U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM

98 posts, read 272,092 times
I would love to see the space used as Omaha's own version of KC's Power and Lights District!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM

8,294 posts, read 13,448,201 times
So it's sold. $40.6 million to the bank that holds the mortgage.

Big surprise.

They're going to try to sell it.

Again, big surprise.

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: Metro/Region - Mall sold - and back on the market

Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 AM

8 posts, read 29,580 times
How times have changed. When I was there Crossroads was flourishing, and there has since been ridiculous sprawl out West. I was able to visit Peony Park before it was torn down. It was ok, very small. It was no Six Flags. I really think Crossroads will remain a shopping location though. That is just not enough space for a decent sized amusement park.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
[FONT=Verdana]Bosco, the Crossroads CAN be saved, but not in its current or past form. It just isn't going to happen regardless of the management. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Not because of the people of Omaha and not because of the area, but because investors and large department stores will not touch that place, period. It FAILED as a mall. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I know the reasons why it failed and to avoid getting into a pissing match with anyone here, I will avoid even going there. It doesn't really matter anyway. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The fact is, 72nd and Dodge ran its course as an indoor mall and I would look for the intersection to attract more of a corporate presence in the future. But watch out, commercial real estate has a very good chance of taking a huge dump on the city of Omaha so who knows what, if anything is going to move. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]If the timing was different and there had been a much larger young professional demographic in the downtown and midtown areas, along with public transit (streetcar) infrastructure, then I would guess investors may think differently. However, that is not the case and I don't see anyone squatting on that property and watching their money go down the toilet until then, either.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
There are a lack of young professionals in Omaha because all of the intelligent ones moved to Denver and Chicago five years ago. The city of Omaha has struck once again, turning something that was once great into a smoldering pile of sh*t. I really wish people there would get a clue and realize the potential that Omaha has a city. I couldn't handle it after 25 years, so i left. The "small town, big city" needs to go away, otherwise Omaha is doomed to stay exactly the same. Mediocre, close minded, and resistant to change.

Now, i'm not saying that all people in Omaha are this way, but there are enough to make it miserable for the free-thinkers in the area.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM

20 posts, read 27,755 times
I was in there today - my wife bought a magazine at Barnes and Noble and whilst there we took a walk through the mall to see what was left. It's sad what's has ahapened and looks like it would have been a decent mall in it's hayday.

I'm probably someone with too much of a European mindset but it's sad to see all the shopping go farther and farther from the city center. We saw more empty lots in Westroads the other day that we have ever seen before too.

I am one of those young professionals who may leave (but not for denver or chicago as we can't afford them right now, but otherwise i would love to live in Chicago) though i may yet stay. Any free thinkers in the area want to employ a software developer after doing more interesting things than internal business processes reporting and database management software then feel free to let me know. I will say, at least for my profession, even Des Moines seems a better bet in the mid-west these days.

Despite that, i don't think i'd like to see crossroads become a high tech office park necessarily, but I will say something like that is far better than becoming empty, then lying derelict, or being demolished but nothing put in it's place. Omaha has enough empty retail spots as it is.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 PM

3,284 posts, read 904,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechris View Post
I was in there today - my wife bought a magazine at Barnes and Noble and whilst there we took a walk through the mall to see what was left. It's sad what's has ahapened and looks like it would have been a decent mall in it's hayday.

I'm probably someone with too much of a European mindset but it's sad to see all the shopping go farther and farther from the city center. We saw more empty lots in Westroads the other day that we have ever seen before too.

I am one of those young professionals who may leave (but not for denver or chicago as we can't afford them right now, but otherwise i would love to live in Chicago) though i may yet stay. Any free thinkers in the area want to employ a software developer after doing more interesting things than internal business processes reporting and database management software then feel free to let me know. I will say, at least for my profession, even Des Moines seems a better bet in the mid-west these days.

Despite that, i don't think i'd like to see crossroads become a high tech office park necessarily, but I will say something like that is far better than becoming empty, then lying derelict, or being demolished but nothing put in it's place. Omaha has enough empty retail spots as it is.
Not sure if you got my private message, but let me know it you did.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM

20 posts, read 27,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Not sure if you got my private message, but let me know it you did.
yeah, i got it.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 AM

19 posts, read 30,858 times
I'm on the verge of leaving Omaha as well, my wife and I would like to move to San Francisco. I have a master’s degree in Urban Planning and every time this city does something that should be a great urban development opportunity they blow it. I'm tired of beating my head against the wall.

Crossroads Mall, if torn down, would represent the most exciting redevelopment project outside of downtown, I think the city has ever seen. I'm not sure it could be a Power and Lights district development as it doesn't have the benefit of neighboring urbanization, but if done right this site should be able to attract a super creative developer that could make it into something very unique to Omaha. I think the biggest hurdle is that the Mall sold off the SE corner of the property to Target, so how do you incorporate Target into a moderate density mixed use development? It would definitely clash. I also think that properties to the west need to be redeveloped at the same time. Bestbuy’s building is set up strangely and does not utilize its exceptional access to both Dodge and Cass. The attached building to the east has been vacant for 10 years? I recall it being a grocery store around 1996, can’t think of anything that has been in there since. The Bestbuy area and mall are also separated by a large intrusive retaining wall, which would complicate a quality redevelopment. It would also be highly advantageous for the Old Country Buffet and Show Biz Pizza complex to be folded in as well, but that would be a real stretch.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM

1,048 posts, read 1,266,959 times
The Crossroads mall has been past it's prime for many years. As of recently the lower level is all jank ran down stores. The upper level is completely vacant. Somehow Target and Barnes and Noble have hung on. I'm surprised the Sears next door is still there too. I'm not sure what that area needs, but I'm pretty sure it's not more shopping or retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha