Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 PM

20 posts, read 49,701 times

Advertisements

If we stay in Omaha one area we are considering is Benson. We'd like Dundee but frankly, can't afford it. Benson high street looks to have a few interesting shops and stuff, and we've seen a house we like just south of the main high street area of maple. If we live their I hope I'll take a short walk to The Waiting room and here some local bands and stuff, plus use the other shops and bars along there.

Any of you live in Benson. What's the area like to live in?
Is Benson high street in general getting better or worse?
Is that grocery store on Maple (north side around 54th st) any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Not sure about Benson high, but the Benson neighborhood was one of my favorites in Omaha.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
I live in the Benson area and the have mostly bars and vintage book stores or stuff

Pizza Shoppe and Waiting Room are both good places to see local bands as is the Foundry

they have a Walgreens and a Subway also in Benson area.

the grocery store aka Louis is good but it is a little more expensive than Bakers or No Frills or Bag N save or Super Saver

Benson High getting better or worse I can comment cause I graduated from Omaha North,

but considering their football team dont do very well and their school's principal is retiring early

and the school has a trauncy problem that is widely known about, I dont know if Benson High is getting better or worse

Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 AM

20 posts, read 49,701 times
I think maybe there is a slight language thing - my enlishness perhaps causing confusin.

when i said benson high street i meant the shopping strip there on maple - we don't have kids yet (though hope to start a family in whatever place we end up) so i did mean street not and was not referring to the school. It's not that we wouldn't care about the relative success or failure of the local schools but it's not so important to us right now.

There reputation i hear is that it's nice along maple and south but not great north of maple or east of where maple and north radial join/split. I get the feeling that the success of stores on the high street will have a lot to do with how benson is seen on years to come - if the shops are successful, bars are friendly and empty places are quickly filled then great. If the city invests money into the area to keep that local downtown viable then great, but if empty lots are not getting filled with new stores, and the city doesn't care and would rather invest in Old Market and Dundee then it may not be such a great area to buy. I guess people coming in to the area will help a lot, and houses staying empty longer will not help things either. So i guess I'm trying to figure out if this is an area on the up, or if Benson and the shops on maple have had their best days already.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
there are many good houses in benson (both north and south of maple)

yeah, there are some terrible homes here and there on a street here and there in benson

but what neighborhood dont have a terrible looking house.

if you want to look for a good house in benson, try looking at 58th street between maple and pratt

(they have some very beautiful homes there on that street)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: