Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times

Advertisements

Omaha TV News: Oscar

Monday, March 08, 2010
Oscar
On Sunday evening, when an Oscar winner thanked some Omahans in his acceptance speech, were we the only ones who thought we heard local newspaper columnist Mike Kelley crap himself?

No one seems more obsessed with pointing out every mention the city receives, no matter the size, so a shout-out on a live Oscar telecast must've sent the poor guy right to the underwear drawer.

after reading Mike Kelley 's article this morning
I believe Ted Brockman and the folks at Omaha TV News

about some in the omaha media 's stalker like "love" for the city.

I love Omaha too but I am not going all Chris Matthews thrill up my leg kind of love when Omaha gets mentioned nationally.

what do you think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
It's not just Omahans.

There are people in every town and city - no matter how big or small the town or city - that take themselves WAY too seriously.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's not just Omahans.

There are people in every town and city - no matter how big or small the town or city - that take themselves WAY too seriously.

so true,

Old 03-14-2010, 06:27 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,384 times
I can't help but smirk alittle when Nebraska or a city in Nebraska gets mentioned on tv.
I guess I just like it because it proves that we're out there and people know about us.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:03 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
I can't help but smirk alittle when Nebraska or a city in Nebraska gets mentioned on tv.
I guess I just like it because it proves that we're out there and people know about us.
Nothing speaks for insecurity of irrelevance more than that.

True, though, Omaha is a teeny tiny fish in a big ass pond. Sadly, most in Omaha grew up thinking the country revolved around Omaha. I thought Omaha was a 'big' city until I went to Chicago when I was 12 or so.

Wait, I'm off topic. "Omaha media sucks, rar!" There we go.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Nothing speaks for insecurity of irrelevance more than that.

True, though, Omaha is a teeny tiny fish in a big ass pond. Sadly, most in Omaha grew up thinking the country revolved around Omaha. I thought Omaha was a 'big' city until I went to Chicago when I was 12 or so.

Wait, I'm off topic. "Omaha media sucks, rar!" There we go.
I'm not from Omaha. Born and raised in Lincoln actually.
I don't think the country revolves around any part of Nebraska. I'm not extremely well traveled, but enough so to know that any city in a state barely breaking 1.5 million is not the center of the country.
So just being alittle perky when a city you're from is mentioned in countrywide media certainly does not mean that you're insecure or afraid of irrelevance.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Wow.. Now I've heard it all..

If anything, Omahan's are damn near last in vocal homerism.. You go to Cali, and you get the 'Everything is better in Cali croud', you go to Texas and you get the 'Lonestar, don't mess with Texas croud', you go to New York and people wear 'I love NY' pins on their clothes..

and then you come to city-data and find that people love the city with homerism, and act like we are out of place..

Your probably seeing a very normal human trait that loves their community and supports it above themselves.. You think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha