U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,726 times

Advertisements

So I just bought my first house . I would like to put in a fence in the backyard, open to wood or vinyl. I don't need a big tall privacy fence, just something that can keep dogs in the yard. Anyone have any ballpark figures for total price installed per linear foot for something in the 4 foot range? Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,197,618 times
We moved into a Hearthstone last fall and we just recently received estimates from S&W and Quality Fence. The estimates were between $1700-$1800 for a standard 4' cedar fence with no frills. Granted, our yard is fairly small so it may be more depending on your lot size. We're going with an over scallop and gothic posts which will put the total around $1900.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,144,201 times
I have a 1/4 Acre lot. The estimates I've been getting are in the 3 grand range for a cedar privacy fence. I'm actually going to see if I can hire a contractor to dig the holes and set the posts square. I'll probably end up doing the rest myself to save some money.

Just a thought. Vinyl fencing typically have pickets that slide into place. This makes them easy to swap out without having to remove screws or nails. This also makes it easy to create a custom look by purchasing pickets in different sizes. Vinyl requires less maintenence and looks good for a long time. Wood you have to seal every so often to protect it from the elements and replacing pickets involves slightly more work, but not much.

A small downside I've noticed with vinyl is that during severe thunderstorms with high winds these pickets become projectiles and slide through the windows of your home like a hot knife through butter. The upside is that the pickets usually stay intact during this and you can easily reassemble your fence restoring privacy to your now open windows.

In otherwords. Wood is good.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 13,184 times
for a wooden fence how much spacing should u put between boards 1/4 in ok?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 13,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1 View Post
So I just bought my first house . I would like to put in a fence in the backyard, open to wood or vinyl. I don't need a big tall privacy fence, just something that can keep dogs in the yard. Anyone have any ballpark figures for total price installed per linear foot for something in the 4 foot range? Any thoughts appreciated.
Lowes quoted me $2800 for a 6 ft privacy fence 136 feet)

Old 04-22-2010, 06:56 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,685,814 times
I built my own 6 ft privacy fence for about $1000. I used green treated wood...it would have been maybe $1500-$1800 with cedar. Probably about as much as colbyson. Just to give you an idea....so $2500-$3000 to have it done might not be a bad deal.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM

696 posts, read 1,499,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1 View Post

Well it depends on how much fence. Labor would cost you about the same for 10 feet as it would 20.
But my main reason for posting is to make sure you have checked out zoning and/or home owners association rules.
They may have rules on type of material and how far the fence has to be from the property line(typical is 3 foot) .

I PMed u
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha