U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 PM

827 posts, read 711,613 times
Default Downtown

I agree that city isn't going to build the stadium without a commitment from the NCAA. Everything that I hear seems to confirm this.

I'll tell you what I find interesting is all the people that are missing out in this city because they never go downtown. I would ask, why not? I go out there at least every couple of weeks when the weather is nice and even a couple of times in the winter. They have great restaraunts and bars and its interesting to walk around, look at the buildings and architecture and to take it all in. The pedestrian bridge will be a nice addition and should tie the whole thing together. A stadium downtown will be fantastic especially with views of the bridge from the outfield (depending on where they build it). Those that avoid downtown are truly missing out on one of the most interesting and fun things going on this state. The Qwest Center has turned our little town into one of the top places in the country to see a concert - and to think of all those people that said it was a waste money and we'd never get big acts. Omaha is a unique, vibrant and exciting place to be and it all centers around downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,874,707 times
Default i say..

BUILD IT!!

It would end up costing more money economically to lose the CWS than it would to build the new stadium and retain it!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 AM

1,823 posts, read 3,315,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
BUILD IT!!

It would end up costing more money economically to lose the CWS than it would to build the new stadium and retain it!
Bingo

Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 PM

30 posts, read 47,117 times
whether they renovate the old stadium or build a new one, i think the cws is going to stay in omaha. however if they decide to renovate now, it will only be another 5 to 10 years before this subject is brought back and we wasted all that money on renovations. our zoo needs the space anyways if it wants to stay one of, if not the top zoo in the nation. face it, rosenblatt is no fenway or wrigley. it needs to come down.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 AM

Anyone else starting to wonder if the city is going to mess this thing up? Sounds like if they choose the parking lots MECA is going to sue, which if this goes to the courts I don't see the NCAA giving an extenstion on the deadline because its in court. Whatever happened to the Civic idea anyway?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM

1,362 posts, read 2,990,490 times
The Civic site was deemed to small for what the NCAA wants in a new stadium, fan zone, and clean zone.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:53 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,940,138 times
It would be hard to see Rosenblatt go, but the zoo needs the space and a new stadium downtown would be great for omahas economy and we do need the CWS for as long as possible. It's so hard to pick a side. uhhhhhh!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:04 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,720,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Anyone else starting to wonder if the city is going to mess this thing up? Sounds like if they choose the parking lots MECA is going to sue, which if this goes to the courts I don't see the NCAA giving an extenstion on the deadline because its in court. Whatever happened to the Civic idea anyway?

This will work itself out with the city building the stadium and MECA taking control of it, just like with the Qwest. This is all a negotion tactic at this pooint. They will come together, the city will get the stadium, and MECA will expand its portfolio of properties. They will then make a joint presentation to the NCAA so it clearly demonstrates that they kissed and made up.

The only kicker in my scenario would be if in the joint presentation, Fahey represented the city and Daub represented MECA - they could go into the meeting together - well maybe that won't happen afterall.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 18,634 times
Smile Some info...

Ok, for those of you wanting Rosenblatt down for the zoo to expand needs to know that the zoo does not want the land. They have made an excuse and said they can not afford it. LOL..So the land will not go the the zoo.

The bad thing about the Rosenblatt is that there is no parking at all. Many people have to just park in random peoples driveways that they don't even know. Also we keep on repairing the Rosenblatt so much that it is costing so much.

Also, we do not need a stadium downtown. The traffic is bad enough and we don't need people driving around lost on the other side of town. No one in the city should have to pay for a whole new stadium?

No one should have to pay because most don't even care about baseball here. Most of Nebraska doesn't watch baseball at all and we have like no real team. Nebraska is a football state, we are not a baseball state. Maybe if we had a real pro baseball team then we would benifit with a new stadium, but since we have no real games we should just forget everything.

It would not hurt most of us if the College World Series would just get out of Omaha. The World Series doesn't help Omaha with how much we actually put into it.

Just what I think.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyman View Post
Ok, for those of you wanting Rosenblatt down for the zoo to expand needs to know that the zoo does not want the land. They have made an excuse and said they can not afford it. LOL..So the land will not go the the zoo.

The bad thing about the Rosenblatt is that there is no parking at all. Many people have to just park in random peoples driveways that they don't even know. Also we keep on repairing the Rosenblatt so much that it is costing so much.

Also, we do not need a stadium downtown. The traffic is bad enough and we don't need people driving around lost on the other side of town. No one in the city should have to pay for a whole new stadium?

No one should have to pay because most don't even care about baseball here. Most of Nebraska doesn't watch baseball at all and we have like no real team. Nebraska is a football state, we are not a baseball state. Maybe if we had a real pro baseball team then we would benifit with a new stadium, but since we have no real games we should just forget everything.

It would not hurt most of us if the College World Series would just get out of Omaha. The World Series doesn't help Omaha with how much we actually put into it.

Just what I think.
I have a feeling you are going to be in the minority, with your thinking We may not be a baseball state, but people are very passionate for the CWS and the economic impact it brings to Omaha is significant. If Omaha didn't make money on the deal, I'm sure we wouldn't be having this discussion about stadiums and that other cities wouldn't be interested in taking the CWS from Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha