Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM
CCJ CCJ started this thread

55 posts, read 168,733 times

Advertisements

Hey there. My husband's job is moving us to Omaha next summer. I have been busy trying to research to decide what part of town we would like to live in.

I have noticed talk about the high property taxes in Omaha. My question is it significantly lower in outlying counties (like Sarpy)?

We currently live outside of San Antonio, TX. The property taxes, home owners/car insurance are significantly higher if you live inside Bexar County. I'm guessing the same thing rings true around most big cities, but I am not sure.

Also, we have 3 young kiddos. So schools are a huge priority. We have always been in the suburbs and will probably continue to do so. Hubby will be working Downtown/Old Market and is cool with a 20-30 min commute. Looking to spend around 175-225K on a house. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
I have noticed talk about the high property taxes in Omaha. My question is it significantly lower in outlying counties (like Sarpy)?
Property taxes vary from city to city and even county to county. Papillion (in Sarpy County) has the highest tax rate in the Omaha metro if I'm not mistaken.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Be very careful when you look - hard to make generic statements.

From all of the Cities in Douglas and Sarpy County, Papillion is the lowest - the variance between the 9 cities is about 50%, but that's just one component.

The three major factors that make up your tax bill are first the local school district component (there are 11 school districts in the 2 county area). Second is the city vs SID component (Papillion and Omaha are on the low end - Springfield and Ralston I think are the highest from city - but be careful if you live in an SID). Third is the county component (Douglas vs Sarpy).

Take a look at this thread for a related conversation.. note, the rates mentioned are last years, the new ones were just set a few months back, but the proportions are probably still close.
Relo question: property tax rates. schools

A supplemental discussion thread that might be relevant:
How to identify an SID number?

Post follow-up questions.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
The nice thing is that if you're looking at a house in Omaha (Douglas County) you can look directly at the assessors website and find out the tax information.

It has other useful information there too.

Douglas County Assessor

Old 12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
CCJ CCJ started this thread

55 posts, read 168,733 times
Dave - thanks so much for the links. I had gone back through old messages, but only till Feb/Mar of this year. I should have kept looking! I had come across the Sarpy tax rates by SID but had no idea what was what.

Are the realtors up there well versed in finding SID's/tax info do you think it is something I will have to research myself once we look at the house (not that I mind, just wondering what to expect)? And on that note, anyone have a realtor to recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: