U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,422 times

Advertisements

No one ever seems to acknowledge the fact that 100+ people will be forced from their homes if we wish to keep the CWS in Rosenblatt. Then there will be destruction and construction costs on top of that, In my honest opinion most of the people who want to keep it in Rosenblatt are only looking at the short term and not realizing that in the long run it will screw more people over.

Also driving and parking anywhere near Roseblatt is just as much a hassle as it would be anywhere else, not to mention that by moving the CWS there will also be a probable increase in profits for the Zoo as well. I have yet to see a truely valid reason as too why we shouldn't move it. Sure maybe it's cheaper but it will force people out of their homes if we keep the CWS and I'm sure the city isn't going to pay for new homes for over 100 people. Heritage maybe. People need to be willing for change, without it things will never get better than what they are now. If that is okay with most of you than this state is way too conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM

474 posts, read 775,452 times
I am very much for the new stadium. These save the blatt people are probably the same ones that were going crazy when the city first proposed the qwest center. We all know how horrible the qwest turned out

Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 3,467,059 times
I am for it too and it looks like I might be footing some of this bill when I come to Omaha for a weekend, by paying extra hotel tax. I hope that next weekends NCAA basketball tourney games provide a gentle reminder of the economic boon these events can bring, and how stupid it would be to lose the CWS.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 11,026 times
Default time standing still?

Until time stands still, there is a natural reality that things must change. There is an over-riding economic and social reality that a place keep up with the trends of the country in which it is located. If not, you will not be keyed into any economic benefit that other regions of the country might be willing to share/spread into the "heartland". Omaha needs to look where the money is and do what it can to "connect". That way, all citizens will be in a better position to continue to earn a livelihood in their home city. THIS MUST HAPPEN, as organizations with "green" will look upon the place much more favorably with respect to future investment.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 PM

843 posts, read 772,742 times
Default Do you support the stadium?

If so, click here and let others know...

FOUND Statement of Support (http://www.ourfound.com/statement-of-support/ - broken link)

Old 03-23-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
Default New Ballpark

I think the people who say building a new downtown stadium won't help attendance at Royals games aren't looking at the whole picture. The big problem with Rosenblatt is accessibility. Being near a freeway doesn't necessarily make someplace "accessible". I grew up in Omaha and probably went to 15-20 games in 20+ years. I always enjoyed the games, but it was a hassle to get there, park, eat, etc. I now live in a city (Sacramento) with a downtown ballpark. It's within walking distance of several bars and restaurants, and close to a lot of offices. I've had meetings downtown and decided to stay late to catch an evening game. Grab a bite to eat at a restaurant or a beer at happy hour and wander on over to Raley Field for a couple innings. Rosenblatt doesn't fit in with an "impulse buy" that a downtown facility would have. A downtown stadium could also work as a multi-use facility. I just checked the calendar for Raley Field and I see 2 concerts (Dave Matthews and Skynyrd), a brew-fest, a jazz/rib fest and an all-day concert series. I could see something like that working in Omaha. The weather isn't as conducive to outdoor events as Northern California, but a venue near the river and everything else downtown could drive revenue not only for the ballpark, but for surrounding businesses the city (sales taxes). How much money is generated around Rosenblatt 50 weeks out of the year? How many actual restaurants are around there? You don't currently go to dinner and a Royals game on a warm summer night. You might be more tempted to do that if they played near Quest.

Just my $0.02, but I recently bought a condo in Omaha and am really looking forward to spending more time there. I would definitely go to some Royals games if the stadium is downtown. Not too likely if they're still at the Blatt.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 19,328 times
Default Stadium

If we get the new stadium it would pretty much kill the Omaha Royals. The Royals have said that they prefer the Rosenblatt because they like having the field smaller and less people in the stands. They are about fun and excitement not tons of people. But they did say if we did get the new stadium they'll stay but they do not prefer it. Also people will not want to park downtown to see an Omaha Royals game and go through much more trouble...At least most people.

Stay at Rosenblatt or get rid of the CWS.

Those are the best 2 options.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
I'm actually surprised the Royals are still in Omaha. The Sacramento Rivercats (with a much smaller stadium; actually about the size the Royals seem to want) draw 700,000+ a season. I don't remember seeing more than 500-600 at any given game the Royals were playing, but I heard 2007 was a record year (@ 350,000). There are plenty of people in the stands and the games are a lot of fun. Possibly because it's a cozier environment. Would the same number of people look lost in a bigger ballpark? Maybe. That said, I'm coming back for the CWS this year, but I won't be making any special trips to watch the Royals at Rosenblatt.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:50 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,484,211 times
A stadium downtown is more logical than where it is right now (near the Omaha Zoo). The downtown stadium would be closor to hotels, restaurants, and additional entertainment options along with the airport. The Rosenblatt Stadium site would be a good area for the Omaha Zoo to expand without having to pluck homes out.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:49 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,795,245 times
No, the Royals DID NOT say they prefer Rosenblatt. The Royals were the ones who initially starting lobbying for a new ball park a few years back. They wanted a smaller more intimate park, but it wasn't because they wanted smaller crowds. It was because they new they could only draw small crowds and they wanted to limit the vacuous feeling which occurs when 1000 people go to a park that holds 25,000. Plus, Rosenblatt is not a small stadium. I'm not sure about the exact #'s, but the new stadium's capacity will be along the same lines as what Rosenblatt held. Granted, the downtown park will not be small, but it'll be a brand new park in an entertainment district. People attend minor league games for entertainment...not because they have an interest in the team(s). Being downtown will allow the royals to become an entertainment option for those looking for a night on the town. The royals are simply going to have to take it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha