Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,544,498 times

Advertisements

since we have been bringing up that some in the media here in omaha are a joke

who are the best and worst local newscasters

or newspaper reporters or columnists

in the omaha area.

and why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:39 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Channel 3 has to be at the bottom of any list - they are pure tabloid - wouldn't trust their "spin" on any story they present.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:11 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,544,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Channel 3 has to be at the bottom of any list - they are pure tabloid - wouldn't trust their "spin" on any story they present.

well, when you got Ryan McPike and Travis Justice what do you expect from channel 3

at least despite channel 6 being funny for all the wrong reasons at times (Sidlecki and Maddoux)

has Mike McKnight and Jim Flowers and Ross Jernstrom and Merlyn Klaus

who are all good reporters IMO

as for the Omaha world herald:

Mike Kelly is good as is Janice Gilmore and Kevin Cole and Tom Shaw and Christopher Burbach

Old 11-15-2009, 04:56 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Even if you pulled McPike and Justice out of the picture, Channel 3 would still be at the bottom. Its just their whole culture of tabloid, it impacts everything they do. With them consistently at the bottom of rankings you would hope they would one day wake up and understand doing the same thing (tabloid) over and over never produces new results, just more of the same low ratings.

I actually have so little respect for them I actually removed them from my channel lineup so that when I flip channels with my remote it just bypasses them.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
I think the ratings for the news channels goes
7 and 6 fight for first with 7 usually holding the lead

long drop down too 3rd with channel 3 its kptm 42 at a distant last

Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
You know, it didn't even occur to me that KMTV (aka Channel Third) was tabloid like until Dave mentioned it, but now looking at their newscasts I can definitely see what he means. They do seem very tabloid-ish. I absolutely hate Dave Roberts. The guy tries to be a hard hitting journalist but he's just a moron. I have a feeling that if he ever interviewed me it would end with me kicking his ass.

It's sad to see how KMTV has fallen from the mid to late 90's. I actually liked them alot when they had Trina Creighton, Loretta Carol and Deborah Ward running the show. Greg Peterson was also pretty good, even though he didn't show up until 2000 or so.

KPTM actually has some quality personnel, but the higher ups there don't give them the budget to really dig themselves out of the cellar. I equate them to a football team that has good players but is saddled with a horrible coach and a cheap owner who won't spend the money to improve.

WOWT is what it's always been. A good but not great station that is saddled with just as many idiots as there are quality people, yet remains very steady.

KETV is my favorite by far. They have had some bone-headed hires (hello, Farah Fuzal) but Rob McCartney is pretty good, as is Bill Randby. John Oakey is another one I like.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

KETV is my favorite by far. They have had some bone-headed hires (hello, Farah Fuzal) but Rob McCartney is pretty good, as is Bill Randby. John Oakey is another one I like.
They may be the best at delivering a news story, but they should stick to just that. They look like they're forced to crack some clever little 2nd grade joke just before every commercial. Followed by some akward forced laughter.

Rob McCartney is the worst, imo with the stupid jokes. In a way it is funny, because you can just tell with the look on his face even he knows the crap rolling down the teleprompter is lame.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Since I live in Lincoln I don't watch much Omaha TV. Actually I don't watch much TV period but when I watch sports news I like Dave Weber. He has a great personality. My favorite radio station in the morning is KFAB and Garry Saddlemayer(sic?). He has a great sense of humor and you can always depend on him for a laugh. Then there is Lucy Chapman. WOW what a sexy voice. Don't anybody dare send me a picture of her because in my mind she has it all. Reality would have to be a big disappointment.

GL2

Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Then there is Lucy Chapman. WOW what a sexy voice. Don't anybody dare send me a picture of her because in my mind she has it all. Reality would have to be a big disappointment.

GL2
This girl's name is Lucy Chapman

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:YZlN4LDQ6ol3IM:http://www.fastcar.co.uk/-4570735436544544683/Lucy2%3Fmaxw%3D270 (broken link)

Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 PM

306 posts, read 714,377 times
When KXVO had a newscast, they at least took their bottom feeder rankings and had some fun with it. For example, this gem you may have seen (pumpkin dance):

YouTube - KXVO "Pumpkin Dance"

Regarding WOWT, they're okay I guess but WOWT sure does like to air stories of citizens voicing mediocre complaints (e.g., speed bumps not marked, d**n kids driving too fast down a street, etc). Although, the Andrea Rich horse/Seabiscuit/Mr. Ed jokes I've seen on a certain news media blog makes me chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: