U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 PM

3,284 posts, read 2,855,905 times

Advertisements

Vista, since you seem hell bent on destroying any future career employment opportunities by bouncing from job to job, at least by living with an 84 year old man you can add working at a retirement home to your list of potential part time jobs.

I'm guessing you change a mean diaper by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 PM

494 posts, read 910,051 times
Oh, great. Vagabond Vistas....

I'm a former Omahan who lives in Albuquerque and notice you posting in the Albuquerque forums all the time (often talking about how you can't wait to get out of Omaha and move to ABQ). Please, don't move to Albuquerque. Don't stay in Omaha, either. I think you're best off moving back to the east coast based on your attitude.

I'll tell you straight-up, Albuquerque is a great place to live for many reasons, but you certainly won't find it more cosmopolitan than Omaha (no matter how you define the word). Omaha has alot of advantages - schools are stronger than ABQ, downtown redevelopment efforts are further along, and the food scene is amazing for a city its size (though very different from ABQ's). The economy is better in Omaha than pretty much anywhere for the time being. Omaha may not be for everyone, but it is far from the place you make it out to be - and the thing is, on the whole it's actually somewhat similar to ABQ. Point being, I think you've got a strong case of the "grass is greener" syndrome.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:24 PM

I strongly recommend you listen to Burquebinder. =-)

Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,648,117 times
Vagabond,

Did you even read my post??

I said we have "pride"...not "husker pride." If you don't know what pride is then you are pathetic.

Further, you simply ignored 98% of my post, particularly the section where I made it pretty clear that we do have a lot more than just football and that we in no way lack in intelligence.

So, again, where did you get your Ph.D. in physics and your law degree? I am assuming you have them. I mean...I live in Omaha and have them, so clearly someone as worldly and cosmopolitan as yourself would have them. And when you spoke at Cambridge University and had dinner with a few Nobel Prize winners, what did you discuss? I was just curious. Please, explain to me how you are more worldly than I am. Explain to me how I don't have more going on in my life than Husker football. Please explain to me how you derive a sense of superiority just because you've bounced around a few places, have no real education, are in your mid-40s, and living with an 84 year old?

This makes you superior to me because I'm happily married and live in the midwest??

Good god you're a joke. Your a petty little person who hates his lot in life and the only way you can justify your miserable little existence is by blaming everyone else for your problems. You may think you're a deep intellectual person, but I promise you...you are not. Being an intellectual is NOT about your lifestyle. There are conservative intellects, liberal intellects, Christian intellects, athiest intellects, fat intellects, skinny intellects, black intellects and white intellects. That fact that you've lived in several places has NOTHING to do with your intellect or your intellectual contribution to society. Just because you think you're intellectual does not make it so. Going down to the corner starbuck and listening to pre-canned music and reading the newspaper does not make you an intellect. Riding the subway does not make you an intellect. Living in the downtown area of a city does not make you an intellect. Your ability to rationalize is about at the level of a 12 year old. The problem is you're so filled with so much angst that instead of internalizing your problems you deduce that its everyone around you that's the problem. At some point you have to recognize that the problem is staring you in the mirror. Again, grow up.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 12-01-2009 at 01:08 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 AM

103 posts, read 210,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Vista, since you seem hell bent on destroying any future career employment opportunities by bouncing from job to job, at least by living with an 84 year old man you can add working at a retirement home to your list of potential part time jobs.

I'm guessing you change a mean diaper by now.
I figured someone like you, from this part of the country, would make the comment you made above. Only a cornhusker could make such a sad statement.

Takes a very small townie, unworldly person to act as you did, and there are many around here like you.

I'm opening my own business after I leave here. And, Nebraskans need not apply, nor will I accept as clients from any Nebraskans if they find themselves able to live elsewhere.

Your comment about changing diapers is so rude. But, I'm not surprised coming from a person from Nebraska, from Corn Husker country.

You people here make Minnesotans look really good - especially those even from the small towns.

This time, I have no further comments to post on your pitiful, uneducated Omaha site. You shouldn't disparage your neighbors to the east - the Iowans - too much. You run a close first.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Vistas View Post

I'm opening my own business after I leave here. And, Nebraskans need not apply, nor will I accept as clients from any Nebraskans if they find themselves able to live elsewhere.
So what MBA program tought you the old "refusal of business from paying customers" strategy?

Let me know if you are searching for angel investors, I've always wanted to invest in risky business plans such as yours.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:13 AM

103 posts, read 210,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Oh, great. Vagabond Vistas....

I'm a former Omahan who lives in Albuquerque and notice you posting in the Albuquerque forums all the time (often talking about how you can't wait to get out of Omaha and move to ABQ). Please, don't move to Albuquerque. Don't stay in Omaha, either. I think you're best off moving back to the east coast based on your attitude.

I'll tell you straight-up, Albuquerque is a great place to live for many reasons, but you certainly won't find it more cosmopolitan than Omaha (no matter how you define the word). Omaha has alot of advantages - schools are stronger than ABQ, downtown redevelopment efforts are further along, and the food scene is amazing for a city its size (though very different from ABQ's). The economy is better in Omaha than pretty much anywhere for the time being. Omaha may not be for everyone, but it is far from the place you make it out to be - and the thing is, on the whole it's actually somewhat similar to ABQ. Point being, I think you've got a strong case of the "grass is greener" syndrome.
I lived in Albuquerque just recently, for 20 months. My former roommate wanted me to stay, take off a few months, and get a job again, since my last one there was drying up due to the owner downsizing her business. And, I should have. I had thousands of dollars in the bank. I know what to expect. I'm not looking for cosmopolitan cities. I just would rather live around people who are not so stuck on their insular minded customs and mannerisms. There are many aspects to Albuquerque that I appreciated, and miss. Perhaps you don't appreciate Albuquerque as much since you are from Omaha. Perhaps you can't leave Albuquerque. But, I have good friends there, I have nice contacts, and people who are anxiously waiting my return, to continue where we left off, only a few months back. Certainly isn't like in Minnesota, where I lived for 13 years, and even today, people I knew have said, "oh, we'll be busy on the day you come up." Such a typical comment for people from this area; so passive-aggressive, but something I don't hear from those I left behind in ABQ.
I know how to make some areas work, but Omaha has a very stifling culture (much like Minnesota) and the weather is terrible, there is nothing to do for outside activities, and those things are important to me, too. I'm not interested in culture as you describe it - food scene - I could care less. Downtown development - I'm not interested in that, and when it happens, it does. Perhaps that is what your are missing, but it is not the reason I'm returning. I don't have the greener grass syndrome; read my line: the grass isn't greener; it's just different grass."

And, I wouldn't compare the people of Omaha, and Omaha, itself, to that of the people of Albuquerque. But, perhaps you are thinking that because you want it to be like your Omaha, which maybe you can't return to. When I lived in Albuquerque, I saw a real difference between the people of there from the Midwest - for one thing, there are a lot of transplants in ABQ, and you will not find that in the heartland, which I found, for many years, to be too white, too narrow-minded, and very passive-aggressive and fake nice.

Your people of Omaha don't make it a nice place to live, much like Minnesota can be. Minneapolis has a lot to offer - I know I lived there for 13 years - but it, too, can be a very insular, friendless place if you weren't born there or didn't marry into the culture.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post

So, again, where did you get your Ph.D. in physics and your law degree? I am assuming you have them. I mean...I live in Omaha and have them, so clearly someone as worldly and cosmopolitan as yourself would have them.
Matt, clearly it was a MBA she received.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
and you will not find that in the heartland, which I found, for many years, to be too white, too narrow-minded, and very passive-aggressive and fake nice.
Would you find it racist if I had said I didn't like Albuquerque because I found it "too brown"?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:37 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,123,754 times
Quote:
Wilmington, Delaware: 1963 - 1981
Richmond VA:1981 to 1986; 1989 to 1993
Arlington VA: 1986-1989
Graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University. B.A. Psych; Minor: History - May 1993 (Did you graduate from college? Where? When? Major? Minor?)
Minnesota: September 1994 - December 2007. Do you want the addresses of my former landlords? Do you want the phone number of Pete who I've known since I lived in his house when I arrived in 1994?
Omaha - September 2009 - nearly three months too long.
My housemate, where I rented a room, is an 84 year old man. Sorry, I'm not the home grown Midwesterner you are who marries young, has kids young, and live happily ever after with your friend from grade school.

Seasonal employment: at least I'm industrious and not sitting around drinking all day, living on EBT.

Your posts and your fellow Omahans with their posts are clearly indicative of your lack of intelligence, lack of worldliness, and narrow mindedness when it comes to looking beyond the boundaries of your little heartland areas. You are from a small town in Southern Minnesota and Omaha is the big city to you. I will give you the latitude due to your small town, small world existence background, and most likely your lack of of advanced education to see things as they are around you.

When you visit other states outside of your beloved Midwest borders and actually sit down in your home with people from other countries - far away countries, not Canada - then perhaps you will have intelligent comments to make. Until then
Have a nice day and holiday.

As you were busy making stuff up, you missed December 2007 to September 2009.

And just to clarify... I'm not from SW Minnesota. I have extended family who grew up in Worthington. I have immediate family living in Minneapolis.

Regarding education... I have a terminal degree, along with the necessary degrees prerequisite to it. I also have almost 24 years of professional experience in the same career field.

That said, I do hope you continue posting here. Your blithering is very entertaining. On the other hand I'm a bit conflicted, because I honestly believe you are an imbalanced person. And I really don't like laughing at the mentally challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or