U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,001,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTDAMON View Post
Some of us live in 100 year old buildings. Furthermore - I looked at your profile and noticed you are from California.

Do you even know what it's like to live in a climate that dips into the -30s? I have lived in Omaha, Duluth, and Ann Arbor Michigan and for some reason I **** you not - Omaha seems to be the coldest the most often.
You must have looked at someone else's profile. The last time I was even in California I was 7 years old. And I've never lived there.

I've specifically mentioned right here in this thread where I'm actually from. Plus it's right in the "Location" field in the upper right-hand corner of every single one of my posts (Hint: I live further north than you do.)

The building I live in was built 80 years ago. It has the original windows. It's not fun to heat. And that's why I go to such lengths to reduce my heating bill. It's not because I'm stingy, it's because I'll go broke in winters if I'm not aggressively proactive about it.

Last edited by Drover; 01-07-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,449 times
When i was a kid (growing up in the black hills) we used to keep our rooms pretty cold. But we always put a hot brick down by our feet right before we went to bed. I did sleep with my brothers and sister in the same bed till I was 11 too, so I guess that helped as well.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,690 times
I think some are confusing the definition of "efficiency." Some are using it in the true physics sense and some are using it an economic sense.

Not to mention people are comparing entirely different systems (different houses), each with different thermodynamic properties and trying to come to some conclusion.

The only rational conclusion that can be made here is that the means having the superior efficiency, be it economic or physical, can only be determined on a case by case basis.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM

50 posts, read 35,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I think some are confusing the definition of "efficiency." Some are using it in the true physics sense and some are using it an economic sense.

Not to mention people are comparing entirely different systems (different houses), each with different thermodynamic properties and trying to come to some conclusion.

The only rational conclusion that can be made here is that the means having the superior efficiency, be it economic or physical, can only be determined on a case by case basis.

I don't like this guy. Coming in here and pissing on everyone.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,690 times
Sorry for speaking my mind. I'm not pissing on anybody, but I am speaking rationally and could careless about the back and forth banter that has nothing to do with the facts or physical reality. I'm a physicist and just thought I'd point out the obvious facts here. But if you prefer go ahead and continue to argue about how your orange is a better orange than the other guy's apple.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 AM

3,284 posts, read 2,852,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTDAMON View Post
I don't like this guy. Coming in here and pissing on everyone.
Lmao, something is just very funny about that, relevant or not.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 AM

3,284 posts, read 2,852,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post

Efficiency - in my definition. Effectiveness versus energy consumption.

Am I missing something? And yes, there are so many different types of space heaters, this is a pissing match only worthy of mythbusters.

Perhaps ALL of us should stop pretending to know more than we actually do?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,128,975 times
My upstairs isnt even heated/air conditioned...I'll take the space heater when I go up there, thankyouverymuch. Its that or me and the dogs freeze our buns off all night.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 AM

50 posts, read 35,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Efficiency - in my definition. Effectiveness versus energy consumption.

Am I missing something? And yes, there are so many different types of space heaters, this is a pissing match only worthy of mythbusters.

Perhaps ALL of us should stop pretending to know more than we actually do?

Amen - Amen brother.

Physicist? Why the **** aren't you putting us on other planets? Or converting our every move into some sort of potential energy.

I hope you aren't working for the gov. Because I'd be pissed that I was paying for you to sit on here pretending to be a physicist.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,001,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yep.

On the plus side, Seal N Peel does wonders - even if your windows aren't too bad!
As much as I hate putting that plastic crap up and as tacky as it looks, it's by far my most effective and least expensive option. My windows have such huge gaps and there are so many of them (both gaps and windows) with all those stupid little panes with air leaking around the glazing bars that I'd spend probably two days and at least a hundred bucks on caulk trying to seal them up. The windows are just so poorly constructed (though they probably didn't leak so bad in the 1920s when they were first built and installed) that trying to caulk all the leaking gaps would be like trying to keep the Titanic afloat by bailing the water with buckets. They're so bad that air even leaks in around the molding. If the landlord actually lived in this place or had to pay the heating bill, I'd bet money these crappy windows would be replaced in a right freakin' hurry.

Last edited by Drover; 01-10-2010 at 02:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or