Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times

Advertisements

maybe if the people of omaha shoveled their driveways and sidewalks

the postmen and paper carriers job wouldnt be so difficult

Mail Carriers Blocked By Snow, Lack Of Funds - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/21921957/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
maybe if the people of omaha shoveled their driveways and sidewalks

the postmen and paper carriers job wouldnt be so difficult

Mail Carriers Blocked By Snow, Lack Of Funds - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/21921957/detail.html - broken link)

Well I'm sorry I held up my mail carrier because I couldn't get my walk scooped. I fianlly got it done last night. I realize this was at least 36 hours after the snow stopped, I'm sorry.

Wednesday morning I had to take off and go to work at 6:30 am. Wy wife was at home but with an 18 month old girl on her hands was unable to get out and get it doen. I intended to get thte scooping done when I got home from work at 5:00 pm.

However, throughout the day my daughter developed a fever and and a weezing rattle in her chest. So instead of scooping we went to the Urgent Care office to get her checked out. As luck would have it a young man in the nighborhood asked if he could scoop or drive and sidewalks for $15. We gladly payed the money and he got to work as we left for the Dr.

After we got home we realized the kid did about 15 feet of the driveway and never returned, so our walk was still not done. We tried to give our daughter her medicine at about 8:00 pm but she vomited everytime it hit her throat. After calling the Dr. back he advised that we had better take her to the ER since her breathing was so bad and she couldn't get her medicine. So back out we went to the ER this time, still not scooping the sidewalk or driveway.

So we got home about midnight and put our sick exhuasted baby to bed. we had been to the pharmacist twice the DR once the ER once and were the proud owners of a nebulizer so we could do breathing treatments at home.

Thursday morning I stayed home from work to take care of our daughter. My wife had to go to work to since she is a teacher at a local college and had to adminsiter her final exams. So me inside with sick baby, still not scooping. Once my wife got home we made some dinner cuddled with our sick girl, and got her off to bed about 8:00pm.

So finally at that time I wrapped myself up and headed out into the cold to attempt to scoop the snow that now had been driven over, walked on, the pile of snow the plow stuck infron of the house. After an hour and a half I had made enough progress that our mail carrier should be able to bring us our gas bill which I'm sure will be shocking this month. Our daily pile of junk mail, including coupons for junk we could never imagine buying, credit card offers we dont need, and notices that we may already be a winner.

I don't want to be rude to the mail carrier. They have a tough job to do, especially in this weather. But with the week I've had I'm just not to concerened about the mail running behind. It ain't the 1850's, if I need some info or communication I'll pickup the phone or use the web.
Maybe Omaha would be better if lazy sofa loafers like me were out there getting their scooping done so the flourish of junk mail being delivered by antiquated and irrelevant USPS can arrive in a timely fashion. But I'm not going to feel bad about taking care of my job and my family and getting the scooping done when I get a chance. I'm sure there are some lazy losers out there, but I'll bet more often than not there are reasons folks aren't out there getting the shoveling done right away. Even if it means a delay for their daily dose of coupons and unbelievable offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: