U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:58 PM

44 posts, read 43,175 times
Default How often do Omaha-ers go to Council Bluffs?

I know that folks from Council Bluffs cross the river into Omaha quite frequently for the shopping and many attractions, but I am wondering how often (if ever ) Omaha-ers make their way to Council Bluffs and what draws them there? I enjoy the many beautiful parks and orchards in the area and have even visited a couple of the wineries (even though I don't drink) and found that to be fascinating. What is everyone's take on this?

Rod
Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-03-2010, 06:34 PM

8,294 posts, read 12,589,973 times
How often do I go into Council Bluffs? Absolutely no more often than is necessary. There are many reasons.

Unread 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
How often do I go into Council Bluffs? Absolutely no more often than is necessary. There are many reasons.
Ha! Does your mother-in-law live there?

Unread 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD SPOT View Post
Ha! Does your mother-in-law live there?
No, actually my mother-in-law is fantastic.

Frankly, one of my primary reasons for refusing to go to Council Bluffs is their red-light cameras - complete with intentionally shortened yellow lights - in order to extort as much money as possible from people.

It's not about safety. It's about money. Therefore, NONE of my business (including tens of thousands of dollars per year in building materials) is done in Council Bluffs. To put it bluntly; screw them.

Unread 01-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Frankly, one of my primary reasons for refusing to go to Council Bluffs is their red-light cameras - complete with intentionally shortened yellow lights - in order to extort as much money as possible from people.

It's not about safety. It's about money. Therefore, NONE of my shopping (including tens of thousands of dollars per year in building materials) is done in Council Bluffs. To put it bluntly; screw them.
Yeah, I agree that the cameras are annoying. So far I have avoided any run-ins with the traffic robots. Probably because I tend to drive slowly and patiently. I guess I am running head-long into old-man-itis!

Unread 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I agree that the cameras are annoying. So far I have avoided any run-ins with the traffic robots. Probably because I tend to drive slowly and patiently. I guess I am running head-long into old-man-itis!
Actually, the red-light cameras are more than annoying. I talked to the Iowa DOT and the shortest duration for yellow lights is supposed to be 3 seconds, in a 20-25 mph zone. Council Bluffs has their timed at less than 3 seconds in 35-45 mph zones.

This money-grubbing stunt forces people to slam on their brakes, and increases rear-end accidents. Again, it's not about public safety. It's about the City of Council Bluffs making money. That's all.

Add to that the fact that everybody in Co Bluffs looks like they're related, and it's all the more reason to never go over there.

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:42 PM

21 posts, read 22,370 times
Quote:
What just happened here? I don't mean to stir the pot, but this seems kind of out of left-field here, Lincoln-Continental. I didn't mean to start an Omaha vs. Council Bluffs battle here.

This is not Omaha Vs. Council Bluffs.

I will not, by any means be associated with such a garbage pit.

Rod- if you want to RV somewhere - try out Lincoln NE.

Omaha Rocks: Are you passing other people's experiences off as your own? What makes you think you PERSONALLY have any knowledge of the red light district?

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln-Continental View Post
This is not Omaha Vs. Council Bluffs.

I will not, by any means be associated with such a garbage pit.

Rod- if you want to RV somewhere - try out Lincoln NE.

Omaha Rocks: Are you passing other people's experiences off as your own? What makes you think you PERSONALLY have any knowledge of the red light district?

Ok, well glad to know that my post didn't start any of this. I will let you and Omaha Rocks settle things.

Not sure if I will check out the camping scene around Lincoln anytime soon. Perhaps this summer though...

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln-Continental View Post
I'll allow you some time to THINK about how it could be that my vehicle was involved but it was not me driving it. I bet if you really put your mind to it, you could figure it out.

Unread 01-03-2010, 09:22 PM

3,284 posts, read 856,574 times
Quote:

It's not about safety. It's about money. Therefore, NONE of my business (including tens of thousands of dollars per year in building materials) is done in Council Bluffs. To put it bluntly; screw them.
OmahaRocks, if you always do the right thing and obey the law, you will never have to worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha