she would call back at 5:30pm and say she hasnt made it onto the on ramp to the freeway yet which is only a mile from her work. The day we were moving out of San Diego to UT my son came out of the garage and said "where is my dirt bike" so someone stole his dirtbike. Oregan doesnt have enough jobs and cost of living is higher. Of course Tulsa and Omaha are not as hilly, green, and as nice as SanDiego but after living in Southern UT for almost five years anything feels greener. If you look at the Saint George City website they show a picture of green rolling hills and mountains in the back ground-but they tricked me because that picture is overlooking the golf course. The first year we moved here almost every day when I drove up to my house and started to step out there would be a scorpian waiting for me. We live in a real nice established neighborhood surrounded by million dollar homes. the city attorney lives next door to me and an ex-pro baseball player lives on the other side of me..but without work it doesnt matter how nice it is. This area is great if your retired and Mormon. Plus I have read that Tulsa is business friendly and I might open my own business someday.

Even though your still being pretty negative at the start of your last post, I can tell your just trying to help..Im surprised your trying to help me when I was the one that told you that you have anger issues and cant really relax...remember were all going to die one day so does it really matter what happens..When we first moved here to UT my wife freaked out about the heat, red mountains, scorpians, bugs, etc etc but after about a year she said to me one day"i didnt realize how pretty the mountains were and thank you for getting my A/C fixed" so hopefully you to will feel the same about Tulsa.

I used to always say to my employees"life isnt always constant, enjoy the good times while you can because they will eventually change, we might get a new owner that makes work not as fun as it has been for all these years or the place might go out of business, you might have to move to another area that wasnt as great as the one your in for some reason.

If you had to move because your husband had to relocate for employment reasons-trust me he feels bad about it-but he has to do what it takes to take care of his family, so each time you complain about something, the more your spouse is going to feel bad about the situation. I am always telling my wife that I am sorry i dont make enough so that she doesnt have to work. And when she comes home and says" i hate work" or " i hate this place" it just kills me...But what can I do?? I am hoping that I can make enough in Tulsa that she doesnt have to work or only works part time.

I thought you were done posting...I knew you were still at least reading what was on here...your funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or