U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,668,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
THAT TEAM WAS LEAVING "THE RAPIDLY DECAYING STADIUM" REGARDLESS! The point of the new stadium was to secure to CWS for the next quarter century and to accumulate at least 40 million in revenues annually because of that. Damn I'm tired of the naysayers who have absolutely no argument to support their anti-dowtown stadium rhetoric.
We very well could have just renovated and gotten a lot more bang for our buck. But then fahey wouldn't have had the legacy of a new ballpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 AM

3,284 posts, read 2,851,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We very well could have just renovated and gotten a lot more bang for our buck. But then fahey wouldn't have had the legacy of a new ballpark.
Actually that isn't true. Everything from the internal structure to the width of the concourses would have to of been changed.

The new location had a lot to do with it as well. I think they wanted to move away from the tent-like setup to a more permanent business presence in the north downtown area.

Trust me, it's actually a very solid business plan. No more paying 10-15 bucks to jam your car in someones yard, no walking with your kids through those neighborhoods only to see some young drunk punks pissing on fences and trees... you name it. Johnny Rosenblatt stadium was old and crappy. Time for a change, period.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,232 times
I'm not sure why there is so much angst direct on Fahey on this. He was NOT the only one who thought it was a good idea. I also think its a bit funny that everyone against it simply deduces that the only reason we have it is because Fahey wanted to ram it down our throats and it was his "legacy." Apparently they weren't paying attention when the plan garnered wide support city wide. Ya, the people in and around Rosenblatt might be annoyed, but the city is more than just that area.

I'm sorry. If Yankee Freaking Stadium can be replaced so can Rosenblatt. The new venue will be a vast improvement.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 AM

13,897 posts, read 19,073,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
But why renovate? Then you'd just have a mildly better stadium that is still too far away from the core of the city and offers very little entertainment options close by. Hell, it's just sitting in the middle of a neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I'm not sure why there is so much angst direct on Fahey on this. He was NOT the only one who thought it was a good idea. I also think its a bit funny that everyone against it simply deduces that the only reason we have it is because Fahey wanted to ram it down our throats and it was his "legacy." Apparently they weren't paying attention when the plan garnered wide support city wide. Ya, the people in and around Rosenblatt might be annoyed, but the city is more than just that area.

I'm sorry. If Yankee Freaking Stadium can be replaced so can Rosenblatt. The new venue will be a vast improvement.
He's just the figurehead and it's easy to point the finger at him. What's funny is all the stadium detractors ***** about how it didn't go up to a vote and "nobody wanted the stadium" but yet when they tried to recall Fahey they only got about 30% of the signatures required and a large majority of those were from residents of former Elkhorn who weren't even eligible to participate.

Last edited by McBain II; 02-23-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
But why renovate? Then you'd just have a mildly better stadium that is still too far away from the core of the city and offers very little entertainment options close by. Hell, it's just sitting in the middle of a neighborhood.
Not to mention, the CWS officials could not guarantee a significant contract extension with a remodel. They wanted a new stadium, whether their dictation of the event is warranted or not, they are getting a new stadium. I for one, feel it was the smart move.

SAVE ROSENBLATT!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,100,440 times
Quote:
You renovate for the purpose of maintaining a hallowed tradition. It's the reason Green Bay spent as much (or more) renovating Lambau Field as it would have cost to build a new football stadium.

Obviously, the Rosenblatt situation is different. It is not an national icon, as is Lambau. Also, with the new downtown stadium came the signed contract that keeps the CWS in Omaha for several more decades. That seems like a smart thing to do.

Again, me being a broken record, the only thing that ticks me off about the downtown stadium is that we know - regardless of what our perpetually lying politicians tell us - that the Omaha Property Taxpayers are going to end up paying for the stadium, just like we're paying for the QWest Center.

I love the downtown urban renovation going on in Omaha. It's fantastic! But why not let the people who are benefiting from it pay for it?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 AM

13,897 posts, read 19,073,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Not to mention, the CWS officials could not guarantee a significant contract extension with a remodel. They wanted a new stadium, whether their dictation of the event is warranted or not, they are getting a new stadium. I for one, feel it was the smart move.

SAVE ROSENBLATT!!!
It was the right move, unequivocally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Again, me being a broken record, the only thing that ticks me off about the downtown stadium is that we know - regardless of what our perpetually lying politicians tell us - that the Omaha Property Taxpayers are going to end up paying for the stadium, just like we're paying for the QWest Center.

I love the downtown urban renovation going on in Omaha. It's fantastic! But why not let the people who are benefiting from it pay for it?
We'll re-visit this post in about 5-7 years.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,100,440 times
Quote:
We'll re-visit this post in about 5-7 years.
Dang right we will! And I'll be right here - crotchety and angry as ever - shaking my wrinkled fist and yelling, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!"

Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 PM

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the city didn't try to pass some of the cost off onto the tax payers in some indirect or direct way.

Why? Because each year the revenues generated from the CWS are already budgeted and spent. They count on those funds. I'm not sold on them reorganizing an already RED budget to accomadate the costs of the stadium. Taxes will be raised to shore up the lack expendable revenues seen from the CWS in one way or another.

There just no way around zero plus zero being zero.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,668,753 times
Quote:

Because it was a much less expensive alternative that would have accomplished the same goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or