Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 PM

108 posts, read 284,534 times

Advertisements

Been trying to buy a house near Irvington (short sale... slow and perilous process!) but it looks like it may have fallen through. Since there aren't many other options nearby in my price range, I'm looking a little farther east where prices tend to be lower. One area that's caught my eye is the Orchard Park neighborhood (and adjacent Parkview Terrance and Lamps Benson) off of Hartman Ave. between 72nd and 60th. I've looked at a house there and the neighborhood at least appears to be pretty quiet, though I see on the OPD crime map there was a homicide nearby (5500 block of N. 61st Ave) in February.

So anyway... for those who live nearby or frequent the area, what is it like on a day-to-day basis? (Please only post if you're familiar with it... I've had some people try to talk me out of this area but then I find out that they're actually just prejudiced against anything east of 72nd... or even east of I-680...) Is this a reasonably quiet neighborhood where it would be safe to be out taking a walk after dark... or is this a riskier area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 04:35 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
Been trying to buy a house near Irvington (short sale... slow and perilous process!) but it looks like it may have fallen through. Since there aren't many other options nearby in my price range, I'm looking a little farther east where prices tend to be lower. One area that's caught my eye is the Orchard Park neighborhood (and adjacent Parkview Terrance and Lamps Benson) off of Hartman Ave. between 72nd and 60th. I've looked at a house there and the neighborhood at least appears to be pretty quiet, though I see on the OPD crime map there was a homicide nearby (5500 block of N. 61st Ave) in February.

So anyway... for those who live nearby or frequent the area, what is it like on a day-to-day basis? (Please only post if you're familiar with it... I've had some people try to talk me out of this area but then I find out that they're actually just prejudiced against anything east of 72nd... or even east of I-680...) Is this a reasonably quiet neighborhood where it would be safe to be out taking a walk after dark... or is this a riskier area?

orchard park is a very peaceful area of north omaha. I know people who live around there and it is great.

still puzzled why 60th and hartman 's southwest side hasnt been developed yet. been a empty lot for years but that is whole nother story. I mean they have lots of new houses and stuff on the northwest side.

it is a part of north omaha where crime hardly happens. that homicide you're talking about is a fluke for that area.

golden corral and big lots and

and the great escape theatre http://www.greatescapetheatres.com/Theater.html?zip=&theaterid=26&theaterstate=0 (broken link)

and immanuel hospital http://www.alegent.com/116.cfm

and target among other places

are with-in a mile of the orchard park area

the 5 and 8 buses run around or near orchard park plaza

Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post

I live VERY close to that area.

To the best of my knowledge it is your average middle-class neighborhood. Nothing terrible, nothing fantastic. Most of the houses are going to fall in that $75,000 - $125,000 price range, and the values should remain fairly stable.

You'd have quick & easy access to the Sorensen Plaza, Home Depot & Bakers, Immanuel Hospital, and I-680.

Could be a good deal for you.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,077 times
I live in the area. Some interesting people around there, but nothing terrible or dangerous. If you are already from Omaha, it's nothing you haven't seen already.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM

108 posts, read 284,534 times
OK -- thanks for the info! Sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha