Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Why doesn't he just show us his diploma? I'll believe him when I see it!
Wow. You left-wingers are just too easy.

George W. Bush

Graduates and Affilitates: Yale and the World (http://world.yale.edu/graduates/index.html - broken link)

American Thinker: GWB: HBS MBA

George W. Bush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, GWBush is the only United States President to have a Harvard MBA.

Where was it, again, that you said you earned your college degrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:57 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
I tend to think Bush is a smart man, perhaps lacking judgement and logic. Not to mention, he's not the best public speaker.

I have a lot of opinions on this, but I'll hold back to avoid the hair pulling. =-)

Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 PM

704 posts, read 1,872,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

George W. Bush

Graduates and Affilitates: Yale and the World (http://world.yale.edu/graduates/index.html - broken link)

Of course I believe that he graduated from Harvard.

My point was that it just as stupid for someone to question that as it is for someone to question Barack Obama's citizenship.

The only reason people think he might be a foreigner is because he's a man of color with a funny name.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I tend to think Bush is a smart man, perhaps lacking judgement and logic. Not to mention, he's not the best public speaker.

I have a lot of opinions on this, but I'll hold back to avoid the hair pulling. =-)
Actually, I think GWB is a very smart man. I don't know why he didn't do what Bill Clinton did - specifically, seek out the training of a good speech coach (did you notice how Clinton quickly dropped his southern drawl?), because the way he talked did make him seem like a doofus.

Was he a good President? I don't think we'll really be able to know until several more years down the road.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think GWB is a very smart man. I don't know why he didn't do what Bill Clinton did - specifically, seek out the training of a good speech coach (did you notice how Clinton quickly dropped his southern drawl?), because the way he talked did make him seem like a doofus.

Was he a good President? I don't think we'll really be able to know until several more years down the road.
I'd agree. I just really have a problem with his management of the economy. Citing Bush and Cheney as both saying that "Deficits don't matter" really bothers me. Sure, you can have a deficit, but your exports damn well better offset that. We aren't even close...

I've also got some issues with the whole "Iraq thing". But that's another conversation completely.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I'd agree. I just really have a problem with his management of the economy. Citing Bush and Cheney as both saying that "Deficits don't matter" really bothers me. Sure, you can have a deficit, but your exports damn well better offset that. We aren't even close...

I've also got some issues with the whole "Iraq thing". But that's another conversation completely.
Yup.

Time will tell. The deficit thing isn't such a big deal if - as you say - other factors are in place. At the moment, I have more debt than I've ever before had in my life. But that's not as it would first appear, because along with that debt is more assets than I've ever before had, and a better debt-to-asset ratio than I've ever had.

Debt is okay if it's a sound investment. But I'm not sure that's where we were nationally when Bush was in office. I'm positive it's not sure where we are now, and frankly I'm a little alarmed by this new health care legislation that (by conservatively based estimates) is going to cost at least $940 billion. There is a point where taxation kills the economy, and I have to wonder if we've reached that point.

Iraq? That's a tough one. Having two sons that are "draft age" you better be believing I have watched that war closely! And honestly, I'm still not sure what to think. Something had to be done - no doubt. Only time will tell if we did the right thing.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Yup.

Time will tell. The deficit thing isn't such a big deal if - as you say - other factors are in place. At the moment, I have more debt than I've ever before had in my life. But that's not as it would first appear, because along with that debt is more assets than I've ever before had, and a better debt-to-asset ratio than I've ever had.

Debt is okay if it's a sound investment. But I'm not sure that's where we were nationally when Bush was in office. I'm positive it's not sure where we are now, and frankly I'm a little alarmed by this new health care legislation that (by conservatively based estimates) is going to cost at least $940 billion. There is a point where taxation kills the economy, and I have to wonder if we've reached that point.
You are absolutely right. Debt isn't always a bad thing, but you better damn well have a plan with some assets to back it. However, China is lending us all the money so our consumers can purchase non-durable goods. WASTE WASTE WASTE

Don't even get me started on the health care legislation. Let's just say that I have an almost daily conversation with some people who are very high up in some of these insurance agencies "in question" with the Obama administration.

