U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:04 PM

12 posts, read 41,836 times

Advertisements

Got some good winners too yesterday.

The best is :

Going west on West Center early morning when it was very slippy and snow started to accumulate. 2 lanes, I'm driving on the right at 35mph (10 under limit) because I know if I go any faster, I'll loose control (all season tire, small car, low clearance...). For about 5 miles, a SUV was sniffing my exhaust or the driver tried to read what radio station was on in my car, even though there was no one on the other lane .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:31 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,115,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_west View Post
Got some good winners too yesterday.

The best is :

Going west on West Center early morning when it was very slippy and snow started to accumulate. 2 lanes, I'm driving on the right at 35mph (10 under limit) because I know if I go any faster, I'll loose control (all season tire, small car, low clearance...). For about 5 miles, a SUV was sniffing my exhaust or the driver tried to read what radio station was on in my car, even though there was no one on the other lane .
Yep.

There are a lot of idiots driving SUVs and 4x4s. For some reason they think that their 4-wheel drive will help them steer and stop better than anyone else.

They are wrong. Unfortunately, many innocent people pay a high price for the ignorance and arrogance of some of these SUV & 4x4 drivers.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 PM

84 posts, read 201,421 times
haven't been on in a while but wanted to pose the question if this is one of the worst winters in a while here snow wise or do the guys who drive the snow plows just not know how to plow? I've driven past/around/into about 50 pot holes that could swallow most small cars...geesh

I too come from a more northern state (Wisconsin) and I have a 4 wheel drive truck so I have no problem driving in this snow and ice but the pot holes are insane...its a company truck so I don't care as much but yikes...I hope its just a bad year or people who work in the automobile service industry here are making a killing over the road conditions...

I also love the people on the interstates/roads that come flying up behind me at 10 over the speed limit only to follow me on my bumper because I have a truck or something...I have even driven in the slow lane and had switched lanes to the fast lane to let the driver go past...much to my surprise they switched lanes and followed me into the fast lane...wtf...I do a lot of driving so I probably see more of this then the average driver...but for the first winter here I don't have a problem with the weather as much as I do with the road conditions and drivers

Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,115,939 times
^ I've talked to a lot of the long-time Omaha residents (the old timers) and they all say that this is the worst winter they can remember.

One of the problems the snow plow drivers are having is that people are leaving their cars parked all over the streets. In Minneapolis - where my sons & their wives live - if your car is on the street during a snow emergency, it is towed. Immediately and without question. Period. Needless to say, they have a lot less trouble keeping their streets plowed in Mpls.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 AM

29 posts, read 68,651 times
Yup, worst drivers I've seen in a long time, and I've lived all over the country. The confusing thing is that if you drive just 45 minutes to Lincoln, the drivers there are generally calm and cool.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Omaha's a pretty wealthy city, and that gives a good amount of people a sense of entitlement or even invincibility when they drive. Most of the jerks I see weaving or obscenely speeding are driving new SUVs or little sporty cars that don't come cheap.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 PM

19 posts, read 81,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Maybe it's just that I spent all those years living, and driving, in Minnesota. But I am dumb-founded by what I saw. There was even a guy in a 4x4 service truck that managed to get stuck in a driveway
Btw, do people change tires in winter in Minnesota? I was really surprised to find that they don't have such habit here. Probably, there would be much less stickings if they did.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,647,470 times
Oh come on. I lived in Lincoln for 10 years and have now lived in west Omaha for 3 years. There is NO difference in drivers.

The difference, if there is one, is likely the infrastructure. Lincoln is horribly horribly lacking in the infrastructure department. As a result, all traffic moves horribly slow and during winter months traffic hardly has any choice but to trickle along at 35 miles an hour. Omaha is pretty well laid out and things simply move a lot faster.

I also see no difference between Omaha drivers and Denver, KC, Chicago and etc. Maybe the infrastructure impacts the flow of traffic differently but drivers are no more or less rude in any of the cities.

People constantly call out one city and make claims like "they are the worst drivers I have every seen..." I just laugh when I see statements like that.

And i see just as many junky old unlicensed vehicles weaving in and out of traffic as I see luxury vehicles. I think these "observations" tend to have a lot more to do with the mind set of the observer than the actual happenings around them. You notice the $60K Mercedes convertible weaving in and out of traffic. A 1999 Ford Taurus weaving in and out of traffic is forgettable.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 PM

193 posts, read 590,507 times
I find myself frequently getting out of my car and checking to see if I have a large, illuminated "Please, cut me off" sign on the top. I swear someone cuts me off every day.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM

84 posts, read 201,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Oh come on. I lived in Lincoln for 10 years and have now lived in west Omaha for 3 years. There is NO difference in drivers.

The difference, if there is one, is likely the infrastructure. Lincoln is horribly horribly lacking in the infrastructure department. As a result, all traffic moves horribly slow and during winter months traffic hardly has any choice but to trickle along at 35 miles an hour. Omaha is pretty well laid out and things simply move a lot faster.

I also see no difference between Omaha drivers and Denver, KC, Chicago and etc. Maybe the infrastructure impacts the flow of traffic differently but drivers are no more or less rude in any of the cities.

People constantly call out one city and make claims like "they are the worst drivers I have every seen..." I just laugh when I see statements like that.

And i see just as many junky old unlicensed vehicles weaving in and out of traffic as I see luxury vehicles. I think these "observations" tend to have a lot more to do with the mind set of the observer than the actual happenings around them. You notice the $60K Mercedes convertible weaving in and out of traffic. A 1999 Ford Taurus weaving in and out of traffic is forgettable.
you have obviously never driven in Chicago if you think they are remotely good drivers at all...I truthfully wonder sometimes if they have to go through drivers education there to get a permit or if they just get one sent in the mail...

Omaha/Nebraska drivers are 100x better then Illinois drivers as a whole...

Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 PM

3,284 posts, read 2,854,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB1452 View Post
you have obviously never driven in Chicago if you think they are remotely good drivers at all...I truthfully wonder sometimes if they have to go through drivers education there to get a permit or if they just get one sent in the mail...

Omaha/Nebraska drivers are 100x better then Illinois drivers as a whole...
It all depends where at in Chicago you are driving. In the suburban communities, it feels very much the same as here in Omaha. In the heavily urbanized areas, downtown and loop, their agressive driving is more out of necessity.

They're actually quite good drivers, but if you aren't used to the agressive style, then you are going against the grain and YOU are considered the lousy driver in that instance.

It's all about perception and where you are used to driving. I stand by my comment about Omaha, though. There are some really dumbass drivers in Omaha, and to me, it does feel like there is a higer percentage here than other places I've been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or