U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times

Advertisements

Please HELP! From Chicago and I've been in Omaha with my husband since November and it SUCKS not having a car lol! How do I get to the library using a bus? I think there's a bus stop about a mile from my apt., but not sure how to get around yet? Didn't feel very confident with the bus line's "map". Any suggestions? Is there some sort of El train like we had in Chicago? Man, I'm so lost here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 AM

20 posts, read 43,205 times
the bus company have taken the amazingly helpful step of not making times available anywhere except their website, and routes are not available expect from their website and on a few bus shelters around the city. OH year, you can also phone the number on bus stops to get information
check out www.metroareatransit.com to get times and routes.

Sometime they will realize they may get more customers if people can get easier access to where they go and when they go there.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,108,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balletpink View Post
Please HELP! From Chicago and I've been in Omaha with my husband since November and it SUCKS not having a car lol! How do I get to the library using a bus? I think there's a bus stop about a mile from my apt., but not sure how to get around yet? Didn't feel very confident with the bus line's "map". Any suggestions? Is there some sort of El train like we had in Chicago? Man, I'm so lost here
Well... Welcome to Omaha! I'm glad you moved here just in time for the most brutal winter of the past 25 years.

Anyway, I hate to break it to you, but Omaha's Metro Bus System (MAT) absolutely sucks. I don't know how else to put it. It's almost worse than having no transit system at all. Nothing short of a complete, top-to-bottom, overhaul is going to make it better.

In the meantime, you can go to their website and try to make the most out of the dismal system. You might also want to consider investing in a bicycle (seriously). If you're anywhere near midtown or downtown, you can get to just about anywhere you need to go by riding a bike.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:11 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,461,703 times
what omaha rocks said

btw:

the 2 bus can easily get you to downtown library

as can the 30 if you are near 30th and dodge.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:17 PM

3,284 posts, read 2,852,635 times
Welcome to Omaha! "Land of no public transit" Coming from Chicago, I'm sure you're feeling stranded in your own home here. Just visit the MAT website and they will give you routes and times.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 AM

704 posts, read 1,614,051 times
You need to buy a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or