U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,123,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Do you believe that the early church allowed gay marriage? If not, that means male-only.
Except the "husband of one wife" thing.
Except that an elder is to shepherd the flock--and elders are men-only.
ad hominems aside, you haven't made a decent case for women pastors. Honestly, I'm sorry you have such a difficult time with the Biblical requirements for pastors/elders. I just simply can't concede the idea that the text is irrelevant here. As I've tried to do in the past, I think we're done here and I'm calling it quits on this thread. It's gone on too long already.
You are wrong. Dead wrong. And you're being ridiculously belligerent about it.

The text is NOT irrelevant here. Unfortunately, it is YOU that is ADDING to the text something that is NOT there.

If you are comfortable ADDING to the Bible, in order to make it fit your agenda, so be it. I guess you'll have to answer for that, not me.

In the meantime, I'm quite comfortable knowing that I've adequately pointed out the fallacy of your ill-informed criticism of Stonebridge Christian Church. You are criticizing people you do not know, in a church you know nothing about, regarding an issue that you're forcing into the Biblical text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,673,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You are wrong. Dead wrong. And you're being ridiculously belligerent about it.

The text is NOT irrelevant here. Unfortunately, it is YOU that is ADDING to the text something that is NOT there.

If you are comfortable ADDING to the Bible, in order to make it fit your agenda, so be it. I guess you'll have to answer for that, not me.

In the meantime, I'm quite comfortable knowing that I've adequately pointed out the fallacy of your ill-informed criticism of Stonebridge Christian Church. You are criticizing people you do not know, in a church you know nothing about, regarding an issue that you're forcing into the Biblical text.

We'll have to agree to disagree. You think I'm adding to the text, I don't think I am. I'm reading it very plainly. I think you're ignoring obvious requirements spelled out in the text.

I get it. We disagree. I am not saying you're a heretic for it, but I do think Stonebridge is wrong for hiring women pastors. You can disagree...that's fine. I recognize your right to be wrong.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 AM

704 posts, read 1,614,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. You think I'm adding to the text, I don't think I am. I'm reading it very plainly. I think you're ignoring obvious requirements spelled out in the text.

I get it. We disagree. I am not saying you're a heretic for it, but I do think Stonebridge is wrong for hiring women pastors. You can disagree...that's fine. I recognize your right to be wrong.

My Grandmother became a pastor in the Methodist church at the age of 50. She's just as misguided as any other Christian. I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone picks their favorite Bible verse to sheild them from criticism while ignoring others that contradict them. It's a nice little game so people can believe they are doing the right thing and feel good about themselves. But at the end of the day IF there is a God, and that's a BIG if, I don't think he will care about the sex of the preacher. And wouldn't it be really funny if it turns out God is Jewish?

Ok sorry for distracting this "serious" Christian conversation, carry on...

Old 02-26-2010, 12:14 AM

51 posts, read 65,144 times
Modcut-personal attack This does draw out an interesting challenge for boards such as this though, what to do when you have won a debate convincingly, with no doubt whatsoever about it, but your defeated foe does not realize this, and seems to be energized by the beat down.
Omaha rocks about as well as Omaha Rocks can see plain writing on a wall, no offense to Omaha, and no offence to the person behind "omaha rocks", but really, rocks??
I have not read in a very long time a more unjustified mud sling as "You are wrong. Dead wrong. And you're being ridiculously belligerent about it."
I would put that comment this way, "you are right, totally right, and being incredibly civil about it".
Good to read you Calvinist, stay strong, and stay true!!

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-26-2010 at 09:44 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 AM

21 posts, read 43,693 times
"Treat the other man’s faith gently; it is all he has to believe with. His mind was created for his own thoughts, not yours or mine."
Henry S. Haskins

just sayin'.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultamerica View Post
Safe to say Omaha Rocks needs new meds. This does draw out an interesting challenge for boards such as this though, what to do when you have won a debate convincingly, with no doubt whatsoever about it, but your defeated foe does not realize this, and seems to be energized by the beat down.
Omaha rocks about as well as Omaha Rocks can see plain writing on a wall, no offense to Omaha, and no offence to the person behind "omaha rocks", but really, rocks??
I have not read in a very long time a more unjustified mud sling as "You are wrong. Dead wrong. And you're being ridiculously belligerent about it."
I would put that comment this way, "you are right, totally right, and being incredibly civil about it".
Good to read you Calvinist, stay strong, and stay true!!
Hmmmm... Let's see. Which member has this as a secondary account?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:47 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,673,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
My Grandmother became a pastor in the Methodist church at the age of 50. She's just as misguided as any other Christian. I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone picks their favorite Bible verse to sheild them from criticism while ignoring others that contradict them. It's a nice little game so people can believe they are doing the right thing and feel good about themselves. But at the end of the day IF there is a God, and that's a BIG if, I don't think he will care about the sex of the preacher. And wouldn't it be really funny if it turns out God is Jewish?

Ok sorry for distracting this "serious" Christian conversation, carry on...

Honestly, it's not about "qualifications", or knowledge. There are just different roles, as defined by God. I'm sure your Grandma is a dear sweet woman, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to her.

I am convinced that the whole of scripture teaches this. This isn't just camping on 1 verse, but it's a Systematic Theology.

And really...my comments about women pastors, and an area church in particular were more a statement about liberal versus conservative churches. Whatever your hermeneutics on the passages dealing with men and women's roles, the fact remains that you typically will not find a woman pastor in a conservative church.

So that said, it would probably be fairly accurate to say that said church is not a conservative one.

Last edited by Calvinist; 02-26-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 AM

I wonder if anti-calvinists were given a time travelling machine, would without a second thought travel back to Geneva and round up John Calvin for an old fashioned burnin at the steak. This man has made me theologically uncomfortable, and must die!!!
Lets be real about it, anti-calvinists arminians are more anti than they are pro anything on doctrinal matters. This is a fact that will almost always escape them. An example is the attack issued by the above poster which went after Calvin's character rather than his doctrine. This is the tried and true approach; murderer, villain, blood on your hands billy goat, horned goblin, wife beating 911 truther, commie marxist darwinian devil, what's that you say...talk about TULIP...he KILLED that innocent man, who had 17 hungry children to feed, with his bare hands while smoke rolled out of his ears, and had, it has been very well documented, a crooked smile on his face the whole while!!!
TULIP is as solid as a rock. It's not even funny to me now, after looking at much of the best arguments against it, by the best who dare to take it on. It is rather disgusting that so many have been lulled into this state of doubt, truly sad. Calvin responded to lies, and was rewarded with a rich life of shining light on the ancient fortress of pure evil know as the Roman Catholic church, and that church has not forgotten, their vicious response continues today in the form of baseless slander and half truths similar to that seen in this thread.
I do wish I had more time to devout to this thread due to my unsuccessful search for a church in Omaha. Paul in Hebrews 5 talks of a diet of milk vs. meat, it would seem that what we have here is a new category, call it the jello stage. This is the stage you enter after reading areas like John 6:37, pretty much all of Romans, that you say I NEED JELLO NOW, and you don't have to look far to find it, probably within walking distance.
There is hope on the web although, for any who may be unsatisfied with jello, and skim milk, I would recommend a site of a former roman catholic priest Richard Bennett at www.bereanbeacon.org, Dr. James White can be found trampling on paper thin arguments against Calvinism on youtube, and his site at www.aomin.org.
The noise leveled at Calvin in my mind is only the beginning of the challenges for those who can read the Bible without a cutting and pasting tool, so I for one, a mere student of the Bible encourage all to stay strong, and continue to hold fast to the truth.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM

I Timothy 2:11-12 one more time...

11-"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12-But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."
The context here confirms the verses without shadow, or areas of gray . But I would say again, that if you are lead to doubt the plain meaning of these verses, then you will be free to continue until your ears have been properly itched, may take a while.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultamerica View Post
I wonder if anti-calvinists were given a time travelling machine, would without a second thought travel back to Geneva and round up John Calvin for an old fashioned burnin at the steak. This man has made me theologically uncomfortable, and must die!!!
That should read, "burning at the stake."

So let's talk briefly about Michael Servetus - a man who had the audacity to point out Calvin's anti-Biblical proposing of infant baptism.

On October 27, 1553, John "I'm acting just like Jesus" Calvin referred to Servetus as "villainous cur," and accused him of heresy. Calvin refused Servetus an advocate in court, and ordered that Servetus be burned at the stake, over green wood, so that it would take longer for him to die.

I have to wonder if John Calvin was wearing his "WWJD" bracelet that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or