He has flat out looked into the television cameras and lied to all of us. Either that, or he is dumb as a box of rocks. Do we need reform, to insure the uninsured and to put a lock on out of control tort liability suits, YES.

However, he is going after the only sector of that industry which struggles to keep a healthy profit margin - Insurance. If they would continue to insure everyone with pre-existing issues; if these insurance companies did not double and triple premiums - THEY WOULD GO BROKE.

Health insurance margins = approx 4%
Pharmaceuticals = 40-ish percent
Doctors, Hospitals and the like = all in the 20's.

Obama and Pelosi also stated that these insurance companies are only paying out 40cents or so on the dollar for their patients. NOT TRUE! Coventry, alone, is paying out 87 cents.

****ing fast food doesn't even run on these low of profit margins. Why can't the insurance industry reap the benefits of capitalism and compete just like everyone else?

Just ask yourself who you would attack if you wanted to take over and socialize healthcare. INSURANCE. You control insurance, you control the industry.

I was all for Obama, but I can't be anymore. If there is one thing I hate more than anything - that is being lied to. The financial repercussions of this bill is completely unknown. They can attach numbers to it all day long, but they are just as clueless as you and I.

Quote:
Iraq? That's a tough one. Having two sons that are "draft age" you better be believing I have watched that war closely! And honestly, I'm still not sure what to think. Something had to be done - no doubt. Only time will tell if we did the right thing.
My issue with Iraq: The US can save your country, as long as you have resources. (oil) There are a half dozen countries in Africa alone that should have come before Iraq. Between genocide and terrorism, we know that to be true.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Before the last election I decided I wanted to know more about Obama. I had read at least three of John McCain's books and although there are some things I liked about McCain I didn't think he was Presidential material. I figured I should read both of Obama's books before the election so I could make a better decision at the voting booth. I read DREAM'S FROM MY FATHER and THE AUDACITY OF HOPE by Obama in two days. I then reread them slowly just to make sure I had not been mistaken in my first assessment of him. Since then I have read Saul Alinsky's RULES FOR RADICALS and two other titles by him. In addition I read THE PRINCE by Machiavelli (sic?) once again. I did NOT vote for Obama. In my opinion every American adult should read BOTH of Obama's books.

GL2

Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Before the last election I decided I wanted to know more about Obama. I had read at least three of John McCain's books and although there are some things I liked about McCain I didn't think he was Presidential material. I figured I should read both of Obama's books before the election so I could make a better decision at the voting booth. I read DREAM'S FROM MY FATHER and THE AUDACITY OF HOPE by Obama in two days. I then reread them slowly just to make sure I had not been mistaken in my first assessment of him. Since then I have read Saul Alinsky's RULES FOR RADICALS and two other titles by him. In addition I read THE PRINCE by Machiavelli (sic?) once again. I did NOT vote for Obama. In my opinion every American adult should read BOTH of Obama's books.

GL2
I read his Audacity of Hope. A good buddy and colleague of mine, and English professor, said it was one of the best books he had ever read. I thought it was good, but I can't say that I loved it. I can't even really say I gained a lot of insights into his life & soul by reading it.

President Obama seems to have the ability to say all kinds of things about himself, yet leave you feeling like you really don't know him.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,703 times
Quote:

George W. Bush

OK, I'm going to tell you all a dirty little secret that the Ivy League schools don't want you to know. If you are a "legacy" student (your daddy or granddaddy attended an Ivy League school), or if your family donated a boatload of money to the school, you were given special consideration during the acceptance process. In other words, you were admitted regardless of your aptitude. This was especially true before the 1970's. It was a form of discrimination favoring the ruling class in America.
Not only are legacy students admitted, but they rarely failed. The proverbial "gentleman's 'C' " wasn't really a passing grade of "C", but rather a code-word for 'failure'. There were loads of dumb rich kids in the Ivy League back in the day, but they were careful to stay away from subject areas that were graded quantitatively (math, hard science, engineering, medicine, law). They usually ended up in business school or the liberal arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha