U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM

271 posts, read 583,496 times

Advertisements

Several questions about the Omaha/Council Bluffs area. Answers to some or all appreciated.

1) Big sports fan here, especially football, hockey and soccer. With no professional sports in Omaha---would I be entertained?

2) Hate driving in traffic. How's public transportation?

3) Do like "getting away from it all". How far away would I have to go to do so?

4) How easy would it be to get "livable wage" jobs in the Human Service/Social Service sector? (Eventually I want to get away from that field too but since that's where my experience is I might need to take something in the field to get started)

5) How easy is it to get decent paying/ entry level jobs in a field that I'm interested in but have no experience with? (Possibilities=transportation or property management)

6) Where to live? I'm a single male with no kids in my early 40's. I prefer older "working class" communities and not needing to worry about decent schools. Not overly concerned about crime but would prefer to stay away from gang infested "hoods". Do need a "pet friendly" area though.

7) Best time to move? Considering I'd be coming down with little to no money I would be needing to find an inexpensive place to stay. Don't mind camping out for a bit but don't want to freeze to death either.

No, I'm not a homeless criminal. In fact I'm a college educated single male that just can't seem to make headway where I am at right now and am needing a new start. I've moved a few times and feel that I have 1 big move left in me, just trying to figure out where
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 11:24 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,189,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
Several questions about the Omaha/Council Bluffs area. Answers to some or all appreciated.

1) Big sports fan here, especially football, hockey and soccer. With no professional sports in Omaha---would I be entertained?
I would assume so. Husker Football is big. There's also Creighton & University of Nebraska-Omaha for colleges. There is the College World Series of baseball, in Omaha, every June.

I've got a good friend who plays in some of the Hockey Leagues in Omaha. I was very surprised to find out that there is a LOT of hockey played here.

2) Hate driving in traffic. How's public transportation?
Public Transportation isn't so good. Omaha's public transit buses (MAT) are all over the city, but you never see more than 2-3 people in any bus at any time. On the other hand, if you happen to live and work in places where the bus routes go, you might get lucky.

3) Do like "getting away from it all". How far away would I have to go to do so?
Depends on your definition of getting away from it all. There are several State Parks within half-hour of Omaha.

4) How easy would it be to get "livable wage" jobs in the Human Service/Social Service sector? (Eventually I want to get away from that field too but since that's where my experience is I might need to take something in the field to get started)
I cannot answer that question, although there are quite a few hospitals here in Omaha, and I'm sure that there are the HS/SS jobs that typically surround hospitals.

As an aside, the economy in Omaha is actually pretty good right now, compared to elsewhere in the country.

5) How easy is it to get decent paying/ entry level jobs in a field that I'm interested in but have no experience with? (Possibilities=transportation or property management)
I cannot answer that question with any degree of credibility.

6) Where to live? I'm a single male with no kids in my early 40's. I prefer older "working class" communities and not needing to worry about decent schools. Not overly concerned about crime but would prefer to stay away from gang infested "hoods". Do need a "pet friendly" area though.
I think you'd really like the Downtown and/or Midtown areas.

7) Best time to move? Considering I'd be coming down with little to no money I would be needing to find an inexpensive place to stay. Don't mind camping out for a bit but don't want to freeze to death either.
Don't move here right now if you might be spending some nights outdoors. If I were you, I'd wait until spring or summer.

No, I'm not a homeless criminal. In fact I'm a college educated single male that just can't seem to make headway where I am at right now and am needing a new start. I've moved a few times and feel that I have 1 big move left in me, just trying to figure out where
I hope you find something good in Omaha. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,478,147 times
mat bus system is somewhat bad to say the least

on sundays, they hardly run

during the week they dont go west of 120th or into sarpy county

unless it is a express bus (if at all)

Old 12-05-2009, 09:12 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,660,654 times
regarding.. the getting away question. It depends on where you are coming from, where you have been and what you are used to. And do you have a private jet to get somewhere in a few hours, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_net View Post
Here's my take

Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 21,584 times
1) Creighton Basketball - the best show/game in Omaha.

2) Public Transportation sucks.

That's the only information I have for you....

Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM

370 posts, read 1,163,014 times

Hockey: Lancers (USHL) and UNO (NCAA)

You can be in rural Nebraska and several nice State Parks in less than an hour. You can be in really quiet State Parks in about two hours.

State DHHS jobs are a dime a dozen, and pay decent, especially compared to NE's relatively low COL. Maybe some private sector possibilities in hospitals.

Unsure. NE's unemployement rate tends to run lower than the rest of the US.

Already got good info on that.

You'll freeze to death if you try to camp out now.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 AM

271 posts, read 583,496 times
I'm getting alot of good info on Omaha but so far nobody has really answered my question about the best time to move.

The answers I'm getting are don't do it now but nobody is saying when the best time is.

My current lease is up in April so, would late April early May be reasonable? Should I wait until closer to summer? But if I do, will expenses be higher due to summer tourist season? Maybe fall?

Appreciate the help

Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 AM

704 posts, read 1,618,076 times
Quote:
I'm getting alot of good info on Omaha but so far nobody has really answered my question about the best time to move.

The answers I'm getting are don't do it now but nobody is saying when the best time is.

My current lease is up in April so, would late April early May be reasonable? Should I wait until closer to summer? But if I do, will expenses be higher due to summer tourist season? Maybe fall?

Appreciate the help

I think late spring would be the perfect time to move. That's your best shot for good weather before it gets too hot. I can't see any reason that your costs would be higher that time of year.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM

370 posts, read 1,163,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I think late spring would be the perfect time to move. That's your best shot for good weather before it gets too hot. I can't see any reason that your costs would be higher that time of year.

I would second that. If you have to camp, there will be spots available, and costs don't flucuate for tourist season in Nebraska.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:29 PM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Quote:

See this about the hazards of camping in Omaha in the winter:

Winter Quarters Nebraska Temple - Mormonism, The Mormon Church, Beliefs, & Religion - MormonWiki

More than 2,000 members of the Church died at Winter Quarters due to heavy storms, scurvy, malaria, and inadequate food and shelter.

At first, the Mormon pioneers lived in tents. They soon built cabins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or