Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
"Though Nebraska's 82,000 black residents make up about 4.5 percent of the state's 1.8 million population, blacks have accounted for nearly 40 percent of the state's homicide victims over the past three years. In Omaha, 55.5 percent of the homicide victims in that time were black.
A black Nebraska resident during that span was 18 times more likely to be a victim of homicide than a white resident. That black-white disparity is much wider in Nebraska than the nation, where blacks are about seven times more likely to be a homicide victim."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100221/NEWS01/702219915

Not so good...
I wonder how many of those "Victims" were gang bangers? The gang bangers killing each other off is a huge problem because most of them are lousy shots and they usually hit an innocent bystander instead of the gang banger they wanted to hit.

Gang tattoos make it easy to identify these punks. Any student caught with a "known" gang tattoo should be expelled immediately. Of course the ACLU would say it is a first amendment right immediately.
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senrab+Omaha=MissingChica View Post
This is due to Omaha's "super" segregation. This goes back to how the city was planned to move minorities both pre and prior civil rights.

Also Omaha's recent crime rate, for the size of city is alarming.
There are several good books written by Black residents of Omaha that grew up in Omaha and went on to be successes in their chosen professions. A good one to start with was written by Preston Love, A THOUSAND HONEY CREEKS LATER. Mr. Love passed on several years ago but he was well known in the music business from the early 1940's until his demise. His book is an account of SOME of his experiences during that time. I am an older White guy and even though my taste in music is more along Country Western I thought the book was fascinating. Omaha had a lot going on in the era from the 1940's to 1960's. When the stockyards left a lot changed.

GL2

Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 PM

[quote=Omaha Rocks;
Until the huge packing house in Lexington started bringing in ILLEGALS by the thousands it was just another small Nebraska town with a high standard of living for all. The expansion of the packing house caused rents to go way up and created a need to expand the schools exponentially. The crime increased along with the growth of the packing house. The only ones that benefited from all this were a few Land Lords and the Packing House Corporation and managers by replacing local workers with illegals that would work for half the wages.
GL2

Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Until the huge packing house in Lexington started bringing in ILLEGALS by the thousands it was just another small Nebraska town with a high standard of living for all. The expansion of the packing house caused rents to go way up and created a need to expand the schools exponentially. The crime increased along with the growth of the packing house. The only ones that benefited from all this were a few Land Lords and the Packing House Corporation and managers by replacing local workers with illegals that would work for half the wages.
GL2
In all fairness if their population went up, one would expect to see crime rates rise as well. Something tells me you are exaggerating a bit here.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
In all fairness if their population went up, one would expect to see crime rates rise as well. Something tells me you are exaggerating a bit here.
Yes but in proportion to the increase in population.
I haven't looked up the statistics on Lexington that should be on the FBI's crime statistics website. My information is from friends and relatives living in the area not scientific.. However feel free to do so and if I am WRONG about Lexington crime rate NOT rising out of proportion to the increase in population PLEASE post it here. If I am exaggerating let me know.
GL2

Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senrab+Omaha=MissingChica View Post
Any place where people have below average education (and it is my understanding that North was below average until the past 5-7 years), with little white collar type jobs, will have disproportionate crime rates. Need examples?? let's see....
This is disprovable using almost inumerable areas in the USA that have no white collar jobs, have 'below average' (definition?) education, and yet have a low crime rate. Your independent variables do not hold a significant correlation to your result (crime, aka: the dependent variable). The states of Kentucky and West Virginia are prime examples of states that disprove your thesis.

Segregation from other races does not cause crime. What a ridiculous concept, and a cop out. One race being geographically intermixed with other races isn't some magical formula that prevents criminals from committing crime. What a preposterous concept. I can state this is false, for certain, as I live in an intermixed high crime area. It's not safe here, and no amount of geographic relocation stops criminals. I also take offense that you propose that every city with a high crime rate is due to "super segragation". That sounds like you are trying to blame the victims and absolve the criminals. You named my city in your list, and I can state for a fact that there is no super segragation along racial lines here. There isn't a single middle or middle-lower class neighborhood here that isn't intermixed. The only segregation is along economic lines, which isn't an excuse for crime, and that type of segragation will never change.

Last edited by golgi1; 11-19-2012 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM

28 posts, read 58,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
There are several good books written by Black residents of Omaha that grew up in Omaha and went on to be successes in their chosen professions. A good one to start with was written by Preston Love, A THOUSAND HONEY CREEKS LATER. Mr. Love passed on several years ago but he was well known in the music business from the early 1940's until his demise. His book is an account of SOME of his experiences during that time. I am an older White guy and even though my taste in music is more along Country Western I thought the book was fascinating. Omaha had a lot going on in the era from the 1940's to 1960's. When the stockyards left a lot changed.

GL2
Bob Gibson's autobiography is a real eye opener for someone my age (32). He couldn't even buy a house in what was then west Omaha because of racism, and this was in the 1960s while pitching for the freaking Cardinals!

Did closing Tech contribute at all to the problems? I don't know much about the school, but logic seems to dictate that many would be well served to learn a trade rather than traditional school.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM

17 posts, read 20,987 times
I'm a 37 year old black guy who grew up in one of the most dangerous housing projects in Chicago "Cabrini Green." I've seen large quantities of drugs being sold and major assault weapons in the hands of drug dealers and gangbangers. A lot of the killing between young black guys are solely based on economics. The drug dealer wore the nicest clothes and drove the nicest cars in the hood. Maybe someone can honestly answer a question for me. Where and how does the drugs and guns make it into the poorest black and Hispanic communities? Planes and boats for transporting drugs and guns cost a lot of money, I know blacks don't this type of distribution system!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Default I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygoodheart View Post
I'm a 37 year old black guy who grew up in one of the most dangerous housing projects in Chicago "Cabrini Green." I've seen large quantities of drugs being sold and major assault weapons in the hands of drug dealers and gangbangers. A lot of the killing between young black guys are solely based on economics. The drug dealer wore the nicest clothes and drove the nicest cars in the hood. Maybe someone can honestly answer a question for me. Where and how does the drugs and guns make it into the poorest black and Hispanic communities? Planes and boats for transporting drugs and guns cost a lot of money, I know blacks don't this type of distribution system!
It was the white man

Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygoodheart View Post
Maybe someone can honestly answer a question for me. Where and how does the drugs and guns make it into the poorest black and Hispanic communities?
As for the guns, this is a good article. Make sure you read the link in that article, entitled Underground Gun Market in Grand Blvd and Washington Park.Where Do Chicago's Guns Come From? - The 312 - July 2012 - Chicago

Distributors/independent entrepreneurs of all colors bring them in.

"The route heroin takes to get to that end user from the suburbs, though, is a fairly direct one, according to police and officials from the federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).

The vast majority of heroin used locally comes from south of the U.S. border in Mexico or beyond, where its production and dissemination is controlled by large, well-organized cartels.

Once the drugs are smuggled into the U.S., they're distributed through a number of channels. Heroin may move through a few mid-level distributors before it eventually makes it to street-level dealers. These can be gangs, or simply independent entrepreneurs."

How illegal drugs get to Oak Park and River Forest | Articles | News | OakPark.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha