U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 12,948 times

Advertisements

As of right now, we are still very torn on this move. Seeing as we both have lived on the coasts, it is hard to think about moving to the middle of the country. Being from the East Coast I know that I have a big personality, and my boyfriend is from the West Coast and is really laid back. I just want to make sure we would be relocating to an open minded area. Among my research I have found breed restriction laws (which boggles my mind), and that there is a large conservative population in Omaha. We both have a lot of tattoos, and want to make sure we aren't going to be in over our heads and judged while living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM

300 posts, read 1,053,143 times
Omaha is certainly not closed minded but when thinking of Omaha open minded isn't one of the first things that pops in my head.
I know alot of alternative people that live there and they seem to have no problems. Are you into rock music? There's a huge underground rock scene there. I used to go to shows all the time.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM

481 posts, read 1,151,167 times
You will not have any problems with having tattoos or being liberal. With that said, I would say that you should look in the eastern portion of the city, which is the more established, urban, and liberal part of the metro. I think that mid-town, Benson, and Dundee would be the areas that you should look at.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Default Thanks

Those last two posts were really helpful. We are into a lot of underground music as well as art and tattooing. And it is good to know that there are places that we could possibly fit in and feel comfortable!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 AM

481 posts, read 1,151,167 times
You will have no problem finding your place here. Check out lazy-i.com for a lot of info on some of the Omaha music scence. You should also check out The Waiting Room, The Slowdown, and the Bemis Center. If you PM me with some specific things that you are interested in, I will get back to you when I have more time.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 AM

20 posts, read 43,226 times
I agree with laserdisque, though our experience suggests you will have a harder time finding apartment's in those areas without size restrictions for dogs - you'll may have to move away from the major rental websites to classifieds in the omaha herald, craigs list or other classified boards which will make researching harder. If you can find a place that will take dogs there you might also like living around the Old market. The rent is higher there but if you like coffee shops, bars, and independent shops and want to be close to stuff it could well be worth it - i've heard they even managed to open a sex shop in that areas (i've not been but it's recently been in the news because they wanted a liqor license) and if that's true, it's a serious achievement.

As for open minded - yes, sort of, but depends a bit. Because of looking for a place which allowed dogs and some of our own other things (e.g bus route going near my job) we ended being more in the burbs than the areas mentioned above - not way out or anything, but in a more conservative area than benson/dundee so this may shape our view. I do feel like there are more open minded and liberal people in the east part of town and election votes reflect that too (yes liberal and conservitive midset don't necessarily reflect Democrat or Republican votes, and it's wroong to use that generalization on individuals, but over a population i think it's a fair gague - omaha and lincoln are the only counties in the state likely to vote democrat ever for anything it seems)

Anyway, political guff aside point i was going to make is my wife feels she stands out and gets looks if she dresses in more a 'california casual' style than more American classic. She would say fashion wise, it's not particularly open minded at all, but then again, we have ended up in a more conservative area.

I have been given the impression the underground rock scene is smaller now than 3 or 4 years ago, and a couple of places known for putting on gigs stopped doing so because people weren't coming though there are still a few places with regular gigs. Also, it seems most venues here are really small or really big - not much for the bands that would sell out a 500-3000 person venue but are not big enough to book the Mid America Center or Quest Center. There's probably only one radio station that will give the underground scene any airplay too, but even then i'm not sure about that.

I freely admit not to have made use of some of this stuff here - we've yet to really feel settled and we have undergone more life changes recently than just moving here which was only a year ago and others who have been here longer will hopefully correct me if my assessment is unfair. The city has a decent stuff to offer, and I've never lived on the east coast, but if i knew I could go afford to go back to LA, i would in a heartbeat. If you are after a californian open minded, but it's probably more so than many other areas of the country and about average for a midwestern city.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 AM

2,200 posts, read 3,785,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaMarieXO View Post
As of right now, we are still very torn on this move. Seeing as we both have lived on the coasts, it is hard to think about moving to the middle of the country. Being from the East Coast I know that I have a big personality, and my boyfriend is from the West Coast and is really laid back. I just want to make sure we would be relocating to an open minded area. Among my research I have found breed restriction laws (which boggles my mind), and that there is a large conservative population in Omaha. We both have a lot of tattoos, and want to make sure we aren't going to be in over our heads and judged while living there.
You would have no problem, trust me. Plus, you probably know you won't live in Omaha forever (like me)...but it is a great experience to live in the middle of the country for a bit. I was born in FL, went to school in PA, lived out in AZ...and I know people from all over the country who live in Omaha. Yes, there are conservative areas in Omaha, but there are also liberal areas. Keep in mind that Omaha's electoral vote (Nebraska divides theirs) went to Obama in 2008. I know a lot of people with a ton of tattoos...that's no problem. Also, breed restriction laws are EVERYWHERE, but I wouldn't worry about a Mastiff... I've rarely seen them restricted except in apartment complexes that don't like large breeds.

Plus, if you ever want to take a weekend trip, Minneapolis is only 5-6 hours away (which, by the sound of it, you would absolutely LOVE)...Chicago is 7-8 hours, Kansas City is 3 hours... so you always have the option of traveling to a major city and get that feel again.

I second the Dundee recommendation...you'd love that area. Downtown is good too. Just avoid north Omaha! West Omaha and Bellevue are more conservative, with West Omaha being the rich area with nice shops and restaurants, and Bellevue/Papillion being the middle/working class suburb with lower crime.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
You would have no problem, trust me. Plus, you probably know you won't live in Omaha forever (like me)...but it is a great experience to live in the middle of the country for a bit. I was born in FL, went to school in PA, lived out in AZ...and I know people from all over the country who live in Omaha. Yes, there are conservative areas in Omaha, but there are also liberal areas. Keep in mind that Omaha's electoral vote (Nebraska divides theirs) went to Obama in 2008. I know a lot of people with a ton of tattoos...that's no problem. Also, breed restriction laws are EVERYWHERE, but I wouldn't worry about a Mastiff... I've rarely seen them restricted except in apartment complexes that don't like large breeds.

Plus, if you ever want to take a weekend trip, Minneapolis is only 5-6 hours away (which, by the sound of it, you would absolutely LOVE)...Chicago is 7-8 hours, Kansas City is 3 hours... so you always have the option of traveling to a major city and get that feel again.

I second the Dundee recommendation...you'd love that area. Downtown is good too. Just avoid north Omaha! West Omaha and Bellevue are more conservative, with West Omaha being the rich area with nice shops and restaurants, and Bellevue/Papillion being the middle/working class suburb with lower crime.

Thank you so much, that is really good to know. I am starting to warm up to the idea a bit more than I was yesterday, so who knows, maybe I will be a Nebraskan in a month! I will let you guys know for sure =) Thank you so much for your input, it has been more helpful than you know!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM

3,284 posts, read 2,855,462 times
Quote:
Uh Oh, you have tattoos? Yeah that is extremely shunned upon in Omaha.

Tats bad.
Church good.

Big personality is for sinners.
Substituting your personality with the contents of the bible good.

Seriously though, you'll be just fine. I've done a lot of traveling, spent a lot of time in California, and I see very little difference. You may turn to Nebraska public television and think WTF on some of the legislation on the menu, but it's really no different than anywhere else.

Nobody is going to come after you with pitch forks and torches because of your tattoos.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,121,084 times
Quote:
I see a lot of people with tattoos. Some covered with them. Not my cup of tea, but it's not my body or my money.

Anyway... My experience and observation is that we tend to treat us like we treat them. I smile and say "Hi" to people when I meet them on the sidewalk, or store aisle, or whatever... It is extremely rare when that person doesn't smile and say "Hi" back. Most people tend to reciprocate what is dealt them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or