Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 20,227 times

Advertisements

But they are predatory- having to pay a towing "company" to retrieve a car that was stolen from a tow company is ridiculous. If a private individual had possession of it they would be in jail for possession of stolen property. Not a towing company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyonetoo View Post
But they are predatory- having to pay a towing "company" to retrieve a car that was stolen from a tow company is ridiculous. If a private individual had possession of it they would be in jail for possession of stolen property. Not a towing company.
Don't plop your car where it should not be and it will not be removed from the property. Towing a car that is in violation of parking laws, or parked on private property is not theft. Watch an episode or two of parking wars, you'll see a bunch of fools blaming others for THEIR failure to obey the laws.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM

76 posts, read 142,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Don't plop your car where it should not be and it will not be removed from the property. Towing a car that is in violation of parking laws, or parked on private property is not theft. Watch an episode or two of parking wars, you'll see a bunch of fools blaming others for THEIR failure to obey the laws.
Parking Wars is a great show. It always amazes me how people can get so upset with other people for doing their jobs and not take responsibility for their actions that put them in that situation to begin with.

You don't want to get a ticket for an expired meter, make sure you put enough coin in and keep track of your time. Don't want to get towed, don't park where you're not supposed to. Don't want to get a boot on your car, pay your tickets.

Yes, there will sometimes be a situation where something isn't marked correctly or there some other mistake. Arguing with the ticketing officer won't generally fix that. Take pictures, and go fight the ticket.

Same goes for people who don't pay for their vehicles and get them repossessed. Don't get mad at the repossessor, pay your damn bills!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM

76 posts, read 142,391 times
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. It's not stealing. Tow companies serve a purpose and are completely legal. Some may price gouge, but generally, the act of towing your car is not stealing.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM

We did not park illegally. The car was stolen from us. We had to pay a tow company for our stolen vehicle. UNDERSTAND NOW PEOPLE?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
While I would usually agree, there is alot of shadiness with towing companies. They're like the debt collection industry.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
How is your reading level? The car was stolen a few weeks ago and we got notified that it was "recovered" - and we had to pay the tow company. If you had possession of my stolen vehicle do you think you would have been arrested? I do. So if this towing company has my car why do I have to pay them? They are in possession of stolen property.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
Don't be ridiculous. It's not stealing. Tow companies serve a purpose and are completely legal. Some may price gouge, but generally, the act of towing your car is not stealing.
Oh bull hockey - and price gouging IS stealing too......

Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times
Quote:
How is your reading level? The car was stolen a few weeks ago and we got notified that it was "recovered" - and we had to pay the tow company. If you had possession of my stolen vehicle do you think you would have been arrested? I do. So if this towing company has my car why do I have to pay them? They are in possession of stolen property.
Then in the future I'd recommend making your point clearer. Your post made it sound like YOU parked your car illegally and were acting like a big baby by calling the towing company a thief. With such a poorly constructed sentence, confusion was a guarantee!

As for why, quite simply they had to tow your vehicle (from what little I could pull from your drivel). As the owner YOU are responsible for the towing companies expenses even if you were not the driver. The law is quite clear on that. You may not like it, but tough, that's just part of the agreement you were OK with when you got your drivers license. Now you are free to sue the people that stole your car to recover the tow cost.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Then in the future I'd recommend making your point clearer. Your post made it sound like YOU parked your car illegally and were acting like a big baby by calling the towing company a thief. With such a poorly constructed sentence, confusion was a guarantee!

As for why, quite simply they had to tow your vehicle (from what little I could pull from your drivel). As the owner YOU are responsible for the towing companies expenses even if you were not the driver. The law is quite clear on that. You may not like it, but tough, that's just part of the agreement you were OK with when you got your drivers license. Now you are free to sue the people that stole your car to recover the tow cost.
I don't see why. How do I know they didn't use a master key to move it and they charge us for towing. They may be the ones who stole it. A master key was used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha