U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 AM

15,914 posts, read 36,029,368 times

Advertisements

Omaha - is it pedestrian friendly? Mostly car-oriented? How is the layout?

Not that I wouldn't have a car, but it is nice to be able to walk around places without jumping in the car for nearly everything.

Also, if there is some walkable density...are there people around...or is just walkable in the fact that you COULD walk because there are sidewalks.

I guess, essentially, thinking of neighborhood settings where you can walk to the library, bookstores, restaurants, or whatever...without having to get in a car and drive to some mall that has everything, and what might be most common.

I guess I'm seeing if there are exceptions to the normal city-oriented layouts in the city...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,102,990 times
^ That's going to depend entirely on where you live, and how far you're willing to walk and/or ride your bike.

For the most part you're more apt to be car-free in the downtown area - not only because it's more congested, but because there is better public transit there.

Also note, though, that it's 9 degrees below zero this morning. This is unusually cold, and it comes after we have had two major snow storms in 3 weeks, but let's be honest... Right now is NOT a good time to be trying to walk or ride your bike.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:29 PM

21 posts, read 35,393 times
Omaha has a crap public transit system. I've never seen more than a couple people in any of their buses.

That matched with zero snow plow reliability - you're stuck with either a gas guzzler SUV or an overpriced Subaru.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,102,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln-Continental View Post
Omaha has a crap public transit system. I've never seen more than a couple people in any of their buses.

That matched with zero snow plow reliability - you're stuck with either a gas guzzler SUV or an overpriced Subaru.
You know... Your posts are kind of funny & all, but why don't you stay out of the big boy discussions, okay?

By the way, I'm driving around in a little VW Golf. Apparently it IS possible, ehhh?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM

494 posts, read 909,396 times
^ Agreed on the lack of good public transit. Completely disagree on needing a SUV or Subaru. I did fine in a Honda Civic.

As for walkability, there are definitely areas where it's possible - i.e. downtown/Dundee/midtown, and increasingly the Aksarben area - but Omaha is still a car oriented city for the most part. This is starting to change, however, as the density is certainly there (east of 72n'd street to support a walkable environment).

Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 PM

86,884 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
^ Agreed on the lack of good public transit. Completely disagree on needing a SUV or Subaru. I did fine in a Honda Civic.

As for walkability, there are definitely areas where it's possible - i.e. downtown/Dundee/midtown, and increasingly the Aksarben area - but Omaha is still a car oriented city for the most part. This is starting to change, however, as the density is certainly there (east of 72n'd street to support a walkable environment).
DH lived across the street from the old Aksarben and did a lot of walking, e.g. downtown to Central High, etc. It can be done. Omaha is a pretty car-oriented place, however, IMO.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
I'm very interested in this topic. We have a job offer in Omaha (coming from Minnesota). My husband is blind. One of the last towns we lived in (yep, it was small -2400 people), you could walk everywhere-post office, library, movie theater, drug store, school, restaurants, in less than a mile.

We are not financially well off, but don't need much more than something like a 1960's 3 bedroom, 1000sq ft home in a friendly neighborhood near shops like those listed above. Could you tell me more about the Aksarben and the downtown/Dundee/midtown areas?
Thanks, appreciate your opinions.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 AM

109 posts, read 227,408 times
There are some very nice homes about the size you were looking for around the Aksarben Village area. There are grocery stores (Wholner's & Hy-Vee) close. Bus Lines run on Center Street, but I have heard the buses are inefficient (like most from Omaha I am not expert on the bus system). Walgreens and WalMart are also very close. Also, there are many restaurants, sit down and fast food, close by. Movie Theater is a little further away, but you will only go there once in a while. Post Office is right by the Hy-Vee at 52 & Center. There are a couple OPS elementary schools near by and a Parochial school (Holy Cross) too. These are within a 1 mile radius of 60th & Center. Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,460,433 times
it is pedestrian friendly

we have plenty of cycling/walking/jogging trails

we also the pedestrian bridge which connects cb and omaha

Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,460,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln-Continental View Post

the bus system is a joke. that is a myth btw only a couple of people are on it.

I am on the 2 or 3 or 4 a lot and it is pretty packed.

even on sundays with the 4 or 2 routes.

the bus system on sundays is a joke.

the 13 is mashed up half-route with 32/40

the 55 and 16 and 5 dont run at all.

service south of harrison is almost non-existent except for the express routes 93 and 95 and of course

17 and 48 which also dont run on sundays

I have said that they need to sack Curt Simon and get someone comptent to run the MAT bus system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or